Young and completely new to life on the road | Squat the Planet

Young and completely new to life on the road

Sierra

Reaction score
Hi all, my name is Sierra and I've actually never traveled on my own. I grew up under really conservative parents and was incredibly sheltered. It wasn't until I got to college that I started branching out and finding my own interests and I started to discover I had a wanderlust that can't be tamed. growing up I was always fascinated by trains and how small they made me feel, and it's been on my bucket list forever to hop one.
I finally decided this year that I would stop daydreaming and make life on the road/train happen. Next summer I'm cutting ties and taking off. Until then I'd love to meet like minded people and gather as many tips and tricks as I can so I can be fully prepared and maybe have some new friends as well.

West

Squatter Fodder
Reaction score
I experienced a similar transition from sheltered conservative suburban life to road living. I decided to hit the road at sixteen and spent the next two years researching and getting into train stuff on the internet.

I gotta say I had a pretty unrealistic idea about what the road would be like! It ain't the 1930s and it ain't hipster punk utopia. Its safer than gramma thinks but there are definitely people and animals who aren't down with your idealistic hobo trip! I'd recommend finding a travel Bud!

Also don't let people give you shit about being idealistic or clean or new to the road! Be yourself and don't compromise to "homelesser-than-thou" shitters!!!

goldendose

Reaction score
If I was in your shoes.... I would forget the idea of learning how to ride trains in "the states" and instead I would come to Alaska. This is where I learned to ride trains and it is my home now. I believe that the way the railroad system is setup in AK makes it conducive to learning. I can go into more detail on this subject if you like. (keep in mind that I am a novice and some veterans might disagree with my assessment)

and some general words of wisdom (that I wish I would have been able to grasp a very long LONG time ago)..... Remember that many people who travel as a lifestyle are only doing so in an attempt to escape from themselves. Avoid people who do not seem to understand that "no matter where you go, there you are."

sucuri

Reaction score
Website
www.HitchTheWorld.com
thats cool...some people do this out of it being necessary to survive having no other option...be careful..youre a different breed...good luck

Different breed...we, the people of the road, come from every walk of life. We are sons and daughters of the CEO's, the comfortably rich, the Middle Class, the doing all right, the could do with more, the poor, and the plywood walls. Sorry, but if we start classifying ourselves as "breeds" just because we came from an all-right off family, then our lifestyle loses all its meaning.

Anyways, years ago I was in a similar situation. Unfortunatly I hopped few trains -- but the ones I did manage to catch were EXCELLENT hours of life. Even some of the best ones. Hop that train, hitch that ride -- but above all hit that lonely road. It ain't so lonely once you get aways down :)

Last edited:

daveycrockett

Reaction score
Different breed...we, the people of the road, come from every walk of life. We are sons and daughters of the CEO's, the comfortably rich, the Middle Class, the doing all right, the could do with more, the poor, and the plywood walls. Sorry, but if we start classifying ourselves as "breeds" just because we came from an all-right off family, than our lifestyle loses all its meaning.

Anyways, years ago I was in a similar situation. Unfortunatly I hopped few trains -- but the ones I did manage to catch were EXCELLENT hours of life. Even some of the best ones. Hop that train, hitch that ride -- but above all hit that lonely road. It ain't so lonely once you get aways down :)
ok no problem..

Reactions: Odin

sucuri

Reaction score
Website
www.HitchTheWorld.com
@daveycrockett ... @Sierra ... if we all saw eye to eye, the world would be a grey place indeed...and that's kinda the beauty of it :D

• Haha
Reactions: PBR Ike and West

daveycrockett

Reaction score
ok no problem..im trying to make a point that this girl is inexperienced..and coming from a sheltered environment should realize that there are street motherfuckers and just public who would not appreciate her due to the fact she is making a choice to do this.. was trying to say is be careful you attract what you put out so as long as you have a good heart you should be fine...

• Sad

sucuri

Reaction score
Website
www.HitchTheWorld.com
ok no problem..im trying to make a point that this girl is inexperienced..and coming from a sheltered environment should realize that there are street motherfuckers and just public who would not appreciate her due to the fact she is making a choice to do this.. was trying to say is be careful you attract what you put out so as long as you have a good heart you should be fine...

Sure dude, not trying to flame or anything at all. I agree, she should totally go into this with a smooth, informed head. That's what she's doing here, after all. And if she's gotten this far than I hope to assume her heart's in the right place. But at the same time..."breed of person?" Come on man. If we're both on StP than we probably agree on a shitload of issues. But shit, the word "breed" kind of triggered something in me. I'm probably blowing this outta proportion. But it seemed to me kinda pretentious. No offense, man.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I have rated all your posts...This is a good conversation. I agree with you both. Travelers are all different breeds and they all share the same spirit.

daveycrockett

Reaction score
Sure dude, not trying to flame or anything at all. I agree, she should totally go into this with a smooth, informed head. That's what she's doing here, after all. And if she's gotten this far than I hope to assume her heart's in the right place. But at the same time..."breed of person?" Come on man. If we're both on StP than we probably agree on a shitload of issues. But shit, the word "breed" kind of triggered something in me. I'm probably blowing this outta proportion. But it seemed to me kinda pretentious. No offense, man.
cool..like i said no problem..just trying to help..

Reactions: sucuri

sucuri

Reaction score
Website
www.HitchTheWorld.com
I have rated all your posts...This is a good conversation. I agree with you both. Travelers are all different breeds and they all share the same spirit.

@...Odin said in a sentence what it took me two posts to anunciate :)

What I was really trying to discourage was @Sierra feeling like she didn't belong because she was something different.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
@...Odin said in a sentence what it took me two posts to anunciate :)

What I was really trying to discourage was @Sierra feeling like she didn't belong because she was something different.

No dinner and a bit of vodka helped that along friend... my strength and my weakness...

I HAVE RATED ALL YOUR POSTS!::finger:::D

Dude... dude... I mnm totally am exaggerating... I so did not rate every one of your posts... LOL ::clown::

As far as the OP... Sierra... good luck... and be careful... and keep good company.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads