News & Blogs - A Couple Convert An Old School Bus Into A Light and Efficient Family Home | Squat the Planet

News & Blogs A Couple Convert An Old School Bus Into A Light and Efficient Family Home

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
A Couple Convert An Old School Bus Into A Light and Efficient Family Home

By Melissa Dalton – February 27, 2018

large.jpg

The Mayes family transformed a Thomas High Top into a well-organized and airy humble abode, using thoughtful storage and a minimalist color palette.

When Gabriel and Debbie Mayes decided to embrace the tiny house movement, they knew the transition would be anything but easy. For starters, they—along with their four children—were used to calling 5,000 square feet home. But they were intrigued with the idea of living in a much smaller space, so when they found "Skoolie," an old school bus, they knew the time had come to take the plunge and downsize.

Yet, before they could kickstart their adventure on the road, they had to conduct a major DIY renovation. After months of hard work, the Mayes Team successfully transformed the 250-square-foot bus into a comfortable home for their family.

Keep scrolling for all the fascinating "before" and "after" images.

Before:

large.jpg

When the Mayes Team found "Skoolie," it still had the bus seats intact.

large.jpg

Here is what the bus looked like once the seats were removed.

large.jpg

The team taped the layout on the floor and carefully installed the framework for the home.

large.jpg

They opted for a clean, crisp shade of white for the exterior of the bus.
In the redesign, the couple eschewed a common center aisle layout, as they did not want people walking into the bus and having a sightline to the sleeping area. Therefore, they decided to cluster the kitchen and bathroom together about midway through the bus's length.

By positioning the children's bunks and master bedroom toward the back, they were able to keep the social areas—such as the kitchen and living space—separated from the private sleeping quarters.

For finishes, they opted for a predominantly black, white, and gray palette, while also incorporating wood accents for warmth.

After:

large.jpg

Above is a look at the living area. The couches can seat the entire family, and can also be converted into a full bed, if needed. There is storage in the bases of the couch and a shoe shelf by the front door. "This has been such a blessing and has helped us to keep the bus organized," the Mayes Team explains.

large.jpg

Here is a close-up view of the entry. Note the organization tricks for a small space, such as the tray, wall hooks, message board, and paper catchall.

large.jpg

Due to limited space, the couple maximized storage in every inch possible on the bus.

large.jpg

For the L-shaped kitchen, the family chose an under-counter fridge/freezer unit in order to have more counter space. The 23-inch Vigo sink is deep enough to bathe a baby, or hide dirty dishes.

large.jpg

The countertops are birch-wrapped plywood. The matte black hardware and faucet punctuate white cabinets and peel-and-stick tile. A magnetic knife strip and mounted paper towel holder is another way they can save space. The dish rack is folded and stored under the sink when not in use.

large.jpg

The Mayes did not want to separate the fixtures in the bathroom, so this one hosts the sink, toilet, and a shower. The brass mirror bounces light in the small space.

large.jpg

The matte black hardware and shower fixture is consistent with the kitchen finishes.

large.jpg

There are four bunks for the kids' sleeping area, fitted over the wheel wells, and a door that separates the parents' bedroom at the back of the bus. Because the mattress is positioned over the engine, it sits high enough so there can be clothing storage below it. The couple writes on their blog: "Our bedroom has so much storage we haven't even used all of it!"
To learn more about this renovation, or to follow along with the family's travels, check out their website and Instagram.

Source: https://www.dwell.com/article/a-cou...to-a-light-and-efficient-family-home-93dd4258

Reactions: Hobo Mud and Minky

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I'm reposting this cause while it's a bit upscale for most people on StP I like this bus design because it shows you can have a really nice, upscale place like this made diy from a bus conversion if that's something you want; this isn't so much my style, but it's a good example of the possibilities, no matter what you're into.

bushhippie

Previously crisywantstorunaway
Reaction score
i want to build a cabin on family land, and use a bus that cant be repaired to run again, as a front porch/green house. take out all the seats, turn some to use as benches, and build shelves for plants. habe hanging plants and maby put a sprinkler system in to water everything. the back door would be the intrance to my hosue.

Hobo Mud

Reaction score
Way kewl!

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i want to build a cabin on family land, and use a bus that cant be repaired to run again, as a front porch/green house. take out all the seats, turn some to use as benches, and build shelves for plants. habe hanging plants and maby put a sprinkler system in to water everything. the back door would be the intrance to my hosue.

That's a sweet idea, I might steal that someday.

Reactions: bushhippie

bushhippie

Previously crisywantstorunaway
Reaction score
@Matt Derrick feel free to. i may never get to actually do it. i dont make much money, so i dont ever see myself actually getting to do it. Id totally love to see my dream a reality somewhere out in the world!

Shinobivillage

Reaction score
So I'm currently in the design/buy/build phase oh a schoolie. I've been on here year or so back as shinobiways. I've spent the time working and collecting the needed building materials for the project. Prepare to see a lot of post about it.

Sameer

Reaction score
This is the fanciest thing I have ever seen and it is totally remarkable. In my entire life I never lived this fancy.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
This is the fanciest thing I have ever seen and it is totally remarkable. In my entire life I never lived this fancy.

haha yeah it's pretty much a condo inside a school bus.

Reactions: Sameer

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads