Young and completely new to life on the road

sucuri

Reaction score
Website
www.HitchTheWorld.com
No dinner and a bit of vodka helped that along friend... my strength and my weakness...

Dude... dude... I mnm totally am exaggerating... I so did not rate every one of your posts... LOL ::clown::

As far as the OP... Sierra... good luck... and be careful... and keep good company.

Ditto. And whoa...I just rated your post. It's like Facebook but much, much better. ::eek:ldman::::eek:ldman::::eek:ldman::::eek:ldman::::eek:ldman::::eek:ldman::::eek:ldman::::eek:ldman::

and plenty o' booze down here as well buddy ::drinkingbuddy::::drinkingbuddy::::drinkingbuddy::.......man there's a smiley for EVERYTHING here

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Careful....you might get a red -1 ::troll:::eek:::bawling:: hahahaha

Fuck this...do I need to insult your cats gran ma ma... I can't even get a red -2 ::hilarious::

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Aye...... anyway... lol sarcasm or whatever there... damn man we be hijacking this thread. Sierra... get back to us... let us know if your gonna gear up and travel. Its a good idea I reckon.

sucuri

Reaction score
Website
www.HitchTheWorld.com
Fuck this...do I need to insult your cats gran ma ma... I can't even get a red -2 ::hilarious::

Well actually we're totally off topic now so that might result in a negative....thing

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Hijack... hijack what? Sierra this whole sequence has been an educational example of the kind of chill cool people you may meet out on your travels.... I hope you do decide to go out and see where the road leads. Good Luck.

Reactions: sucuri

sucuri

Reaction score
Website
www.HitchTheWorld.com
Aye...... anyway... lol sarcasm or whatever there... damn man we be hijacking this thread. Sierra... get back to us... let us know if your gonna gear up and travel. Its a good idea I reckon.

YES. Sierra, hit the road already it's not so bad and fun most of the time. We be drunkards on the internet, take us with a grain o salt... ::asshat::

Reactions: Odin

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Lets just not forget... I'm the king of the ::asshat:: I suggest if you think so... gimme a -red

kaichulita

soul rebel
Reaction score
I'm in the same position as you are and am traveling next summer too! Nice to meet you :)

Sierra

Reaction score
Wow! I didn't think I'd get replies this fast. I'm sorry for not responding to you all sooner. I want to thank all of you for being so welcoming. I will definitely be PM'ing some of you to ask a lot of newbie questions if you don't mind. I can agree with both of you @daveycrockett and @sucuri. I am different than those who do it out of necessity and thats why Im here, now. Because I'm ignorant of a lot of what's out there and I want to be semi ready for whats to come. I grew up middle class and so my family wasn't dirt poor in the sense that we were desperate just to get by. But my family was poor in every other aspect. "Some people are so poor all they have is money." I think someones signature in here is that quote.. I've come to value a lot of things since I've moved away from the influence of my family, but money isn't one of them. I appreciate the warning. But no worries, I won't be deterred by anyone's negative view of me or what I'm doing.
glad to meet you all! :)

kaichulita

soul rebel
Reaction score
@kaichulita yeah? Florida isn't too far from TN. maybe we'll cross paths!
I was in Tennesse this past summer for Bonnaroo! hahah, I have a friend I plan on traveling with... Maybe we can meet up in the summer. You said you're in college? What year?

Sierra

Reaction score
really? I wanted to go to that but ahh money =/ I'm trying to find a travel buddy as well because I'm so new to this. I'm in my Sophomore year but I took a year off last year and just worked to see if I could figure out what direction I want to take with my studies. No dice ::meh::
what about you?

Last edited:

kaichulita

soul rebel
Reaction score
really? I wanted to go to that but ahh money =/ I'm trying to find a travel buddy as well because I'm so new to this. I'm in my Sophomore year but I took a year off last year and just worked to see if I could figure out what direction I want to take with my studies. No dice ::meh::
what about you?

Hahaha, you sound like me!

I'm a sophomore in college also. My freshman year I had no idea what exactly I wanted to do with my life, because everyone was always pressuring me to go to college so that I could get a good job after I graduated. That made me really frustrated and so I said fuck it, I'm going to study what I want to. Now, I'm double majoring as a music and fine arts major. I still hate school though :p Anyway, that growing urge to travel hasn't left and it's making me kind of depressed... which is why I'm on here to make my dream into reality! I've been buying gear-- I have a backpack now and a few other supplies. I suggest you start doing research on what to carry... If you want, we should definitely keep in touch!

Sierra

Reaction score
Hahaha, you sound like me!

I'm a sophomore in college also. My freshman year I had no idea what exactly I wanted to do with my life, because everyone was always pressuring me to go to college so that I could get a good job after I graduated. That made me really frustrated and so I said fuck it, I'm going to study what I want to. Now, I'm double majoring as a music and fine arts major. I still hate school though :p Anyway, that growing urge to travel hasn't left and it's making me kind of depressed... which is why I'm on here to make my dream into reality! I've been buying gear-- I have a backpack now and a few other supplies. I suggest you start doing research on what to carry... If you want, we should definitely keep in touch!
Yeah, I definitely regret going to college straight out of high school. All that pressure is ridiculous. How can anyone know what they want to do for the rest of their life that quickly? I'm leaning towards an environmental science, but I hate school as well so idk how that will go haha.
That's my plan as well, I've been saving up so I can buy some decent gear that will last me. I've been talking to a few roadies and trying to get a general idea of what the basics are. If you have a list or some tips that would be great!
It's hard to find someone with the a similar perspective around my age, I agree we should keep in touch!

Reactions: kaichulita

Cirno9

Reaction score
You know I have been traveling and going to school on and off and I find that way to be best for me (half a year school, half a year or so traveling) :), if you are anywhere near memphis I would be more than happy to meet up and show u some things but for now let me give a basic list of things I wish I had because right now I am basically traveling with nothing since my supplies got trashed cept my backpack and most things in there (pants, few shirts, and my laptop basically).

A tent for rainy days and urban/wilderness camping
A 0 degree sleeping bag
a 50L or 60L backpack (preferably waterproof)
socks... socks.. PACK A SHITLOAD OF SOCKS (and other feet protectors, dont get feet wet man just dont)
some pocket change for laundry mats in case clothes do get wet and you are in a city and they need to be dried
a tarp
a knife to keep safe with pls
pack for weather changes as well (rain, heat, whatever pack for all environments)
A sharpie (you might need to fly a sign)
I also have an assortment of hygiene stuff like toothpaste, hand sanitizer, sanitizing wipes, scented lotion, shampoo/conditioner but this is all minor shit.

thats the end of my list but there is more to be added I just travel with the bare minimum and my laptop for entertainment, I dont train hop cept for a few times and I just suggest you dont until someone shows you how in person or you a lot through the section in the forum, its a good way to get hurt if you dont know what you are doing. (dont mean to sound like an after school special but...)

I am going to be in memphis in a week to get out of this ohio rain, if you are there we can talk some or feel free to message me if not. I travel out of need, homeless and broke but I manage like many others here so we can be a great resource and maybe the extra push you need to actually start doing it. Welcome to the board and have safe/happy travels!!!

sucuri

Reaction score
Website
www.HitchTheWorld.com
Yeah, I definitely regret going to college straight out of high school. All that pressure is ridiculous. How can anyone know what they want to do for the rest of their life that quickly?!

Yeah, I tried that too for about a month, than realized that after 13 years of school the last thing I wanted was another four years of school....aaanyways, do what feels right, generally speaking if you're misearable you should probably be doing something else.

Siphran

Reaction score
Hey Sierra, I'm in the same boat as you and Kaichulita (she actually directed me to this forum) I'm setting off in January though, and from Cali. Might be passing through on the way to Florida, see you on the rails maybe.

Reactions: Sierra

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads