zipping two sleeping bags together | Squat the Planet

zipping two sleeping bags together

D

Deleted member 9714

Could you zip two sleeping bags together? I've heard of it being done before, but im not sure if it has to be specifically made like that or if you can put together any sleeping bag... This might be a stupid question, but I'm just kinda planning ahead, I'm about to travel with this girl I met in a few months and we're trying to figure shit out to make shit lighter. We were thinking either doing the sleeping bag thing or just bringing wool and fleece blankets. I like blankets and all, but sleeping bags are just so much more cozy and warm...

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
are you rubbertramping, trekking or leathertramping?
size & weight are a definite issue, as well as when & where you will be..
any bag you take for leathertramping should be geared specifically to *your* personal use.
that is safest & healthiest for both of you.. don't get two 40 degree bags, as warm as 2 bodies are, just because they zip well & are thick & comfy.

if a vehicle is involved, & you want humongo comfort, see if you can find 2 twin size sleeping bags & zip *those* fuckers together...

blankets for 2 are like blankets anywhere.. give & take. & take... &... ; )

so yeah.. the zip-together idea will prolly be sweet..
i tried to double zip, some time ago, but it turned out, with *those* bags, that one of them had to face inside out for the insertion pin to mate with the others retainer box.. -- already sounds fun! : )

there's a lot of good material on StP about equipment.. dunno if your question has ever come up, but maybe..
here's a link to a coleman how-to video:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz7nkighauM

size is a major issue, too.. i mean, foot travel requires small, where possible, so there won't be a lot of coziness..
but if yer banging around in a little wagon, with a cargo carrier & your main sleep will be there, then a couple of quilts will do.
if you're going to park & hoof for not more than 3 nights, or not more than a few miles from your base, take the comfy stuff & see how you feel after the first excursion.. you can come close to what you want, first out, with thought, but experience will teach you fast.

good luck & feed people, when you can!!

: )

Last edited:
Reactions: Kal
K

Kim Chee

Could you zip two sleeping bags together?

Yes!

They are not universal though. Some won't zip together and some will only zip to another of the same kind (they need to be the same dimensions). Head down to your nearest fartsack retailer and look at the label, if is says it can be zipped to another, get the bag it says it will zip to (usually the same kind, but there may be more options now).

Dmac

Reaction score
it really has to do with the type of zipper the bags have. any rectangular bags can zip together if they have zippers with the same size teeth and are made of the same material. metal zippers will not work with nylon, even if the teeth are of similar size, the tooth shape is different. zip two rectangular bags together ten stick 2 mummy bags inside and you are ready for some cold weather.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i used to do it all the time when i was traveling with my then-girlfriend. it was pretty awesome. i don't think we had the same brand, but the zippers were similar enough that it worked fine. it was awesome since we could share body heat and all the fun cuddling stuff.

the really important part to remember is that one of you needs to get a sleeping bag with the zipper on the OPPOSITE side of the other. why? because, if you have two mummy bags that both have right hand zippers, one of you has to flip their sleeping bag over to match the other one, and you end up with your mummy bag's head cover laying over your face.

Skitzo

Reaction score
i used to do it all the time when i was traveling with my then-girlfriend. it was pretty awesome. i don't think we had the same brand, but the zippers were similar enough that it worked fine. it was awesome since we could share body heat and all the fun cuddling stuff.

the really important part to remember is that one of you needs to get a sleeping bag with the zipper on the OPPOSITE side of the other. why? because, if you have two mummy bags that both have right hand zippers, one of you has to flip their sleeping bag over to match the other one, and you end up with your mummy bag's head cover laying over your face.
Me and my ex would call it making the "super burrito" were fucking stupid though:)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads