17 and homeless for about 2 months now... any tips?

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
get as far south as possible as quickly as possible. austin, new orleans, but slab city, and maybe florida would be better.

barefootinbabylon

Reaction score
what part of MI you in...Im in MI i could help ya out PM me....

Me toooo!! Herbalfelonist, I'd be totally down to hang out witchoo, as well... if the f*%&$in' MI po-lice hadn't taken my license... Ballzz to dat.

Either way, Senor Reyna... this winter isn't NEARLY as bad as last one - that shit SUCKED!!! I'm still quite amazed we haven't gotten any snow as of yet, but then again, I sincerely and utterly despise snow, so it's allll gooooddd with me. Anywayz, hope you're doing all right, man!

~ melissA

Reactions: herbalfelonist

Blackout Beetle

Reaction score
I've been on the road since 17... 20 now. You'll figure out what's up it just takes a minute. Advice? I dunno, I just fly signs, travel around and get drunk with other kids, lol. Go to Oregon in the summer its sick. Yeah I kinda got the same problem... I'm in Colorado right now, me and my old man are going down to AZ to wait out the winter. Probably the best idea is to get somewhere where the weathers not all fucked off cause its cold as shit I just went down to New Mexico for a couple days sleeping out it sucked ass.

Ocotillo

Reaction score
Remember, dogs cost money and can be a liabiliity-I'd say travel without one. Read the gear sections certainly.

A note about Austin since people are mentioning it...this place has good and bad. We have a great music scene, people are friendly, and some restaurants will give kickdowns if you're nice to them (was nearly homeless in 2005-basically couchsurfing, and Veggie Heaven would give us free food-don't know if they still do but always worth a try-the lady there is nice). If you know how to play an instrument busking is common and nobody will bother you about generally. Avoid the shelters here they have some scary fucked up methheads and otherwise violent people who can/will jack your shit or try to fight you. Dumpstering is hit or miss but if you are around when schools let out it's a free shit yardsale prettymuch-college kids can be wastefull as hell. Might be some coffeeshop and restaurant jobs but you may need to go get a food handler's certificate from the city. Right now there's a lot of people here and not a lot of jobs, but if yr not so worried about that you can easily find other people to network with here. The weather is good now so there's a ton of travelling kids down here. You can also hop out on a train at Manchaca and Slaughter from what I've heard if you need to.

brking

Reaction score
the best piece of gear i would advise for winter is a good sleeping bag. i spent a winter in the mountains in Washington squatting in a bus to work at a ski area. my bag was a 12 degree bag and i burried myself under some wool blankets. it wasn't warm but i survived. if your not looking to snowboard or ski go south good thermals and a squat out of the weather can save your life. and NEVER go to sleep in wet cloths that will KILL you

Keyser Soze

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
me and my dog stick together all i got

^^this is good. because, shit man, i honestly wish you didn't have to have the responsibility of your pup on top of everything else, but as we/you know, fucking shit just fucking happens...iI started that same age too. and at 25 now, i just recently got Marley in my life 4 years ago, the universe didn't bring him to me till I was ready...either you were selfish, or you now realize that it's your task to not only figure a way to keep yourself alive, but make sure that pup has the life he deserves happy as fuck plenty of meat on his bones even if it means you go a lil hungry sometimes...may sound fucked up but his needs come first you should know and you can deal with that and live free and happy as fuck if you want to. I think you'll do the right thing, and dude, get the fuck out of michigan, go to florida, please. that's what i did. stay warm, gulf coast brotha, you guys will be just fine. find some nice beach peoples and a basement/pool house if your lucky! to squat in, or maybe exhange a lil work for a stay- least till you figure out where you want to go/what you want to do from there. honestly like i said i headed down there, bounced around a few colleges, New College http://ncf.edu/Welcome check it out- is where i spent a lot of time- i wasn't even a student, i just made friends and ate awesome veggies and learned for free (so what if i don't have a piece of paper to prove it) and if you want work just go to marinas learn boats you can clean them or fix them and they're everywhere if you need any help ask me man i worked out of a marine repair shop in st. petersburg. good luck

shitbagdanny

Reaction score
go to NYC, free dog everything through heidi at 33 essex, ave A turns into essex about 12 blocks up from tompkins.
squats galore in brooklyn, not to mention the lake, thirteen thames, 210 cook, park slope, the queens wharehouse and anything else you can find.

SF has the coldest summers, but NYC has the warmest winters.

Nurdbrowski

Reaction score
Been homeless to for about 2 months..I'm 26..I just want to pack some good gear and head out..advise..don't talk to home bums and stay away from urban areas unless u know what ur doing..the dog..I think ull be fine..just stay smart and prioritize..

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads