where to setup in Vermont? (1 Viewer)

Tekamthi

Wayfarer
Reaction score
Any recommendations for a good spot to spend a few weeks or months in Vermont? Maybe the winter?

I've been a few times this summer with the pandemic on, and things seem nice and quiet and dead in a perfect way that suits me... plus in Canada we think of this as our 14th province (nvm that we only have 10) but all the hostels etc. seem to be closed, and it would be nice to sleep inside without risking a close encounter with LEO as things get colder... not afraid to spend some $$ but would rather keep this aspect minimal

Thanks in advance!

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

Mongoose2

Wanderer
Reaction score
Any recommendations for a good spot to spend a few weeks or months in Vermont? Maybe the winter?

I've been a few times this summer with the pandemic on, and things seem nice and quiet and dead in a perfect way that suits me... plus in Canada we think of this as our 14th province (nvm that we only have 10) but all the hostels etc. seem to be closed, and it would be nice to sleep inside without risking a close encounter with LEO as things get colder... not afraid to spend some $$ but would rather keep this aspect minimal

Thanks in advance!

If you're willing to just come and be a homeless person for a while in any decently populated area, you'll most likely be able to get a free hotel room. You just need to call Vermont Economic Services or 211 and explain you've been sleeping outside and you heard there were rooms available. They'll ask some questions, but you shouldn't even have to bullshit them. Once you're in, you can pretty much just keep sucking the state's teat until you feel guilty and move on.

Tekamthi

Wayfarer
Reaction score
If you're willing to just come and be a homeless person for a while in any decently populated area, you'll most likely be able to get a free hotel room. You just need to call Vermont Economic Services or 211 and explain you've been sleeping outside and you heard there were rooms available. They'll ask some questions, but you shouldn't even have to bullshit them. Once you're in, you can pretty much just keep sucking the state's teat until you feel guilty and move on.

hey that's nice to know -- guess i'm looking for more a place i can find some odd jobs without too much trouble, and a cheap but paid-for room rental. Just a preference from the culture i was raised in, but I don't like to register for state anything if i can avoid it. I still have some cash banked from working last winter, so my yet-to-be-planned plan is to spend that (slowly) and get into something that lets me earn more for next summer's adventures.

Visited Burlington area a few times but prices for housing, accompanying reference checks and jobs etc are all very structured and beyond what I can easily jump into after having lived the past six months or so just doing my own thing, especially with uvm students competing for all of these.

Users who are viewing this thread

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $10.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $10.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully this will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $10.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $10.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.