Wilderness Squatting : protein

hiveranno

Reaction score
Roadkill
Eating roadkill. Some people turn up their noses at this. So starve. If done right, roadkill can provide an free meal. every young brat ive ever seen on the road will damn near destroy their car to have the 5 second glory of squishing a critter. Part of the philosophy of travel is to never pass up a free meal.
The outlook of survival is always being on the ready for a free meal and taking them every time they arise will. Taken in isolation, one free meal gets you nowhere, but dozens, hundreds of free meals over the years keeps your belly full and your legs a roving.
It is my impression that traveling, and by saving and making money for travel, is similar to a philosophy — a way of looking at the world and your place in it. By saving a few bucks by scooping up and taking a free source of protein allows you to move a little further through space and time and also allows you to take an active part in existence, to put energy directly into your belly and to feel as if you earned the miles traveled. Claiming, cleaning, and cooking roadkill takes little work.
A traveler’s main resource is knowledge you’ve earned from experience, learning from others and by your mistakes. You can have dust and lint in your pocket and as long as you have something in your belly, you can go on forever.
Fresh roadkill is meat.. fresh roadkill can be eaten like any other meat but you have to prep it yourself. A walk through the parks, and side streets of a city can reveal a generous splatter of pre slaughtered meat. Free protein lays underfoot everywhere, you just need to check it out, scoop it up, skin it, cook it thoroughly, and eat it.
I don’t imagine many kids making a career out of eating road kill, but only when the opportunity arises, don’t hesitate. This is a travel tip of opportunity … I would not let an entire pizza in a dumpster go to waste, so why would I let that freshly run down squirrel rot uneaten?
To do so would to be a chooser rather than a beggar, a picky scavenger. I have had friends who have acquired large portions of their weekly protein allowance by scavenging the roads for freshly smashed critters, but it is my feeling that don’t exert more energy then what you gain by searching for food. there is not much meat to be had from a squirrel, rabbit, or other small road kill delicacy so don’t burn what you cant replace. Therefore, as with most scavenging tactics, this is an activity of opportunity.

Only take roadkill that is fresh. If the animal is stiff, bloated, cold, has glazed over eyes, it is not fresh. A good piece of roadkill has a pliable body and legs and parts that can still be moved easily. Do not take a piece of roadkill that has already turned towards rigamortus.
Do not even touch a dead animal that has already been feasted on by insects and maggots. Take only what has been freshly run over and is still warm and bendable. Choosing a piece of roadkill to take home and eat is like watching an old lady pick out the best watermelon in a grocery store:
They pick all of them up, knock on it, listen to its insides, and then they pick the best damn watermelon of the bunch.
Choose roadkill the same way. If you did not see the animal get run over, inspect it well before taking it home. Try to touch it as little as possible with your bare hands. Poke it with a stick to see if is too stiff or bloated. Flip it over a few times to make sure that it is not already stuck to the pavement and being eaten by insects and worms. Look at its eyes, are they clear and black?
I would like to either see that car run over the animal or be able to gauge the time of death by my familiarity with an area:
I know this dead squirrel was not here the first time I walked by here, therefore it must have been run over no more than a half hour ago.
Like this, you will be able to determine if the smashed animal is, in fact, fresh enough to eat. If you have any real suspicions about how old a piece of roadkill is or if it could be good enough to eat, don’t bother with it. As I stated earlier, one free meal in isolation is not going to get you very far so taking an iffy piece of roadkill is probably not worth the risks. Go dumpster diving instead.
But if you know that the easy meat was freshly killed, then scavenge it. Pick it up by the tail with a rag in your hand — if one is available — and try to touch the roadkill with bare hands as little as possible.
How to skin a squirrel
You see all these sites of people showing you how to properly skin a squirrel and by the time they are done you have this neat little hide and a chunk of meat covered in fucking hair and whatever else. Two steps to skinning a squirrel, which will work on other little critters also. Take your knife, cut across the back mid point of the critter. About an inch or two across. Stick your fingers in the hole on each side. Get at least your index and fuck you finger in the hole. Bring the animal up to get some leverage and pull in opposite directions taking the skin off the animal like a shirt and pants. Cut off the legs and head and tail. Step 2, gut the critter, make sure you get the lungs and heart. Consider eating some of the organs if your really hungry. There is something called rabbit (or rabid) starvation because wild game is so lean, there is a lot of fat and extras in the heart, liver, kidneys that can pull you through. I always used to take the guts fishing also for bait.

Reaction score
i am not above eatin roadkill...where i kome from there is tons of dead squirrel. a buffet of free game!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads