Would you find a "no hard drugs" sign to be discriminatory? | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Would you find a "no hard drugs" sign to be discriminatory?

A

AnOldHope

Sounds like an interesting idea @AnOldHope
Do you have much experience with permaculture? I ran a community garden in Detroit and we did veggies, mushrooms, chickens, and even tobacco. Water collection is key, as stated. I'd love to hear more about it!

As for the hard drugs, definitely no meth. When I was in Detroit we didn't have that problem, but we did have junkies leaving needles everywhere. I'm no saint and have done my share of hard drugs, but that's just bad form. So is the tweaking I've seen out west. Good of you to ask, though.

I think where I'm hosed is water. Or rather, not hosed. Whichever would mean "not enough" here. I think eventually if I make one acre all water catchers it could provide enough for the goats most months, but I'm not sure I could get any crops going (I am sometimes wrong about things, though).

Apparently the soil quality here isn't bad, there's just not enough water. I've been told to try citrus trees, dates, I think sorgum or something, but all of those operations out here have irrigation from a well or other water source.

I'm open to ideas on anything.

There are some sickly looking cattle, about four, in this area (open range law here), I don't know where they get their water, I figured their owner puts a water tank out, or they go up to a spring closer to the ridge, I dunno.

How did the tobacco smoke?

• Haha
Reactions: tacopirate

tacopirate

Reaction score
Not hosed, eh?! That was great, I laughed my ass off. At any rate, water will be the issue. I'd imagine you could follow the cattle and find out where their water comes from. If it's a farmer your SOL, and a spring may or may not be better. It depends on where you are. Rain collection is ideal, but can only do so much in a dry climate.
I have no experience growing citrus or dates - though I have plenty consuming them. Sorghum, I have absolutely no idea. Here's a cursory search:
https://www.google.com/#q=growing+sorghum

As for the tobacco, I had a hard time curing it in Michigan. We ended up chewing most of it, but it still wasn't that great. Smoking it was for the brave and foolish...

A

AnOldHope

Not hosed, eh?! That was great, I laughed my ass off. At any rate, water will be the issue. I'd imagine you could follow the cattle and find out where their water comes from. If it's a farmer your SOL, and a spring may or may not be better. It depends on where you are. Rain collection is ideal, but can only do so much in a dry climate.
I have no experience growing citrus or dates - though I have plenty consuming them. Sorghum, I have absolutely no idea. Here's a cursory search:
https://www.google.com/#q=growing+sorghum

As for the tobacco, I had a hard time curing it in Michigan. We ended up chewing most of it, but it still wasn't that great. Smoking it was for the brave and foolish...

I might be able to get a small square area irrigated for one or two seasons with rain catchers, but I'm expecting to use most or all of that for the goats.

What we need is a genetically engineered form of kale that also has thc and thrives on goat piss and cigarette butts and tastes like blue cheese.

Come on, Monsanto, do something for the world for once.

• Haha
Reactions: tacopirate
F

FrumpyWatkins

You have to hang it in a preferably wood building that is well vented for a number of months. Then put small batches in paper bags to absorb more moisture, then grind. Interestingly enough, the Amish use hoop houses to dry it now, more just a high tunnel, but still not wood. I prefer an old corn crib for the fall and winter.

Homegrown tobacco is always going to be extremely resinous and harsh, especially the larger leaves. Most commercial tobacco isn't even real leaf, it's "blend" aka soaked paper and leaf.

A

AnOldHope

You have to hang it in a preferably wood building that is well vented for a number of months. Then put small batches in paper bags to absorb more moisture, then grind. Interestingly enough, the Amish use hoop houses to dry it now, more just a high tunnel, but still not wood. I prefer an old corn crib for the fall and winter.

Homegrown tobacco is always going to be extremely resinous and harsh, especially the larger leaves. Most commercial tobacco isn't even real leaf, it's "blend" aka soaked paper and leaf.

I did not know that.

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
Of course it is discriminatory ... by the definition of the word. ;)

No, seriously. My 2 cents about it:

1. It's your fuckin place, so you make the fuckin rules. Period.

2. This rule seems very responsible to me.

I'm not using what was described here as "hard drugs". I have friends who do, though. I do not judge. Some can handle it, some struggle with it, unfortunately.

But anyway, I think your approach is sound and solid.

Reactions: beersalt

tacopirate

Reaction score

I did't know that either. Thanks!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads