Your First Time On The Road? | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Your First Time On The Road?

S

spectacular

My first time.on the road was back in ye olde 2012 when I ventured from Albuquerque to San Fran to save money whilst living on the streets in order to have enough for an upcoming flight to London from where I planned to bike across Europe. But I ended up biking halfway thru France from London then ditching my bike and hitching to Spain where I hitched a ferry ride to Morocco.

Phoenixx

Reaction score
I was homeless since 13 always setting up camps in the woods never stayed with groups long usually me and a bf or couchsurfing. After I turned 18 I met a guy at zilker park he was smoking hot like a dirty kid shampoo commercial haha. I whooped him he asked me if I wanted to go listen to music in the car we spent like an hour talkin he told me he and his friends were traveling and they were gonna trim in cali. He asked if I was with anyone I said no he told me I was his girl I said ok. We traveled 8 deep along the coast hitting some wicked spots the older guys in our group know about. Me and him broke off from the group in mendo. Still hoping I run into them again someday :)

• Sad
Reactions: Nomadic Wolf

lyzinga

Reaction score
Website
bloodsweatandpaint.com
My 1st time I was alone, 18 and had 50 lbs worth of crap, hitchin UT-AZ-CO-NM. It was awesome, however the addiction kept growing and growing...since then I've hitched over 23k miles solo, and I'm a chick.
The gist? It's not all that bad/dangerous. Just have a good head, remain vigilant, and your mind is your worst/best enemy.
I got some travel advice / inspirational HH vids on my YouTube if u need some encouragement.

Oh and, Hey if you make it to Utah around the 19th lll be there, I can show you some really awesome spots.
(Goes for others as well)
I'd like to know of good Utah spots but I know of a couple I like in Uintah County :D Red Fleet Reservoir, the back entry, dinosaur tracks and cliffdiving. Awesome.

pcflvly

Reaction score
Website
ello.co
My first trip was from Sioux City to Ft. Lauderdale. I was only sixteen but I'd met a couple girls from there (long story) and I was going to see them. That was 1981... Eventually I hitched to 48 states and nine provinces. The road will teach you. Five years of that.

Thirty-five years later I hitched again and I got to a spot where I started to think that I wouldn't get a ride but I caught myself thinking that so I said to myself, "I'm not in the right mind here." and looked at the clouds and breathed. I of course got a ride right away after that. Anyway, notice the magic and be grateful that the people you don't want to ride with don't stop.

Reactions: Matt Derrick

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Man. Talk about memories.

My road virginity was reluctantly taken on an impromptu hitching trip from Portland to San Francisco with some random Punk chick from the Yamhill Pub in Portland. With lots and lots of help from Digihitch.com.

I was 22, just got out of a really long and really bad relationship. Couldn't find work in Portland after travelling up there with some good friends from Arizona.

Spent the next few weeks having the absolute time if my life. Jesus, travelling was the best thing that happened to me.

I got addicted (which was a fear of mine) but it turned out to solidify the "real me" and I've been on the road ever since, jobs in between, but always traveling.

Just started the switch from roads to rails (with lots and LOTS of help from StP), and I'm not sure I can go back. Hitchhiking sucks compared to riding, lol. But hitching is always necessary to get to those hard-to-reach places.

roughdraft

Reaction score
not gonna go into too much detail here

i strongly recommend volunteering at a few music festivals to get the ball rolling

good way to network, gather good vibes through hard work, and maybe even some free food/etc.

CelticWanderer

Reaction score
-EDIT, oops, a wee bit drunk, didn't realize this post was a year old. Hope you've had a grand time!-

Things I learned on my first time was patience really is a virtue, always trust my gut, never plan more than a few steps ahead on getting to my next destination and smiles go for miles. My first stop on my journey was the rainbow gathering in Ocala FL. I had fun and it was neat but it scared the wits out of me. Saw some really fucky stuff. But once I left and was on my own and moving I was totally hooked.
I think though, learning how to suffer with grace was the greatest thing I learned on that adventure. I had some seriously shit times but being able to laugh at it in the moment, and remaining approachable while i was cursing the world saved me alot of greif though it took a while to get there.

One of my C1s on a trail crew I was working for recently said "it's who we are when we are suffering that is most important." It was a good reminder and stuck with me.

Humans are clever and adaptable, keep your wits about you and a level head and you'll be just fine.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads