Wooden frame/basket 'primitive' pack ??? | Squat the Planet

Wooden frame/basket 'primitive' pack ???

Linda/Ziggy

Reaction score
So we have talked about frame packs, framless packs but,,,,,,,,
I was wondering if anyone has ever made a 'primitive' wooden frame pack/basket pack ??

Any ideas , www links to go info etc would be appreciated.

Linda/Ziggy

dprogram

Reaction score
Reactions: Skooky

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
I know in bamboo basket making there are japanese basket backpacks, and they look like giant oval baskets, but I don't know links to that. I looked at the primitive ways frame, and it would be more comfortable if the bottom part was a curved piece with a strip of fabric or braided cord attached to the ends like a bowstring- so it'd be resting against the bottom of your back instead of the rod. Of course that means it'd have to be attached to the side rods pretty well to prevent rotation. I had a swiss pack like that, but it used metal and not wood- same principle though.

foxtailV

Reaction score
I've been developing my pack. A northfAce duffel base camp pack reinforced with aluminum a frame. I tried this morning without and its raining my back is killing me...! Imm going back to get it. The duffel is a made of air tight material water proof. I want something inovative and unique. Its worth the pain. I. Hope.

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Reaction score
This seemed like an interesting modern twist on making a pack basket, aka. "trapper's basket" "Adirondak pack".

I sometimes use a traditional woven pack basket, usually when I'm just hauling my basketry supplies and tools somewhere as opposed to camping or traveling. Mine has a custom heavy nylon lining in it. But I have hauled a full load in it with traditional straps which are much less cushy than those alice straps, and found pack baskets to be comfortable, I guess it all depends on what you are doing, or hauling. I think this plastic trash can version might be good for wetter climates & activities.

rugburn

Reaction score
ive always thought of using the spinal columns/ribcages for an external frame lined with leather i think that would have a cool effect

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads