ALICE Backpacks?

zacharias

Reaction score
I bought an large external frame alice pack (sans frame) from the local surplus store. i hang out there a lot so they give me pretty dope discounts, so that's half the advice i have to offer.
anyways, frames are expensive, and internal frame or frameless alice packs tend to be more expensive, in my case prohibitively so, so i just bought a large one, and did some modifications to it to give it a messenger bag-style cross strap. it carries just like a messenger bag, with weight divided evenly between the back, shoulder, and chest. if anyone's interested, i can put up some pictures/guidelines. a couple friends of mine keep saying i'm gonna be paying for it in a year or so, but for right now i'm just dismissing them as naysayers. LIVEFASTDIEYOUNGGGGG
in retrospect, i probably would have bought a medium pack, since i'm never on the road for more than 7-10 days at a time, and i have so much extra space after a compression sleeping bag sack, 2-3 changes of clothes, 2 books, and some cooking gear, that its actually fucking up my weight distribution a little.

you should defs post pictures, that sounds way uncomfortable

MoetThePoet

Reaction score
I was stoked to get mine but I hate it! its heavy and hurts my back even with just a little in it, though im sure it would feel better if I got a frame, you think?

The frame can make it a little big and kind of awkward to move around your pack to get into cars etc. Makes it kind of "too wide" imo. But I've hiked for about 3 hours with a frame on and it's definetly comfortable. I would recommend go with the frame... but that depends on wether the pack is full or not.

mksnowboarder

Reaction score
Yeah, if you're carrying less than 20lb or so, the frame is just a hassle. Any more, and you'll want it.

I dunno, I like the ALICE pack. It's great for hitching, camping, and short train journeys. If you were going to be on the trains constantly, or if you were trying to do one of the long hiking trails, it'd probably be a pain in the ass, though.

My question: will a medium ALICE with frame fit through a grainer hole?

mike

Reaction score
Now, The Alice pack can be cheap , i saw they were selling for 100++
however army surplus stores can usually get them down to around $50 depending on who yew are.

I find that this pack is great once yew get used to the straps and constantly opening and closing it.

It holds a lot so it can be tempting to stuff it full
This will leave your shoulders hurting after a week of walking straight on out on the sideway.

I saw a post earlier about putting on leather shoulder straps instead.
Does a real skin like fabric make it less harsh on your shoulders.....idk but we might as well try.

As far as getting into cars i found it sat very nicely in my lap or in the next spot over in the back ,
some people tried saying to put it in their trunk but i'm totally never down with that , always aware.
as far as strange people only known for a second go anyway.

It held up well in the rain , my water container even leaked inside the pack! luckily everything that was weak against water was in a plastic ziplock, *thank yew plastic*
I usually use a raincoat or any type of nylon tarp coat and drape it over my head and over my pack .
Pack bags are dumb expensive, and just kind of a waste of money in my situations thus far.

Carry light , and yea it'd be sick if someone could tell us whether or not this alice frame has been able to fit inside the owl hole!!!!
thanks andddd peace

Reaction score
I was stoked to get mine but I hate it! its heavy and hurts my back even with just a little in it, though im sure it would feel better if I got a frame, you think?

dude definitely get a frame, especially if you're carrying more than like.....25 lbs or so
I just remembered that my pack was weighed in at a greyhound station.....i wish i remember it's weight

anyway , good luck and maybe change the shoulder strap material ""77"" up there has a video with different straps ....idk if it would help but it sure is an idea!!!!

R315

Reaction score
My question: will a medium ALICE with frame fit through a grainer hole?

mike

Yes it will. I just got a large ALICE to throw my army mountain bag in and the first train I rode with it I was in a grainer. It was a tight squeeze with all the shit I carry for winter, but it slipped right in.

danmurphyiv

Reaction score
i use a three day tactical loadout backpack. its a modular system so you can put attachmets on it. i have it for three years the thing is my best friend.

dharma bum

anarcho-transcendentalist
Reaction score
i've had several backpacks in my day. external, internal and frameless. my last pack was a granite gear vapor trail. virtually no outside pockets (except the two mesh ones for water bottles), top loading and no lid. very minimalist and very light-weight. could carry up to 35lbs. one of the buckles broke after 3 weeks (my fault for tightening too hard) on the AT and i should've gotten mine with a smaller hip belt. needless to say, i took it back to rei after my hike.

i've been looking at the granite gear escape a.c. 60 (Escape A.C. 60). i've tried it on with all my gear inside and it feels awesome! i like that it has an external compartment that zips down the front for things you might need quick access too. it's a little pricy but i'd say it's worth it.

for now, i'm sticking to my ALICE pack. large with a frame (i'm not sure if they even come frameless??) mostly i just squat in the wilderness for a while, so i like to carry more than i need (food, water, etc..), that's why i have the large. i want to look into the MOLLE packs though. they look a little more practical and comfortable for long treks when you can't catch a ride.

• Useful
Reactions: Psi em
M

Monkeywrench

ALICE packs certainly come frameless. Since they are Army surplus, you can purchase them with or without. Why you'd pack one to the brim with everything you'd need and THEN ditch the pack is beyond me (personal preference, whatever).

I traveled with a (medium?) ALICE for a year, and I've amazed myself on several occasions with just how much shit I could fit into such a small space. Besides space being an issue--those packs can take one hell of a beating.

What they lack is waterproofing and comfort, they make up for 10x in durability. I've thrown it off moving trains, had it tumble down cliff sides, sat out in the rain, dragged over rocks, chewed on by dogs, sat on by countless people.. not a single bend or break. The most damage I've seen has been a couple wear and tears on the straps fabric. Other than that, the Army designed these to endure combat in inclement weather, so hobo'ing isn't going to do much harm.

If it's comfort you're looking for, seek another pack. Or get used to it. After a couple weeks, your ALICE will be the only pack you want around.

xRastaxRuggzx

Reaction score
I got my medium ALICE pack from my old road dogg when he retired. It holds up great, its been used for about thirty years. It is a bit wide though, but i cant complain, just need a new compression sack.

colorado

Reaction score
medium alice pack no frame sucks so i cut up a military h harness and use it quit well no more aches or cuts and with this set up u can go under a fence and not catch yourself

dharma bum

anarcho-transcendentalist
Reaction score
just retired my ALICE for a kelty redwing 3100 and it's the shit. zips like a school bookbag but has enough space for my sleeping bag, tarp, bivy, socks, stove and food, bedroll on the bottom (tons of daisy chains and ice loops everywhere), and much much more if you need to. 4 compression straps good shoulder and hip belts and very versatile. good amount of pockets (external and internal) a very comfortable for an internal, single stay pack. I got it for $50 new (60% off) from cleansnipe.com

dang

Reaction score
I recently purchased a frame from Down East Inc. that is compatible with my ALICE pack. This frame should be lighter and more durable than the original. I haven't received the frame yet though, so we'll see.

Online Store - downeastinc.com

Next, I plan to get MOLLE II system waist/kidney belt and shoulder straps which should be compatible with the Down East frame. Both can be bought off ebay for pretty cheap.

The final modification I plan to make will be to replace the two main compartment buckles with fastex buckles for easier access.

I got my ALICE on the cheap, so after these mods it will end up costing around the same as a lower-end REI pack, yet with the durability and (hopefully) comfort of some of the higher-end packs.

I think ALICE is rad because it's easily customizable and because all the external pockets mean you can stay organized.

I'll let you know how the mods go and maybe post before/after pictures.

Matt aka Sparks

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
View attachment 22521 Here's my ALICE. It's a lil beat up but serves me well. There's room for another ammo pouch above the one I already have on, but I doubt I'll get one. I am going to get the 2 liter bladder with the pouch and clip it to the other side. No more carrying a damned gallon jug around.

D

Deleted member 363

I wouldn't recommend an alice pack. They're are uncomfortable, bulky, and usually old as hell. Just find something new in the clearance section at a sporting store. I found a North Face (I think 35 or 40 Liter) for $40.

Dishka8643

Reaction score
ALICE packs can be comfortable if the frame fits you. It seems like people with longer torsos usually have problems with the frame being too short, and jutting into their kidneys and making the hip belt unusable. The only way to know is to try one on. I have a large ALICE pack, and personally, I think it's a great pack for the money.

blackswan

Reaction score
Backpacks?

I've learned that spending that much money on a pack just gets it stolen. not from personal experience but lots of people I know who have owned the nice ones have ended up with them jacked.

The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads