WWOOF

A

Arapala

Has anyone actually participated in this organization? I would like to talk to someone who has. Looks like it would be an interesting way to move around, even in different countries. Especially for people learning about self sufficiently.

http://www.wwoof.org/
"

World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms "
...living, learning, sharing organic lifestyles

Hillbilly Castro

Reaction score
I've heard mixed things. Some people have told of glowing experiences, others have said it was an unpleasant stay in a squalid, third world backwater. I think it largely has to do with your outlook. If you embrace the notion of living in some wild territory, far out from cities, relatively isolated, doing farm work etc, it could be your bag. If not, I'd avoid it.
This is just hearsay, I've not actually done it. I'd really like to, I'll be watching this thread.

soledad

Reaction score
Website
www.jrdnrhtjrdnrh.net
my friend did this while she traveled around, said it was a great time. didn't hear any squalid backwater stories. she's not a dirty punker either. another acquaintance erin, started a little blog about a france trip. i don't know if she used wwoof but it looked like she was staying on a farm. you could ask her.. she's congenial.

mamamutiny

Reaction score
i've known a few people who've done the wooof thing. one girl i actually met because she was wooofing at a farm outside my town, and she had a good experience there. then she liked it here enough to find a place and stay. then, another friend of mine did her wooof tour in columbia. she had some cool experiences and learned a lot, but then she stayed on this farm where the guy in charge was a huge fucking creeper (she actually had to sneak out of there in the middle of the night). i think that your experiences will definitely vary farm to farm, and in tune with your expectations. oh, and as i understand it, you pay a flat rate, then the wooof site gives you access to the contact info for the participating farms (for one year, i'm pretty sure).

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads