Advice for Coyote Gulch | Squat the Planet

Advice for Coyote Gulch

E

EchoTheDrifter

In about 3 months, I leave for a six month road trip tour of the western U.S. and Canada. For the most part, I'm content to drive everywhere and do a little light hiking. But there is one place I'd like to see that will require a little more extensive hiking - Coyote Gulch and the Jacob Hamblin Arch.

It looks like the closest I can park my vehicle is about 2 miles away as the crow flies, and as near as I can tell, most of the path to the gulch appears to be pretty flat. If all I had to worry about was hiking for 4 miles in the desert - I don't think I'd be as concerned. But there will obviously be some substantial elevation changes once I get to the gulch. It's really hard to get a sense for how big of a hike it is just by looking at satellite photos, and I'm wondering if anyone can give me a sense for just how tough or dangerous a hike this might be.

Except for my dog and unless I find a hiking partner at the last minute, I'll be travelling alone. I'd like to find a daycare spot nearby where I can leave my dog while I do this hike (if anyone knows of any). I'll be packing plenty of water and will have some emergency supplies with me, but I have no climbing gear and really no special hiking gear, either. I'm not in the greatest shape, but my biggest fears are some old ankle injuries that like to get aggravated at the worst possible times.

I really want to do this hike. I just don't want to get all the way out there and find out I'm in way over my head. Am I worrying too much? Are there easier paths out there for people with less experience?

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Coyote gulch is an easy hike with a little scrambling. Take plenty of water and try not to do it in the middle of summer. its fucking spectacular, man. Have a great hike. If you have any other questions about the area, HMU. I work in Southern Utah.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
BTW it is really REALLY remote out there, however there is usually someone else on that trail, almost always. You can take a water filter and fill up at the lake at the end of the canyon.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads