A Politely Hostile Performance Review of the Anarchist "Community" | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

A Politely Hostile Performance Review of the Anarchist "Community"

connerR

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I agree with whaleofashrimp to an extent, though I don't think anarchists are retards. The PC thing does bother me, though, it's like that beautiful A//Political song "Obscene Gestures": "in another part, two factions face off, who's more PC? Who's more punk? Who's more violent? Who's more drunk?" It seems like political correctness is being pushed to the bleeding edge, by a lot more than just anarchists, too.

No one may be encouraging white guilt here, but I've had that card played on me before. It's annoying, especially when it comes from the mouth of some idealistic college student.

Honestly, I really don't see an anarchist revolution ever taking place. I just don't trust human nature enough for it to work.

whaleofashrimp

Reaction score
PC androgynous retards? Well you're an insensitive prick then aren't you? No one is encouraging "white guilt", but if you don't understand the concept of white privilege then I don't have much to say to you. You really think this is some sort of numbers game...As far as I'm concerned, if people aren't willing to shut up and listen, fuck em. This system is going to crash regardless, we're just trying to make it as nice as possible. Hopefully "the revolution" doesn't require planetary death and/or human extinction.

you know what? i dont understand it..i've never been in the position to oppress anyone in my goddamn life..so i'm not gonna go cry in the woods and piunch myself..i may be white but i'm not some snot nosed upper middle class kid trying to be poor because it's cool

if you cant win me over you cant win the majority over..and when you cant win the majority over..well shit..when it does collapse i'm gonna laugh
because all your illusions about what you think the "revolution will be"...he..i wont say there wrong..i'm just gonna say there as likely as the messiah knocking on my door and offering christmas ham
anythings possible in our quantum world

yeah i'm insensitive

because i'm sick and tired of theese little twats telling me i should feel shame
fuck that..i was rased on shame
no shame anymore

whaleofashrimp

Reaction score
i will admit androgynous does sound homophobic and antiitrans-gender
which i am against
if you know what i'm talking about you know what i'm talking about..otherwise we should discuss it over the phone or something

lobotomy3yes

Reaction score
Just by admitting that sounded homophobic, you've shown that you DO get what I am saying. That's what I mean by being "PC". When you say something that sounds wrong, or shows a bit of privilege, fess up. That's all it takes. No need to be shameful or anything, just understand where you might fuck up and then be open about it when you do.

No need to "act poor" like you said, and no need to act "PC". If everyone was willing to admit their shit like that, we wouldn't have the problems we do. So props to ya there. I can understand being pissed off at lifestylists and trendy anarchists (pisses me off too). I don't see how that applies to anarchists in general. Sadly it is usually the idiots who get the attention while the dedicated do all the work.

To clarify a bit, I don't think think it matters what the majority believes or not. The earth is still in a dire situation, and those who care must act regardless. Once the planet isn't about to be destroyed, then we can worry about all that other jazz.

connerR

Banned
Reaction score
I don't dislike anarchists, they at least aren't uncomfortable talking about politics/etc (just about everyone I run into these days), but I just think their ideas live in a world that isn't very realistic.

yarn and glue

Reaction score
Website
couragequail.bandcamp.com
I just think their ideas live in a world that isn't very realistic.

In my mind, that's always been the point. Why settle for the accepted reality, the status quo? It's obviously only paying off for a minute percentage at the top (and arguably not working for them, either), so why not change it?

Here are the three most basic points all anarchists demand:

Direct Democracy;

Voluntary Association;

Mutual Aid.

So yeah, the tenets of anarchism might not be entirely realistic, but they're not exactly batshit insane, either -- no demands for More Dragons, or Personal Rocketships.

Alas, I continually run into this assumption that anarchists want a nation- or worldwide, violent revolution. Now, I have some ideas about where that rumor may have been generated, but in the end, that's what it is -- hearsay. My personal anarchist revolution is living on land where I can provide for myself and my community, and be accountable to no one but my friends and neighbors.

Crazy, I know.

Franny

Reaction score
Alas, I continually run into this assumption that anarchists want a nation- or worldwide, violent revolution. Now, I have some ideas about where that rumor may have been generated, but in the end, that's what it is -- hearsay. My personal anarchist revolution is living on land where I can provide for myself and my community, and be accountable to no one but my friends and neighbors.

Crazy, I know.

This is exactly why I think anarchism IS possible, because in my mind (and dreams), this is what anarchism is.

I've been enjoying watching this conversation, and just wanted to put in my two cents that violent revolution is some strange urban legend regarding the whole of anarchism, and personally I just want the freedom to take care of my damned self and the people in my community.

connerR

Banned
Reaction score
That sounds similar to libertarianism and it's something that I would support. But I still doubt it's possible. I think humans are engineered toward being oppressed by something or another.

Franny

Reaction score
That sounds similar to libertarianism and it's something that I would support. But I still doubt it's possible. I think humans are engineered toward being oppressed by something or another.

Of course. But humans have to recognize their tendency towards being oppressed, learn to thwart it as much as possible, and beyond that learn to deal.

And I honestly think that if society was organized as groupings of smaller communities rather than operating on a global level under the rule of megacorporations, ridding ourselves of that need for oppression would be simpler.

whaleofashrimp

Reaction score
i should apologize about my earlyer post..i got in a fight with an anarchist friend earlier..thats nho excuse for name calling and mud slinging

what bothers me about anarchism is not the philosiphy, i agree with mutual supporting communities, but the anarchist themselves

people who are wrapped up in a belief to the point of unquestioning dogma are a bore
weather there religious rightists or leftists

dogma is the problem
and the inability to question your own beliefs or recognize certain facts and conditions that may contridict them

also it's the hair splitting that gets to me
instead of looking at the big picture..many are wrapped up in obsessing over theoretical nonesense..maybe it's because the big pictures to depressing to look at?

wartomods

Reaction score
Years ago,I stopped calling myself an anarchist,and you have just voiced so many of the reasons(yep,bull***t was rampant even in those ancient days!).I hope for the few that will read your "review",and come away thinking about what they can build;rather than what they can tear down.They will be the folks that actually help us a a species to have a better chance.

i agree.

Btw i dont agree with any anarchist ideology.

lobotomy3yes

Reaction score
i should apologize about my earlyer post..i got in a fight with an anarchist friend earlier..thats nho excuse for name calling and mud slinging

what bothers me about anarchism is not the philosiphy, i agree with mutual supporting communities, but the anarchist themselves

people who are wrapped up in a belief to the point of unquestioning dogma are a bore
weather there religious rightists or leftists

dogma is the problem
and the inability to question your own beliefs or recognize certain facts and conditions that may contridict them

also it's the hair splitting that gets to me
instead of looking at the big picture..many are wrapped up in obsessing over theoretical nonesense..maybe it's because the big pictures to depressing to look at?
I think you are probably right about the big picture being too depressing. The future seems rather bleak. That is not why I don't discuss the big picture though. I have a hard time seeing any big picture. I am a detail person. I may find something interesting or point out some important detail, but I get way too lost in this stuff to ever come up with any coherent idea of what any big picture should look like. I'll leave that up to all you big picture people haha.

Dogma is always an obstacle. It's even worse for anarchists, because isn't that kind of what we want to get away from in the first place?

I think that it is pretty clear that anarchists in the West must return to "Propaganda of the Deed." Anarchists of the past saw the most success with action, but still not as successful as they had hoped to be. That's why we need to discuss these things really. To understand our limitations and advantages and to share ideas for making change. Many anarchists today aren't too concerned with this, and I am also frustrated by these people. Yes, it's not all about blowing things up or even tearing things down, but there comes a point where one need to step up to the plate and actually do something. There are those who think that by simply changing themselves they will change society. Don't get me wrong, personal change is a good thing. It is probably the first step to becoming a better anarchist too. It just can't stop there. Lifestylism isn't going to stop corporate terror and state atrocities. We have to do that ourselves.

Assume that no one will act but you. Are your beliefs still worth acting for? For me, yes. If shit don't change, we are all fucked. Whether people listen or not, I can't just do nothing. That's already a given for me. I come to places such as these simply to discuss related subjects and gain new insights into the matter at hand. I am rather skeptical that banging heads against cops a la black bloc is doing anything other than releasing endorphins. A revolutionary coping mechanism. I have my own ideas for bringing about change which I will share upon request, just so no one thinks I'm just being overly critical. That stuff usually has a specific format to it.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
this has been one of the most intelligent threads ive read on here in a while. thank you.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$20.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads