Age | Page 3 | Squat the Planet

seasonchange

Reaction score
when i was 16-17, i dated someone 23-24, which in retrospect is kind of a big difference, though it really didn't feel that way at the time. in most cases, i'd find that a little fucked up, but age really doesn't dictate maturity, and i feel we were well suited for each other, with the exception being he was much more ready and willing to settle down. that was what ended our relationship in the end.
i'm currently dealing with feelings for someone ten years my senior, who i lived with for a short time in a communal/punk warehouse. maybe he's just young for his age? but we've got a whole lot in common. and i think once you're at a point in life where you know what you want, what your values are, and what you're willing to compromise on, and you find someone else with similar ideals, you should go for it, if you want it.
i feel like we complement each other well and suit each other.
so if you and yours is legal, fuck age. do what you want.

KatAttack

Reaction score
Website
takeoldmakenew.wordpress.com
You're only as old as you act and feel.
I'm 20, I look about 16, but my state of mind is that of a 26 year old.
Based on that the majority of guys I date are mid to late twenties.
But for everyone else, as long as its legal and you have the best of intentions and connect on a deep level, it doesn't matter physical age.

CrisM

Reaction score
Like mentioned above, aside from obvious age issues, it depends on the people involved. When I was 16, I dated a 23 year old. I don't regret it and have always been a pretty level headed person myself. However, I've known people with the same age difference and it was disastrous and years after it ended, it was followed with "how could I be so immature to expect that to work". A large age difference can be tough on people too considering the surrounding drama from family and peers. It can determine whether the relationship is worth it.

freedude2012

Reaction score
heres ho i see the age thing in a nut shell

if your happy with the person that your with who the hell cares abought an age gap as long as both people are leagel consenting adults what should it matter how much older or yonger one is from the other and if people dont like it they can jus look at somethin else

X

XMNnmx

I can't help but find something distasteful about older male/younger female relationships. It's a bit silly, and I cannot place exactly why.

But I hate how it's so much more acceptable than older female/younger male. I had (have, actually) a ridiculous crush on someone who was 31 while I was 18. She seemed to frown upon me because of our age difference. Even though she spent all her free time going to indie concerts and dressing like Alice Glass.

Avog0dro

Reaction score
I don't put too much thought towards age, as I do maturity. I believe as long as the person is old enough, developed and knowledgeable enough of the consequences and ordeals that come with a relationship then it's none of my business. But, that also calls on some forethought by the elder as well. Life is circumstantial, so a younger person maybe attracted to older partners due to abuse, or other circumstances, so the elder should take those possibilities into account, and not be blinded by the idea of relieving the youthful vigor. If their attraction to you is less for you and more for your age, you should try and recognize that, so you prevent possibly damaging someone more.

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Reaction score
I can't help but find something distasteful about older male/younger female relationships. It's a bit silly, and I cannot place exactly why.

But I hate how it's so much more acceptable than older female/younger male. I had (have, actually) a ridiculous crush on someone who was 31 while I was 18. She seemed to frown upon me because of our age difference. Even though she spent all her free time going to indie concerts and dressing like Alice Glass.
It's pretty obvious the double standard American society has in place with age difference relationships. All one has to do is read this whole thread and there it is. Why is it more acceptable for older women to be with younger men, than it is for older men to be with younger women? I have my suspicions about what's really going on subconsciously here.
I say as long as all parties involved are consenting legal adults... who cares?... I certainly don't!

Reactions: 0ddity

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
Its funny how perceptions change over time. There was a time In Quebec (and I'm sure everywhere else) where 40yr old men where shacking up with 12yr girls and starting families. Completely legit thing to do 150 years ago, now a days you would be labeled a pedo. Same act, different time...just goes to show how much of the world is based on perception, and people will go with what ever they are told.

E

Earth

I was waiting to someone to bring this up, as I'm one of those who feels that age is not just a number, that it's far more important because it ties one with a particular time a place.

I am of the Reagan Youth.

I was 18 in 1983, and only know my place of birth (W.Berlin) as a divided city in a divided country that was expecting to be the battleground for war between the states and the soviets.

My own experiences have shown that now (meaning the last few years) I don't do too well with anyone less than - say 3 years younger than me (I'm 47 in a couple of days) - mainly because my generation was in a very different time and place than say some kid who's in their early 30s - meaning there is no possible way we could ever agree on anything, because we would never see things the same way - because of how / where we grew up, what was happening at the time, etc....

I draw that number only because (if I did my math right) it implies graduation of high school around the late 90's, which means they only know life in the computer world, where I still have fond memories of when a rotary phone (with no answering machine either) was the most sophisticated form of communication one could achieve (besides SSB HF comm...) and letters were written to be saved and cherished, while an email almost never cuts it....
(and before you crucify me for implying that all people in their early 30s are kids, that's just an observation I've made based on my own life experiences)

My generation couldn't wait to leave the nest ASAP (by age 18 - 21) and get on with their life, be it joining the service, getting a job, whatever - we just wanted to be on our own - and fuck that roomate shit too!!

This is something as a whole I don't see that today.

I instead see this whole 'sense of community' crap where everybody is living together wasting time but at the same time doing things they would have never done in their parents house (like almost trying to be responsible) and it just makes me want to puke.

Older folks on the other hand - there's no age limit there - because I'm closer to those generations than I am to todays....

About 2 years ago, I met a struking woman in her 60's after I was done sea kayaking and was in the process of loading my gear up.

We made some small talk, and it turned out she was an avid photographer - meaning 35mm B&W print film, none of this digital crap - and what was even more astounding was that she was very much into the NYC Art scene which sadly no longer exists, as I'm talking about what was happening during the 1980's when Art was really out of control there, as it was everywhere - gallerys, in the street - on walls, buildings - everywhere one looked there was art.

She was an incredible woman and I knew right then and there that the current relationship I was in (with a woman much younger than me) was never ever going to work because - even though we theoretically had similar interest, there was no common ground whatsoever.
Sad too, because she was a good woman - we just should have known better to get involved with one another - because our generations had nothing in common at all....

But that older woman, I never saw her again.
What I would do to cross paths with her now............

Funny enough, I'm thinking about going sea kayaking in a couple of hours - time to do a weather check :)

GhostWithTheMost

Previously HoboSquirrell
Reaction score
Ive always found that this argument, doesnt come up as much amongst street kids, as Ive lived on the streets for the over half my life. It seems more to be a maturity thing as apposed to being "Age Based" living outside...that, and people just dont usually ask ages very often..Ive hung out with kids for Weeks that were great kids, mature as any older people Ive known only to find out they were in there teens. I dont support exploitation in any manner, so I dont think its cool by any means for a 40 year old to be fucking a 14 year old...But I think a few years apart doesnt hurt anyone in the long run. Honestly..Its just about using your fucking brain...

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Reaction score
Yeah I'm sure street kids probably are also less likely to participate in the other double standards too. Such as the one where
if a woman fucks a bunch of guys she's considered a slut, but if a guy fucks a bunch of women he's a pimp. Which is a bunch
of bullshit, I've had other guys tell me "well it's a double standard in our favor", no it's not, double standards favor no one in the
end. Like wizehop pointed out, perceptions change with time and I think this one certainly is changing, after all cougars are not
demonized like older men sometimes are.
The other double standard, the economic one, is probably non-existent among street kids. The one where some women like to
flex their economic independence proclaiming they don't need a man to take care of them(good for you ladies)... but will then
judge a man according to archaic provider criteria(not cool). This double standard is the one that effects me the most because
of my financial situation.
Many of the women that I've dated usually end things with me for more stable and financially secure men, sometimes they
come back again down the road from time to time, but usually because they were lacking adventure or romance with the wealthier
guy, or sometimes they just were not getting to come. I always seem to be "the other guy" or "Mr. Right now", but hey I can't
complain, there are guys out there who don't even get laid... poor bastards, lol.
The younger women I've been involved with in the past few years have only been 10 - 6 years younger (mid-late 20's), it just
seems to work out that way.
As for exploitation, that can be a two way street. I never underestimate someone just because they are younger than me.
When I was 30 I hooked up with this woman who was 18 (go ahead and judge me, if you like), she came on to me and initiated
things. I met her trough a friend in common between our ages, we met at the little coffee house that she owned(yes owned,
at 18). She started giving me the cold shoulder soon afterwards despite having enjoyed herself. Two weeks latter after a few
drinks with my younger brother on Christmas Eve, we both discovered that she had hooked up with both of us!
Younger people can exploit people who are older than them, just ask anyone in a nursing home.

O

OfCourseLeanne

19 & 17 isnt bad at all
29 & 15 is fucking gross

my old boyfriend used to get a lot of shit because he was 17 and i was 15, but age is just a number. as long as its not like 35 & 12, or something like that, a little age difference is ok.

ElectroGypsy

Reaction score
I am 22+ and I agree that age difference is not a big issue.

It is, I suspect not about age, but about what is in your head. I have seen these things work well, or explode in an epic fashion. Though I guess that is not so different from anything else, now that I think about it.

ByronMc

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
My wife was 14 years younger then me,we got along,had tons o fun,etc ! We had lots of friends,who liked that we were together,our parents liked it ! Now,I'm single,yes,once again,my x-wife and I get along,she has a boy age 6,not mine ! Anyway,am single,not fucking anyone,due to me not wanting any extra ties,smart move right now ! I have friends of all ages,and stand by my true friends,thick & thin ! AGE DOES NOT MATTER,except when the person is under age !.................The other day,two hot young women in short skirts,kept on flashing me,taking photos of me,while we were in a coffee shop,all done on purpose ! I looked,as I am a man,smiled,and went back to drinking my coffee,then they did it again,as they got up,went to the door,turned and looked right at me,I smiled ! Now,if they had walked up to me,handed their ID to me,so I'd knew they were over 18,we'd be gone out the door ! Now tell me,who on these post,has an issue with that !

BrittanyTheBananarchist

Reaction score
me and my husband have been married a year hes 33 and im 19. personnally i could never get along with anyone near my own age. and me and him have been doing great i enjoy the fact of him being older cuz hes done a lot of stuff learned from it ect. hes intelligent and is great to learn things from. he has a lot of stuff to talk about and many opinions on things and i think that has a lot to do with his age. either way im happy with the age difference.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads