Advice on essentials to bring for a first timer

3rdEyeVision

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Alright so this is my first time travelling across the country homeless. I need some kind folks on here to give me some good advice on what to bring. But only things I'll really REALLY need and that's it. I want to keep my load as light as possible but not be a dumb ass and leave out something that will keep me set in random situations. I have a solid list in my head for now though. I'm buying the ultralight class of backpack, sleeping bag, and tent so those main things will be as light as they come. But I'm doin this shit on food stamps only and no money so before I leave I wanna make sure I am set with everything so I can rough it like a ballin' bum. Thanks for readin' hope to hear from ya'll. Peace.

thapoet

Mr. Grizzly Bear bait
Reaction score
at least 3 different ways to light a fire...mmake you a homemade hobo stove and an alcohol burner... a spoon and can opener.... a wool blanket.... draws and socks... you will RELLY respect clean underwear like never before...pocket knife, belt or neck knife.... mini fishing kit.... AN ATLAS!!!! water filter, poncho, good shoes, plastic water bottle, stainless steel water bottle, flashlight and batteries, phone, mp3 player to ease the pain, string, rope, 550 cord....and whatever else you might like for creaturemcomforts... by the way, those tall skinny glacier water bottles are frikkin awesome.... for knives, i recommend a mora classic and any pocket knife.... if you need or want a mora i will give u one... i also have a few extra packs andmsome other things i can pass down bro... theres other things i could mention packing, but this is pretty much my minimum pack... also a bahco laplander saw and a hatchet... slingshot and ammo.... OH!!! BANDANA'S!!!!! mess kit... for a mess kit i just use a canteen cup, a ss waterbottle and i jacked one of those badass small skillets from waffle house... the kind they make the omelets in....

3rdEyeVision

Banned
Reaction score
Oh and an alligator suitcase for the mixtape, and a black skank spray painted gold... Hit the highway... Make money the fly way...

SJ-1001-54-Alligator.jpg

3rdEyeVision

Banned
Reaction score
at least 3 different ways to light a fire...mmake you a homemade hobo stove and an alcohol burner... a spoon and can opener.... a wool blanket.... draws and socks... you will RELLY respect clean underwear like never before...pocket knife, belt or neck knife.... mini fishing kit.... AN ATLAS!!!! water filter, poncho, good shoes, plastic water bottle, stainless steel water bottle, flashlight and batteries, phone, mp3 player to ease the pain, string, rope, 550 cord....and whatever else you might like for creaturemcomforts... by the way, those tall skinny glacier water bottles are frikkin awesome.... for knives, i recommend a mora classic and any pocket knife.... if you need or want a mora i will give u one... i also have a few extra packs andmsome other things i can pass down bro... theres other things i could mention packing, but this is pretty much my minimum pack... also a bahco laplander saw and a hatchet... slingshot and ammo.... OH!!! BANDANA'S!!!!! mess kit... for a mess kit i just use a canteen cup, a ss waterbottle and i jacked one of those badass small skillets from waffle house... the kind they make the omelets in....

Solid fucking list bro thank you. I am honestly just going to skip worrying about cooking shit and eat a lot of raw veggies and fruits so I can stay healthy and eat quick and easy. Thanks a lot for the knife recommendation and the items you offered man. If I happen to be by you when I am making my way out west I'll have to come say what up. I will definitely be taking some of these things though. Some I don't feel I'll need but maybe I'm wrong. I did actually have most of what you said on my list so I guess I'm not doin bad :D

thapoet

Mr. Grizzly Bear bait
Reaction score
i know u passes on the mess kit bro, but bring a metal container or 2 just in case man... seriously... boil water in at least... make pine needle tea to keep from getting scurvy... etc... i am still planning on heading west as well so maybe we can hook up and head out man...

• Useful
Reactions: Dolphin

3rdEyeVision

Banned
Reaction score
i know u passes on the mess kit bro, but bring a metal container or 2 just in case man... seriously... boil water in at least... make pine needle tea to keep from getting scurvy... etc... i am still planning on heading west as well so maybe we can hook up and head out man...

That would be awesome. I'll take your word and get dat shit. But I got 4 people comin with me for sure. I'm kinda stuck on whether more is better or worse cause I know that we won't be gettin rides easy with 5-6 people..

thapoet

Mr. Grizzly Bear bait
Reaction score
nah u will def be hoofin it alot... alot of tent pitchin bro... def take the cookware man... i have all that and more in my big pack and it only weighs 44 lbs.... plus i carry extra boots and flip flops... i will break my big bag down tomorrow and post a pic if that might help or maybe even a short vid...

Reactions: p4r4d0x

Mongo

Reaction score
bug repellant with a high percentage of deet, worry about the cancer later them little critters will eat you alive.

Reactions: thapoet

thapoet

Mr. Grizzly Bear bait
Reaction score
oh, theres a great app called bike route planner... get it if u have a smart device... it shows bike friendly routes which can also be walk friendly routes....

Reactions: p4r4d0x

3rdEyeVision

Banned
Reaction score
nah u will def be hoofin it alot... alot of tent pitchin bro... def take the cookware man... i have all that and more in my big pack and it only weighs 44 lbs.... plus i carry extra boots and flip flops... i will break my big bag down tomorrow and post a pic if that might help or maybe even a short vid...

Word man. Well I would love to have you come along. I'm planning on hitting the road mid to late may. I'm in the up right corner of IL can you make it here by then?

thapoet

Mr. Grizzly Bear bait
Reaction score
def bug repellent!!! BUT, also learn how to identify wax myrtle... rub those leaves on ya and wah-lah! also burn the green leaves at nite to keep bugs away... several other plants work as well, i can post more info like that if u need...

3rdEyeVision

Banned
Reaction score
bug repellant with a high percentage of deet, worry about the cancer later them little critters will eat you alive.

Dude such simple advice but definitely good shit. Thank you. I didn't even think of that shit man, I'm pretty fuckin allergic to mosquitos too, when I get bit my bites swell up 3x the size of normal bites too :( Oh well! Gotta be free.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads