Your favorite non-essential/luxury piece of gear? | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Your favorite non-essential/luxury piece of gear?

Dmac

Reaction score
My tiny RCA battery powered tv. Yeah I know but I love some tv at night. The speaker sucks buts it’s good with an ear bud. Uses 4 AA or power cable.

Loudlocusts

Reaction score
I'm my teen's and early 20's I could sleep well anywhere. Head on a dirty t-shirt? Laying on a thin piece of cardboard? Army poncho liner for a blanket? Slept like a baby. I"m turning into more of a princess as I get older. A proper inflatable pillow and sleeping pad is the norm now.

To be honest, that's probably why I need a pillow. I used to have some awful sleep patterns, and now I'm paying for it. I feel awful whenever my sleep is with a shirt or things like that, because I never really slept well as a teen.

Reactions: MatatuPuncher

watson

Reaction score
TONELIFE Portable Bidet for Toilet - Handheld Bidet Sprayer -450ml 15oz Travel Bidet - Childbirth Postpartum Bottle - with Storage Bag, Soft Material TONELIFE Portable Bidet for Toilet - Handheld Bidet Sprayer -450ml 15oz Travel Bidet - Childbirth Postpartum Bottle - with Storage Bag, Soft Material - - Amazon.com - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078TXWMFT/

you can also get ones that are little nozzles you put in a water bottle, which would probably be better for travel without a vehicle.

this seems awesome but where would you be getting that much water to waste on not drinking from? looks cool though if your homebummin in a town for awhile.

Lotus Shaped Potato

Reaction score
Website
www.dhammaflow.org
this seems awesome but where would you be getting that much water to waste on not drinking from? looks cool though if your homebummin in a town for awhile.
I live in a van so it’s not a big deal for me to pick up several gallons and hold onto them.

Hobo richard

Reaction score
Me who is such a tyrant about the weight of my ruck, yet i carry a small (50mm) crystal ball. Not sure why... weighs about half a pound.

Tony G

Reaction score
Good coffee.

Volunteering with Food Not Bombs I always tried to get us donations from local roasters. It gave me a lot of satisfaction making sure folks down on their luck we're getting fresh roasted $15/lb in the winter, and I ground the beans myself every morning just to make sure the free anarchist coffee was the best pour in the city on Saturday.

I'll drink the cheap shit if I'm offered a cup because I'm polite and appreciate when people offer me their hospitality. When times are tough a good cup of coffee seems like the most endorphins for the dollar. A small pour over style stainless steel mesh, a cup and an alcohol stove is a lot of space in the bag not to mention the pound of grounds.

If I'm off the caffeine, a real nice herbal tea brewed at double strength is a good substitute.
Coffee is good I always go for death wish coffee it's so strong it would put hair on a 6 year olds cheast

Maliceofcats

Reaction score
Wow

I think I’m in love.

It’s so important to keep your bum clean.

I always like to carry comfy clothes for bed time.

Sweat pants, socks, and an oversized sweater.

Been thinking about getting one of those sweet self inflating sleeping pads too.
I don’t go out into the wilderness much anymore, but it’s always on the back of my mind.
Damn, I'm reminded of when I was going around with sweatpants for bedtime. I was having pretty good sleep every night that way.

Reactions: Ed Meyer

Maliceofcats

Reaction score
Damn, I'm reminded of when I was going around with sweatpants for bedtime. I was having pretty good sleep every night that way.
Was so caught up in responding to the thread I forgot to include my response to the title. I have some tea and powder drink mix singles I keep together in a little baggy, feels nice when camping out to have hot Tea or some lemonade.

Reactions: Trudvar

castler

Reaction score
I just got a 5c coffee maker that is electrical based. But I tried the 'camping percolator that u use over fire' and the H2o wasn't shooting up to the top like it was supposed to, I maybe had a defective product. So I got the actual coffee maker - it's less to deal with. It's small but I just stash my stuff so i'm not hauling it all around with me.

Gin

Reaction score

Attachments

• CuloClean_Lightweight_Backpacking_Bidet_LNT_7_Bottles.jpg
    CuloClean_Lightweight_Backpacking_Bidet_LNT_7_Bottles.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 128
  • CuloClean_Lightweight_Backpacking_Bidet_LNT_1.jpg
    CuloClean_Lightweight_Backpacking_Bidet_LNT_1.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 120
  • Wow
Reactions: 00kissmarrykick00

Gin

Reaction score
So I think we have a lot of talk about essentials

what’s your favorite thing that’s not essential, a quality of life or luxury thing?

I really like the squeeze bottle portable bidet I got for like $10. Keeps me feeling clean and keeps my toilet paper use low.

Culo Clean fits most water bottles

Attachments

• CuloClean_Lightweight_Backpacking_Bidet_LNT_7_Bottles.jpg
    CuloClean_Lightweight_Backpacking_Bidet_LNT_7_Bottles.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 109
  • CuloClean_Lightweight_Backpacking_Bidet_LNT_1.jpg
    CuloClean_Lightweight_Backpacking_Bidet_LNT_1.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 102
  • CuloClean_Lightweight_Backpacking_Bidet_LNT_6.jpg
    CuloClean_Lightweight_Backpacking_Bidet_LNT_6.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 114

Gin

Reaction score
My favorite piece of gear is a sheet of Tyvek. Folds to nothing. Weighs almost nothing. You can lay it anywhere. Wrap up in it. Put it over you like a tent. Keeps me dry, windfree, & is warmer than you'd think. If you send it thru a clothes washer a few times (no soap no dryer) it gets softer & pliable.
Laying on wet grass I can't feel cold or wet, so I'm thinking for you Train Tramps, a sheet to lay on could help with that cold steel?

Reactions: laughingman

laughingman

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I'm here for that little bidet. I carried something like it on the PCT that screwed onto a water bottle for about 400 miles but never actually used it. Now its shoved in a bag someplace thank you for reminding me about it ill have to dig it out for my next trip.

On that same note my piece of kit that is just silly for me to carry around is the simple shower.

Its a shower head that screws onto a water bottle. Yah... I know...but here me out. That little sucker will drain a 2L water bottle in about 25 seconds. It works shockingly well. That a bar of soap and a little microfiber towel I found on the side of the road I can literally have a shower anyplace for free. So long as I can get water... and be naked for a minute. Just DONT let if freeze with water inside. Ask me how I know.

Reactions: Gin

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads