Wilderness Squatting : Shelter

hiveranno

Reaction score
Sorry all, found out that the law doesnt like people like me telling them their down falls... anyways, im back and here to talk shelter, when i first started, i quickly learned that shelter was one of the main needs for survival. without it, you are cold and miserable, sunburnt and exposed. you begin wandering in places that can only hurt you more then the environment itself. this shelter saved my bacon more then once and its easily aqcuired. i was walking up a traveled "highway" near the town im currently in looking to find a squat on the outskirts of town. there are several abandoned buildings and sheds heading north. while i was walking i past this dump for rural people and decided to chill out till after dark and wait for the county employee to leave. from the wood line i noticed several heaps of construction materials and garage items. i went back to town and purchased a 3$ flashlight to assist me and returned just after dark. in my search i found a 18' tarp with some hole but decent and used rolls of that house wrap. both items are good and water proof. i remeber as a kid i had a 9' tipi that i used to hide in when my dad would come looking for somebody to beat on. i made the tipi myself but could never get a fire to burn good in it. since then ive learned the errors of my ways.

i found a good place to set up, close to the dump and away from civilization. i constructed a 14'tipi out of my tarp. i layed the tarp on the ground and spread it out. i folded it in half to mark center and drove a stick in the ground at that point. i tied a piece of trust 550 cord to the stick and stretched it across the tarp along the folded edge and tied a knot at the width of the tarp to mark the distance. i then unfolded the tarp and grabbed a piece of coal from the fire pit. i held the coal at the knot and drew a line in the arc formed by the rope and stake. i cut the tarp on the line forming a 14' half circle.

know for the frame. i untied my rope from the stake. you will use this to measure the 16-17'' poles you need. i went out and cut down 7 trees. and measured them with the 550 used to mark the tarp, from where you tied to the stake to the knot plus an arm length longer. the tops of the poles should be about 2-3 inches (as long as you index finger) and layed three next to each other. about an arm length down fromthe top, i tied them together. dont use a weak ass knot and bind them good. the remaining distance should be the width of your tarp...14'.

stand the three poles up and spread them out so they stand. then add the other poles inbetween them except one. on the tarp there are these metal rings called grommets. there should be one in the middle where you originally drove the stake to mark it out. tie a small loop of rope on that grommet. tie the last pole on the tarp to help you lift it into place. figure out where you want the door and lift the tarp on the oppisite side. pull the tarp around the poles till the two straight edges meet up. overlap the edges and poke holes behind the grommets to tie the edges together. tyou want this over lapped to prevent water from coming in.

next spread out the standing poles to tighten up the tarp. you will notice that there is a gap from the bottom of the tarp to the ground. dont get upset, that is neccessary to have a fire inside. the next step is to make the liner.

the liner is just any thing on the inside to make a wall. i used the house wrap stuff and cut it so it made a wall about 5' -6' feet high around the inside of the tipi and stake it to the ground with sticks. i also used it as a floor to keep the dust down inside. i tied the wall to the poles on the top, middle and bottom. that leave a gap in the wall between the outside and inside walls. this is what you need to draft you fire. you may have to adjust your poles a bit to make the door side lay back a bit or you may need to cut your poles off in the back about 6 inches. in the middle of the tipi i dug a hole about a foot or two deep and lined it with rocks for a fire pit. it doesnt take much to heat these. i lived in one for a minnesota winter and was always toasty warm. there are other shelters you can make but nothing beats tipis. there are websites out there to assist you should you need pix. need help just pm me, if im not in the can again...lol:rules:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads