2019 Bike tour ideas | Squat the Planet

2019 Bike tour ideas

D

Deleted member 22934

Does anyone have any big plans for 2019 bike touring? How hard is it to find a touring partner or small group to ride with?

Ill tell you what happenned last year.

First of all, I took off and decided to live off my motorcycle. I ended up in California and I had my old Honda Motorcycle, a small tent, a sleeping bag and misc gear. Well life was great, I was living off a motorcycle and doing my thing until one day I was riding down the freeway, and all of the sudden.... Bang! Back tire locks up, so I quickly pulled in the clutch and coasted to a stop on the side of the road. So I get to lookin around and sure as shit, theres a big hole in the front of the motor. I could see right inside of the cylinder head. So Im standing there observing the oil dripping onto the ground when a highway patrol shows up. A hefty fella jumps out and asked me whats going on. I explained the situation and he informed me that he was about to tag my bike and that means I have 4 or 6 hours to get it off the highway or they're going to tow it. I knew I didnt have the money to fix, store, or even tow this rolling chasis, which is all it was considering it would cost more to fix it than it would to track down a whole new bike.

I walked until I had blisters on both feet and finally decided Id better try my luck at hitching. Well I got a ride into Redding California and spent my last $30 on a mountain bike at goodwill. This thing had two flat tires, and was missing a pedal. It took me a week of walking around collecting cans to even make this thing rideable. The next few weeks were considerably the most enoyable of the whole summer. I put a rack on my bike and got some panniers. Collecting cans became easier and I was completely content just riding my loop everyday for food money and living under a bridge. Nobody was harrassing me or giving me a hard time. I was happy.

One day I was at Mcdonalds digging thru the trash for cans, and a fella in his early 40's offered to buy me a burger. So we struck up a conversation and he explained that he was headed for Seattle to meet his wife and wouldnt mind company if I was trying to get anywhere in that direction. He seemed, very friendly and non-threatening so I pondered on it a while. I had no reason to leave where I was and I was just exited to be in a spot where nobody was screwing with me. Although it was rather hot in Redding at the time and the thought of this guy dropping me and my bike off in Portland, and spending the summer bike touring right back to my curent location, was a very interesting thought. In fact, the more I dwelled on it, the more I was sure that this could be the first page of an incredible summer story.

As promised, he dropped my off in Portland, roughly four and a half hours later. First thing the next morning I started riding south. Over the next couple of weeks, I made my way to Albany. Im not sure how many miles it is exactly, but the biggest problem was the fact that I was flat broke! Every town I got to that had a Bottledrop, Id stay a few days or a week collecting cans and cashing in. I even bought a cheap cell phone, so I could use the wifi and send messges to family and friends.

To shorten up a really long story, I decided to stay at a homeless shelter and look for work. I must have gotten pretty lucky because I found work pretty fast with a guy who was even willing to pick me up and drop me off at the shelter everyday. Before you know it, I started thinking about how much safer it would be to live out of a van. I also considered the idea of just upgrading to a better bike, buying some new panniers and continueing my bike tour south with plenty of food money to not need to collect cans for a while.

I did buy a van and enjoyed the hell out of it... But work started to slow down toward the end of summer and I now had a cell phone bill and insurance to pay. Because it was getting to be wet and cold, I ended up going all the way down to arizona to stay with some relatives for the winter. Once I got the van, I basically stopped riding the bike. Ive since put on about 30 pounds and I dont feel nearly as healthy as I was when I rode the bike everywhere...

Ive wondered alot lately, if I made the right choice. I find that Im actually happier and more content when living out of a tent and "bike bumming" or "bike touring" or "living off a bike" or whatever you want to call it. After living that lifestyle on and off for a few years, Im never truelly content owning a vehicle and living in a house. The best word I can think to describe it is "unsatisfied". Theres something so satisfying about, exercising on a bike all day and going to bed each night knowing that youve spent all of your bodys energy doing something you enjoy, and your far more healthy for doing so. When working, and living in one place and driving a vehicle, I find that Im so much more likely to smoke ciggarretes, spend too much time on youtube, and feeling unsatisfied with my life and my daily activities.

Does anyone else share these feelings? What if you want to go back to living off a bike but are tired of riding alone? Has anybody ever had any success in finding a decent touring partner \ companion \ friend

The whole idea of a travelling partner, almost seems like an unrealistic fantacy. Has anyone ever had any luck with this? Dont get me wrong, Ive made alot of interesting friends on the road. Ive met lots of cool people in towns all over the place. In other words, my path has crossed with lots of other peoples paths. But never has my path lined up with someone else's. They either Have a girlfriend who doesnt travel, or court dates they cant miss, or a job they cant leave. Some are just too lazy to hit the road. Some have been on the way to montana at the beginning of winter.... LOL Have fun dealing with the snow buddy, Im going south. Ya know? And the few times I have met someone who I could totally see myself befriending and travelling with, I was working, or I had a vehicle and they had a bike. Sometimes they dont have a phone when I do, or vice versa. Finding a touring partner is like thats a chill, reliable person, is like mission impossible. Or so it seems.

Feel free to share some of your stories, Id love to hear em. Tell me what you think
DSCN0440.JPG
DSCN0440.JPG
DSCN0446.JPG
DSCN0444.JPG
DSCN0447.JPG
DSCN0443.JPG
DSCN0459.JPG
DSCN0460.JPG
DSCN0464.JPG
DSCN0461.JPG
DSCN0454.JPG
DSCN0450.JPG
DSCN0440.JPG
DSCN0446.JPG
DSCN0444.JPG
DSCN0447.JPG
DSCN0443.JPG
DSCN0459.JPG
DSCN0460.JPG
DSCN0464.JPG
DSCN0461.JPG
DSCN0454.JPG
DSCN0450.JPG

Last edited:

THE REAL SCAVENGER

Reaction score
I am going from ashville to ocola FL then for seeably to NOLA, Austin, going to ride east with kuba jennes, then to San Diego, then to Bellingham Wa, then will be living in Oregon. 2019 bike riding plans

Reactions: SaltyCrew
D

Deleted member 22934

How do you deal with the winters in Oregon? Do you stay at shelters? Sleep in the tent? Or have family there? I was in Portland a couple of years ago Jan-March and I was outside. I slept in a tent every night and I hated it so much that I told myself I would never spend another winter in Oregon. My bike was my transportation,,. I got so sick of being wet and cold, that I never wanted to do it again.

THE REAL SCAVENGER

Reaction score
How do you deal with the winters in Oregon? Do you stay at shelters? Sleep in the tent? Or have family there? I was in Portland a couple of years ago Jan-March and I was outside. I slept in a tent every night and I hated it so much that I told myself I would never spend another winter in Oregon. My bike was my transportation,,. I got so sick of being wet and cold, that I never wanted to do it again.
I dated a girl and lived at her house and squatted at a punk house, but I could live outside comfortably in Oregon in the winter. Gain more skills and you too can do it. I won't be living in the elements in the winter in Oregon. I plan on doing a lot of wilderness squatting and builodng stable shleters underground on the woods, or in trees, or colonizing islands. I also plan on working and paying for rent very short term. I never stay in shelters, fuck shelters. In Eugene I lived by the river when I was homeless

THE REAL SCAVENGER

Reaction score
Wool is your friend as are water proof clothing and layers. Once you get wet do not go to sleep, Yu might die.

THE REAL SCAVENGER

Reaction score
I also have family in Oregon but I do not rely on them nor do I talk to them much at this time. We are pretty off and on in each other's lives

D

Deleted member 22934

Ive always wanted to build some decent shelters, but never stayed somewhere long enough to do it. For one reason or another I would always move onto another area... Keep us updated on your projects. Id love to hear about them and see pictures. If I happen to be around, Ill help you build it. More squatters/travellers/ and homeless should spend their time working on projets like that. Think about if all the homeless in towns across the country spent their days out building small shelters in little hidden spots or in the woods. You could have shelters everywhere you go, and it wouldnt be hard to find a place to sleep just at the edge of any town you went to.

Dunedrifter

Reaction score
Does anyone have any big plans for 2019 bike touring? How hard is it to find a touring partner or small group to ride with?

First of all, I took off and decided to live off my motorcycle. I ended up in California and I had my old Honda Motorcycle, a small tent, a sleeping bag and misc gear. Well life was great, I was living off a motorcycle and doing my thing until one day I was riding down the freeway, and all of the sudden.... Bang! Back tire locks up, so I quickly pulled in the clutch and coasted to a stop on the side of the road. So I get to lookin around and sure as shit, theres a big hole in the front of the motor. I could see right inside of the cylinder head. So Im standing there observing the oil dripping onto the ground when a highway patrol shows up. A hefty fella jumps out and asked me whats going on. I explained the situation and he informed me that he was about to tag my bike and that means I have 4 or 6 hours to get it off the highway or they're going to tow it. I knew I didnt have the money to fix, store, or even tow this rolling chasis, which is all it was considering it would cost more to fix it than it would to track down a whole new bike.

I walked until I had blisters on both feet and finally decided Id better try my luck at hitching. Well I got a ride into Redding California and spent my last $30 on a mountain bike at goodwill. This thing had two flat tires, and was missing a pedal. It took me a week of walking around collecting cans to even make this thing rideable. The next few weeks were considerably the most enoyable of the whole summer. I put a rack on my bike and got some panniers. Collecting cans became easier and I was completely content just riding my loop everyday for food money and living under a bridge. Nobody was harrassing me or giving me a hard time. I was happy.

One day I was at Mcdonalds digging thru the trash for cans, and a fella in his early 40's offered to buy me a burger. So we struck up a conversation and he explained that he was headed for Seattle to meet his wife and wouldnt mind company if I was trying to get anywhere in that direction. He seemed, very friendly and non-threatening so I pondered on it a while. I had no reason to leave where I was and I was just exited to be in a spot where nobody was screwing with me. Although it was rather hot in Redding at the time and the thought of this guy dropping me and my bike off in Portland, and spending the summer bike touring right back to my curent location, was a very interesting thought. In fact, the more I dwelled on it, the more I was sure that this could be the first page of an incredible summer story.

As promised, he dropped my off in Portland, roughly four and a half hours later. First thing the next morning I started riding south. Over the next couple of weeks, I made my way to Albany. Im not sure how many miles it is exactly, but the biggest problem was the fact that I was flat broke! Every town I got to that had a Bottledrop, Id stay a few days or a week collecting cans and cashing in. I even bought a cheap cell phone, so I could use the wifi and send messges to family and friends.

To shorten up a really long story, I decided to stay at a homeless shelter and look for work. I must have gotten pretty lucky because I found work pretty fast with a guy who was even willing to pick me up and drop me off at the shelter everyday. Before you know it, I started thinking about how much safer it would be to live out of a van. I also considered the idea of just upgrading to a better bike, buying some new panniers and continueing my bike tour south with plenty of food money to not need to collect cans for a while.

I did buy a van and enjoyed the hell out of it... But work started to slow down toward the end of summer and I now had a cell phone bill and insurance to pay. Because it was getting to be wet and cold, I ended up going all the way down to arizona to stay with some relatives for the winter. Once I got the van, I basically stopped riding the bike. Ive since put on about 30 pounds and I dont feel nearly as healthy as I was when I rode the bike everywhere...

Ive wondered alot lately, if I made the right choice. I find that Im actually happier and more content when living out of a tent and "bike bumming" or "bike touring" or "living off a bike" or whatever you want to call it. After living that lifestyle on and off for a few years, Im never truelly content owning a vehicle and living in a house. The best word I can think to describe it is "unsatisfied". Theres something so satisfying about, exercising on a bike all day and going to bed each night knowing that youve spent all of your bodys energy doing something you enjoy, and your far more healthy for doing so. When working, and living in one place and driving a vehicle, I find that Im so much more likely to smoke ciggarretes, spend too much time on youtube, and feeling unsatisfied with my life and my daily activities.

Does anyone else share these feelings? What if you want to go back to living off a bike but are tired of riding alone? Has anybody ever had any success in finding a decent touring partner \ companion \ friend

The whole idea of a travelling partner, almost seems like an unrealistic fantacy. Has anyone ever had any luck with this? Dont get me wrong, Ive made alot of interesting friends on the road. Ive met lots of cool people in towns all over the place. In other words, my path has crossed with lots of other peoples paths. But never has my path lined up with someone else's. They either Have a girlfriend who doesnt travel, or court dates they cant miss, or a job they cant leave. Some are just too lazy to hit the road. Some have been on the way to montana at the beginning of winter.... LOL Have fun dealing with the snow buddy, Im going south. Ya know? And the few times I have met someone who I could totally see myself befriending and travelling with, I was working, or I had a vehicle and they had a bike. Sometimes they dont have a phone when I do, or vice versa. Finding a touring partner is like thats a chill, reliable person, is like mission impossible. Or so it seems.

Feel free to share some of your stories, Id love to hear em. Tell me what you think View attachment 48449 View attachment 48449 View attachment 48451 View attachment 48452 View attachment 48453 View attachment 48454 View attachment 48455 View attachment 48456 View attachment 48457 View attachment 48458 View attachment 48459 View attachment 48460 View attachment 48449 View attachment 48451 View attachment 48452 View attachment 48453 View attachment 48454 View attachment 48455 View attachment 48456 View attachment 48457 View attachment 48458 View attachment 48459 View attachment 48460
F

Feel free to share some of your stories, Id love to hear em. Tell me what you think View attachment 48449 View attachment 48449 View attachment 48451 View attachment 48452 View attachment 48453 View attachment 48454 View attachment 48455 View attachment 48456 View attachment 48457 View attachment 48458 View attachment 48459 View attachment 48460 View attachment 48449 View attachment 48451 View attachment 48452 View attachment 48453 View attachment 48454 View attachment 48455 View attachment 48456 View attachment 48457 View attachment 48458 View attachment 48459 View attachment 48460
I think there are so many of us out there that are just one (or two) steps away from jumping on our bikes and leaving (most of) our worries behind. My delima is a boyfriend who isn’t into riding bikes at all, but he knows I’m gonna hop on and go eventually.

As for motorized vehicles, they pollute the Earth, mow down wildlife (and bicyclists), make you unhealthy and out of shape, and cause endless financial misery.

I think it would be awesome to travel with a group (4-6). I wish there was a website or app for connecting bike travelers with other like minds. Maybe there is, but I haven’t found it.

Peace and safe travels

D

Deleted member 22934

Depending on where you live, it can be difficult if not impossible to hold down a job without a vehicle. Which makes it one hell of a commitment, to live without a car.

Im currently trying to make up my mind whether I want to sell the van and go back to living off a bike... Or to keep chasing work, keep the van and continue living here.

Ive gained like 30 lbs since I got the van and stopped riding the bike. Im so out of shape now, its going to be hard to get back into it.

Should I do it?

Gabriel Pullman

Reaction score
I honestly think it's hard to find a traveling partner of anykind.
People to bike with or hop trains with.
Planning for some doesn't really work. Most people I team up with is temporary in common direction and only meet them when I'm on the way in the direction . People seem to just pop up. Then disappear. I'm trying more and more lately so plan and meet with people previously known but timing , itchy feet. Short term jobs for money . Some of my friends and me are working when others are bumcation

But I'm going to be biking around Cali in late Feb and March and into April and hopping freight with said bike back up to Bend in April or May for more work and possibly biking across the country later in the summer to rainbow in Wisconsin, but who knows too far away

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 22934

That sounds about right. I know people in towns all over the place. We'll get together and do stuff, but eventually they gotta go, or ill have to go. See ya next time Im in town. Might be 3 months, might be 3 years till you see them again.

Its also cool if your on the same migrational paterns as people. I used to see this one dude in Flagstaff all the time in the summer and I talked to him and sort of became friends with him. Just the other day I seen him in Phoenix, and stopped and talked to him. He said hes been going back and forth for like 5 years now, and we both do about the same thing each year, so its cool to see him every now and then and chat.

With all of the hot cities, and all of the cold cities, I bet theres a zillion different combonations across the country of places to go back and forth to for winter or summer.. And theres obviously tons of people who snowbird back and forth. I think its really cool when you can find people who share similar paterns and converse.

Jackthereaper

Reaction score
I dont do much bicycle touring though your post may change that. I have ridden from maine to tiajuana in the past on a yamaha tTr 250 i bought off a neighbor for $600. It needed a new clutch, piston, a hone, and every oil seal in the motor(another $600 total with aftermarket clutch w. New basket and wiseco piston, stock yammie oil seals were $150 of that) but once i fixed that bike it has ran like a dream ever since.

I see you chose an air cooled bike as well, did she die on the highway on a hot day? Ive found air cooled bikes dont like desert or high heat + long freeway cruises. If you are ever in trouble like that again, look for a motorcycle junk yard and i bet that could have been fixed for under $300 with used parts and beer case gaskets. I have had luck bartering at junk yards as well, its usually all dudes who work there and never clean anything so a bathroom cleaning can go a long way in trade.

Either way, if bicycle bumming makes you feel whole then go for it. You only live life once and being overweight and miserable is certainly not necessary. I hope you find happiness soon and lose those 30 lbs you seem to not enjoy.

D

Deleted member 22934

Yea it was a pretty hot day. That bike had a lot of miles on it, and had recently started leaking oil. And I was adding oil periodically and the day before it blew I had let it get dangerously low on oil. It didnt run right after that. I mean it just felt different after I had exhausted it thru the desert the day before. That night, I checked the oil and was suprised at how low it had gotten. The next morning I took off, and didnt even ride for 20 minutes. BOOM. It was fairly expected at that point.

Ive lived out of a backpack hitch hiking, bicycle and tent, in the extended cab of a 2003 Chevy S10, Off of 86 Honda rebel, And a few Chevy vans. So Ive done it every which different way except a motorhome. And I really dont know which way I like best.

-The backpack is awesome because you can hop freight, ride greyhound, or hitch easily. The downside is getting stranded places and feeling dependant on rides or public transit.
-The bicycle is awesome because you dont need money, but you can still cover ground. And you stay really healthy.
-The motorcycle is awesome because you can sriously go anywhere and even without a job you can have gas and insurance.
-The van is awesome because your out of the rain and you can carry all your shit. The downside is you have to work and have money to keep legal. The other downside for me anyways, is that I become much less active. I stop riding he bike, I put on weight, and I watch way too many movies.

To be honest, After living roughly a year in each of the 4 lifestyles (backpack, bicycle, motorcycle, van), now considering all factors like health, finances, fun, ability to cover ground... I Prefer the Motorcycle or the bicycle probably the best.... For me anyways.

D

Deleted member 22934

Actually from most prefered to least prefered, I would rather... In this order

Live off a motorcycle
Live off a bike
Live in a house
Live in a van
Live out of a backpack...

The motorcycle is the best by far because you can travel and stay insured cheap. They get such good gas mileage, so its easy go hiking, walk around parks, or whatever for exercise. You can basically be a bum, stay at shelters, go camp outside of town, or sleep wherever. And you can fly a sign and easily make enough to cover your gas and insurance... Or with a motorcycle, you could easily camp in the woods and still hold down a job in town. Your not limited to distances like you are on a bicycle or on foot.

The bicyce is second best because your never stranded, and you hardly need any money at all. But its hard and your pretty limited on how far you can go ech day and what you can carry with you.

The house and vehicle just cost alot. So you really have to have a job. Comfort level 100% but you gotta pay for it... And its easy to get lazy and put on weight

Hitch hiking and being on foot with only a backpack basically sucks. Most people living out of backpacks fly signs for their ONLY income. The worst part is being completely dependent on other people. You depend on rides, depend on buses, depend on flying a sign... Walking takes forever and its exhausting. So everything you do, you have to ask, beg, or pay someone else to do for you.

Freedom is on two wheels, with or without a motor.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads