0 degree sleeping beg question ?

zephyr23

Reaction score
Hi all

What is a good compact lightweight 0 degree sleeping bag you recomend? fairly cheep one would be nice to. it needs to fit into my osprey 38l pack. .if you have one that would be cool to that you would want to trade or i could buy or maybe even have. smile face

Thank you

CXR1037

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Cheap and 0 degree really don't seem to go together. Off-hand, you should check out craigslist/eBay/etc, but I don't know how efficient a used 0 degree would be, especially if it wasn't taken care of properly. Alternatively, find someone with a/get your own REI membership and go to one of their used gear sales. I still haven't been, but I've heard of people getting insane deals like mostly new packs for $10.

cxR - good luck; i want a new sleeping bag too

zephyr23

Reaction score
i have a 20 degrea and it just not cutting it it cold out here in the pdx. after sleeping in the desert of NM i have so many holes in because of all the cactus now i know a sleep met is a good idea sometimes.

DoctorApocalypse

Your friendly neighborhood supervillain
Reaction score
I know it's not necessarily the most space efficient method but you can combine multiple lighter weight bags and a bivy to make a DIY modular style sleeping bag that will perform as well as a single heavy weight bag.

Reactions: railroadron

TBone

Reaction score
Yeah just slipping another light weight bag into whatever you have makes a world of difference. Silk liners are the business I've heard, no first hand knowledge. I just dropped almost two bills on a Wiggys superlight. You get what you pay for when it comes to gear though. Look into the military ECWS sleep system. I had that before this but after the years it has lost it's loft and just isn't worth packing around. I'll be keeping the bivy. You can pick those systems up used at surplus stores for around a hundred now I think. Bivy, compression sack, intermediate and summer bag and adjust it to what suits you. One reason I went for the wiggy in lue of a Northface etc. is I could get it in black as opposed to whatever shit colors the backpacker brands have. I'll take a couple extra pounds and lose a little room in my pack to keep that shit ninja mang. Lifetime guarantee too.

railroadron

Reaction score
I ll agree with all the above mentioned. Good lightweight 0 degree bags cost big bucks which i ve used from time to time but they dont last out there on the rails. They re made for the occasional trek (r) and not the flat wheel riding shake your guts up rail king. I ve found that 2 lightweight bags inside of one another do great as long as you break that wind with a Bivy or something. For years I used to use the bisquene air bags you d sometimes see in a empty boxcar..peel the paper of and cut to fit the circumference of the bag..then I d rubber cement the seams and it d become a see through Bivy and worked great. I ve recently used my two lightweight bags together on Bird Creek Alaska..minus the Bivy and it worked great in 8 degree temps..no wind though

Reactions: DoctorApocalypse

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads