where to setup in Vermont? | Squat the Planet

where to setup in Vermont?

Tekamthi

Reaction score
Any recommendations for a good spot to spend a few weeks or months in Vermont? Maybe the winter?

I've been a few times this summer with the pandemic on, and things seem nice and quiet and dead in a perfect way that suits me... plus in Canada we think of this as our 14th province (nvm that we only have 10) but all the hostels etc. seem to be closed, and it would be nice to sleep inside without risking a close encounter with LEO as things get colder... not afraid to spend some $$ but would rather keep this aspect minimal

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: FtWindRiver

Mongoose2

Reaction score
Any recommendations for a good spot to spend a few weeks or months in Vermont? Maybe the winter?

I've been a few times this summer with the pandemic on, and things seem nice and quiet and dead in a perfect way that suits me... plus in Canada we think of this as our 14th province (nvm that we only have 10) but all the hostels etc. seem to be closed, and it would be nice to sleep inside without risking a close encounter with LEO as things get colder... not afraid to spend some $$ but would rather keep this aspect minimal

Thanks in advance!

If you're willing to just come and be a homeless person for a while in any decently populated area, you'll most likely be able to get a free hotel room. You just need to call Vermont Economic Services or 211 and explain you've been sleeping outside and you heard there were rooms available. They'll ask some questions, but you shouldn't even have to bullshit them. Once you're in, you can pretty much just keep sucking the state's teat until you feel guilty and move on.

Tekamthi

Reaction score
If you're willing to just come and be a homeless person for a while in any decently populated area, you'll most likely be able to get a free hotel room. You just need to call Vermont Economic Services or 211 and explain you've been sleeping outside and you heard there were rooms available. They'll ask some questions, but you shouldn't even have to bullshit them. Once you're in, you can pretty much just keep sucking the state's teat until you feel guilty and move on.

hey that's nice to know -- guess i'm looking for more a place i can find some odd jobs without too much trouble, and a cheap but paid-for room rental. Just a preference from the culture i was raised in, but I don't like to register for state anything if i can avoid it. I still have some cash banked from working last winter, so my yet-to-be-planned plan is to spend that (slowly) and get into something that lets me earn more for next summer's adventures.

Visited Burlington area a few times but prices for housing, accompanying reference checks and jobs etc are all very structured and beyond what I can easily jump into after having lived the past six months or so just doing my own thing, especially with uvm students competing for all of these.

• Best of Luck!
Reactions: Forth

stove

Reaction score
Old thread, but still relevant: Yeah, Burlington is frigging expensive and everyone wants references and an arm, but check out most of the rest of the state- plenty of farms need work, small stores etc.

And hitchhiking, bussing and riding are all possible, just slow.

• Useful
Reactions: Tekamthi and Forth

daveycrockett

Reaction score
Anyone have any recent intel on Vermont? Is it hard to find work?

Little more difficult in winter. Ski fuckers are tourists you may have luck at slopes. Summer is summer. Small towns, unless you are grandfathered in or have cash or know someone new england is a bitch. Minus Massachusetts.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads