Where do you like to sleep? | Page 3 | Squat the Planet

Where do you like to sleep?

CelticWanderer

Reaction score
-overpasses

-behind trash compactors of NON grocery stores. Electronic stores or clothing stores. Grocery stores are gross

-cemetaries are great. Lots of company but they are normally a quiet bunch

-train yards. Find a ride out of sight and not connected with the air hoses. You might get worked in the night and obviously theres the risk of your train departing. Normal train safety rules apply here.

-university baseball stadium dugouts. In Tallahassee once the womens softball dugout bathroom was unlocked. Locked myself in and had a wonderful mosquito free night of sleep. Softball players are incredibly clean by the way, thanks yall!

-construction sites but you gotta wake up early. Once one of the workers woke me up and gave me breakfast and told me i coukd keep sleeping if I didnt mind a hydraulic drill. I left!

-but the best place to sleep is on a freight train blasting through the landscape at 70mph
What's the risk of catching a trespassing charge in places like this? I love to travel but finding a place where I feel safe is the hardest thing about it for me. I'm basically a ball of nerves and over worry.

Bibs

Reaction score
What's the risk of catching a trespassing charge in places like this? I love to travel but finding a place where I feel safe is the hardest thing about it for me. I'm basically a ball of nerves and over worry.
Overpasses,behind grocery stores and dugouts have little to no risk of trespassing charges or at least I've never been charged only asked to leave a bunch of times, I'd be more worried about other people walking by and fucking with you, train yards and construction sites on the other hand carry an increased risk and if you get caught it's pretty much 50/50. I personally love sleeping in cemeteries though and have never once been hassled there, you may even find a big tiddy goth gf hanging around.

sevedemanos

Reaction score
Not to keep on derailing this thread, but I bedroll my sleeping pad and sleeping bag in my bivy and strap onto the outside of the pack and I just call it my bedroll. Who cares what it's called , it keeps me warm n cozy n dry <3

I sleep by train yardz a lot obvi. Otherwise in trees by bike paths or walking trails, random patches of trees that don't have evidence of other recent bums. I usually try to get far away from the downtown of cities at night if possible. But yeah in smaller places, I just end up wherever under the stars! So easy to find quiet, chill places to camp in smaller towns. And in Australia, I sleep on the beach a lot.

In rain... on top of sheltered picnic tables in parks, in doorways of community center type buildings, overhangs behind late-opening industry or businesses (check google maps for hours lol), in abandoned rail cars, etc etc just get creative with whatevers around

with a bivy literally just lay down anywhere thats not stomping grounds for tweakers with hatchets.

any building thats got an outlet outside is obvs going to be a spot. even if there is security doing the rounds at 3 am

would not recommend cemetaries. always a handful of locals partying it up all night noisy af. better sleep in most parking lots honestly

this thread though. lol

Last edited:

sevedemanos

Reaction score
Rooftops are great but man you gotta get up early or you just get blasted by the sun and wake up sweatin!

migrated to rooftops during covid bc libraries were all closed and was finding all the outlets for phone and power banks charge up on the roof of shopping centers.

and yeah if you dont wake early enough everyone in town sees you climbing around up there, getting cooked

Raleslicr

Reaction score
I was in the plains of washington, i had gotten dropped off in bumfuck egypt at 11:30pm, I walked along the road for a mile and crawled up a small hill into a field and rolled out maybe 200 yards from the road. the stars were poppin and it was pure silence

• Agree
Reactions: sevedemanos

Otter

Stateless Wanderer
Reaction score
Well... I'm a lover of NOT SLEEPING ON THE FUCKING GROUND, so I prefer to hang a hammock. But, I always bring a tarp and a small air mattress for times when that's not an option.

I've found that open fields don't offer much concealment, but if you can find one with tall grass, you'll be able to sleep in a little longer.

20230701_203648.jpg

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Nomad Missionary & Tree Hugging Jesus Freak
Reaction score
I love sleeping on rooftops. Slept on the roof of this large vacant warehouse in Bloomington, IL, when I was traveling through on my way to Champaign. All the real bums and BS stay on the street while your higher up on a roof. Good for summer, catch a light breeze nobody fucks with you.

I never even considered this! What a fabulous idea!

Reactions: Otter

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Nomad Missionary & Tree Hugging Jesus Freak
Reaction score
Free campgrounds. Usually BLM (Bureau of Land Management ) has parks where you can camp for free for a certain amount of days, primitive, RV and tent camping.

I stick to those. I travel light, so I'm okay roughing it.

sevedemanos

Reaction score
everybody thats not a train kid i talk to always makes a big fuss about where to sleep

i literally just lay down on the ground anywhere relatively quiet. in the summer i barely even bother pulling out the mss. just my jacket. rarely even bother with a matt this time of year. i love the ground, my back likes it well enough and bugs arent typically an issue here in the west

never had any visits by black widows and scorpians and rattlers and ive been sleeping on the ground for years

just rest my head near my gear and doze off

Last edited:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads