Young and completely new to life on the road

Dameon

Reaction score
Go with a female partner, watch out for creepsters, and keep in mind that dudes on the road are going to try to use the shit out of a pretty young girl.

You don't need money, you don't need fancy gear. Just need a few bucks in your pocket, a backpack, a sleeping bag, and a tarp. Don't listen to the guy saying to bring a tent. A tarp is a tent.

Art101

Reaction score
Lots of great advice here. We are all cut from diff. cloth, my friends don't get my lifestyle at all. I need freedom and the hum of the wheels on the rail and dodging the bull. I bailed school. Nothing in common with the drones drinking the nectar of "education". Go out and live love and thrive. Make it count. There is a ton of epic info on here read learn and ask...

Cirno9

Reaction score
You don't need money, you don't need fancy gear. Just need a few bucks in your pocket, a backpack, a sleeping bag, and a tarp. Don't listen to the guy saying to bring a tent. A tarp is a tent.

A tarp and a tent can both keep the rain away and give shade, its really either or but a tent can bring more privacy unless u rig the tarp up in such a way it gives u 4 "walls" ? (I usually just have it hanging over head) and a tents only what like 20 bucks on ebay and small when its put away. Either way, the list was just my version of what would be most comfortable to me and id prefer to have it all. :) wants vs needs, and technically you dont need anything except water if you stay in warm places.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sierra

sucuri

Reaction score
Website
www.HitchTheWorld.com
A tarp and a tent can both keep the rain away and give shade, its really either or but a tent can bring more privacy unless u rig the tarp up in such a way it gives u 4 "walls" ? (I usually just have it hanging over head) and a tents only what like 20 bucks on ebay and small when its put away. Either way, the list was just my version of what would be most comfortable to me and id prefer to have it all. :) wants vs needs, and technically you dont need anything except water if you stay in warm places.

Ah, to tent or not to tent. That is the question. Really it dosen't matter. You can get by either way. I myself prefer a hammock and a tarp.

Sierra

Reaction score
Hey Sierra, I'm in the same boat as you and Kaichulita (she actually directed me to this forum) I'm setting off in January though, and from Cali. Might be passing through on the way to Florida, see you on the rails maybe.
Yeah? I have a friend in Cali I'm visiting sometime this year. whereabouts if you don't mind me asking?

Reaction score
If I was in your shoes.... I would forget the idea of learning how to ride trains in "the states" and instead I would come to Alaska. This is where I learned to ride trains and it is my home now. I believe that the way the railroad system is setup in AK makes it conducive to learning. I can go into more detail on this subject if you like. (keep in mind that I am a novice and some veterans might disagree with my assessment)

and some general words of wisdom (that I wish I would have been able to grasp a very long LONG time ago)..... Remember that many people who travel as a lifestyle are only doing so in an attempt to escape from themselves. Avoid people who do not seem to understand that "no matter where you go, there you are."
No offense at all meant by this and i laughed as i thought it, but everytime someone told me to go to alaska and live there, i thought it was a setup for failure and death....

J

Johnny P

Riding trains in Alaska is way different than in the states...first off there is only one line North to SOuth...way easier...higher security but easier

sucuri

Reaction score
Website
www.HitchTheWorld.com
No offense at all meant by this and i laughed as i thought it, but everytime someone told me to go to alaska and live there, i thought it was a setup for failure and death....

Not everybody goes the way of Supertramp...hahaha. Never been to Alaska but I reckon it's like every other place: go into it knowing what you're getting into and, most importantly, listening to locals, and you'll probably be fine.

Reactions: WanderLost Radical

Siphran

Reaction score
Yeah? I have a friend in Cali I'm visiting sometime this year. whereabouts if you don't mind me asking?
Neat, I'm in Cencal, Fresno area at the moment. I'll be bouncing around on my free time to get a feel for hopping, probably down to Colton, LA, up to Sac at some point.

J

Jinxx

Good luck! My situation is nearly identical to yours; I'm new to life on the road, female, have intense wanderlust etc. I hope we both find the freedom we wish for!!
Wish I could give you more advice, but anyway. Have an adventure! Be careful! And best wishes.

sucuri

Reaction score
Website
www.HitchTheWorld.com
well..... maybe it is not the best idea to advise travelers to come up here.... but it is not as treacherous as portrayed in the media

Fuck the media. If I've learned anything, it's that the best places are the ones people spit the name out like it's a substantial loogie. For example, most people are terrified of the Amazon (re: fish that swim up your urethra, flesh-eating piranhas, bot flies, etc) but it's actually a pretty chill place. The candirú exists but its dick-clogging habits are a bullshit quasi-myth, the piranhas are mostly harmless, and the bot fly is easily removed. The bigger cities in South America where ALL the tourists go are waay more dangerous than a peaceful riverside. Mexico is indeed full of cartel violence but so is West Texas. Mexico also has great parties, cheap tequila, easily-made friends, and tacos a pastor. West Texas has some of those things but not all four! Colombia is home to the FARC and also stunning mountian ranges, Carribean beaches, mouth-watering weed strains, and some of the nicest people in South America.

Alaska is probably similar. I wouldn't write it off by any means :)

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
I dont train hop cept for a few times and I just suggest you dont until someone shows you how in person or you a lot through the section in the forum, its a good way to get hurt if you dont know what you are doing. (dont mean to sound like an after school special but...)
I second that. I don't have experience when it comes to that. I'm a noob anyway. ;) But ... I read a lot about train hopping, watched videos on youtube, And I really want to do it some day. But while I'm a guy much older than you (the original poster) and normally in the mood "let me try that out by myself" I would do it only with help of an experienced companion. Theory is one thing, practicing another. Hitchhiking ... yes. I can do that on my own. Sleeping rough in public ... never did it yet but I think I can handle it. But riding trains? Not alone the first times.
Just my 2 cents this evening ... :)

mycophage

Reaction score
Train hopping is a lot of fun. Just read the safety tips like don't step on the knuckle and follow them and stay soberish when you are hopping.
On the tent vs no tent. It really depends on where/when you are traveling around and your travling style. Tents are great for wilderness, but often in a city you can find better shelter by just looking around. Also in warmer months a tarp usually does fine by itself. Also tents/ Hammocks are cool, but can be hard to pack up real fast if you are trying to catch a train. You often don't know if the train is going to be there for 10 minutes or 4 hours, 10 or 15 minutes is just enough time to get your sleeping bag/tarp into your loaded backpack and run to find a rideable train. Even less if you have to climb over, other trains in the yard (you don't want to step on the knuckle)

My biggest advice is watch out for people, traveling companions can make or break your travels. IME lots of people that travel drink really heavily or do hard drugs. People who seemed really cool can get violent when they are drunk, which can be a big problem if you are alone with them. Even sober people can be downright predatory. As other people have said, use your intuition. You can sometimes tell by peoples patches and stuff what they are all about. People will try and use you. Sometimes police will hassle you and try and take your knife and stuff which can leave you in a pinch. Try to find people's whose values match yours it makes things a lot easier. Find a good roaddog and stick with them, but don't become overly reliant in case you get split up or they get locked up.

Its Me Ryan

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Sierra,

If for some reason you happen to live in Memphis, get in touch with me as I am always looking to drop some knowledge on people who are thirsty for it.

Thanks.

Last edited:
W

wolf angel

really? I wanted to go to that but ahh money =/ I'm trying to find a travel buddy as well because I'm so new to this. I'm in my Sophomore year but I took a year off last year and just worked to see if I could figure out what direction I want to take with my studies. No dice ::meh::
what about you?

Hey dont let money be the biggest of your worries. A lot of friends of mine do that and they won't ever travel for more then a week or two at a time.

I know safety and comfort is nice, and you will find it from time to time as well especially if you network and be good to people.

But never be afraid to barder, spange, busk, dumpstee dive and so on.

As for travel partner definitely find one if you can, but don't rely on them. I started off five or so weeks ago with someone else and she ditched me as far south in california as I can go without getting shot by border patrols. I was actually supposed to go to Florida with her, now I have no idea if I will even leave state again. With that being said, plans will change as you go along.

You find little pieces of magic and anxiety alike.

Just don't let any sort of fear stop you, your heart wants what it wants for a reason.

VikingAdventurer

Guardian of the Knowledge of the Wastes
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
God! All you new-to-the-road people are making me want to get back on that road SOO BAD!!!
I would love SO MUCH to share experience, knowledge and stories with people again, because it goes both ways and I LOVE learning new shit!
I gotta stay here for a little while longer though, as I'm working on evolving from Leathertramp to Rubbertramp. It'll be totally worth it once I do, and I hope to meet so many of you that I've seen on here!
:D

kidbob

Reaction score
thats cool...some people do this out of it being necessary to survive having no other option...be careful..youre a different breed...good luck

Would this be a refrence to palamino syndome?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads