When it's too fucking windy | Squat the Planet

When it's too fucking windy

Vulture

Reaction score
I don't know if this is common sense, but I just discovered it. I'm in Texas; it's alway
always windy in Texas. Fucking hate it. I needed to stay up lest I miss an early morning appointment. Anyway I tried hiding from the wind by a dumpster and then by a wall. Aerodynamics was not my friend. I got desperate. I had just dived for food, but the idea was hard to accept, until the wind got worse. I found a residential dumpster, got cardboard for the floor, threw my shit in then myself and closed the lid. Just like that, the wind was then but a sound and not a chilling asshole who wouldn't leave me alone.
I imagine that there may come a time when you have to throw shut out of a commercial dumpster for refuge. Just clean up after yourself. Wanted to share that bit.

Tony Pro

Reaction score
Website
gavincwillow.wordpress.com
Had a similar experience once, I was hitching through a desert area with so much sand blasting in my face I bought a pair of swimming goggles to wear while standing by the road.
After two days the wind had me on the edge of sanity, shouting 'fuck you' into the blast, spitting out a mouthful of sand, then shouting again.
On that second night I found an empty shipping container; I crawled inside, braced the door shut, and there was immediate silence. I lit candles just because I could and slept for a long, long time.

Reactions: Vulture
K

Kim Chee

Sleeping in dumpsters is dangerous as fuck.

It wouldn't be so bad if you could get out of the garbage truck or hang onto the dumpster, but no chance.

There you are getting crushed in the trash, your screams not heard.

At least it isn't windy in there.

Vulture

Reaction score
Sleeping in dumpsters is dangerous as fuck.

It wouldn't be so bad if you could get out of the garbage truck or hang onto the dumpster, but no chance.

There you are getting crushed in the trash, your screams not heard.

At least it isn't windy in there.
Yeh, I was concerned and slept lightly, very lightly... maybe I didn't sleep at all. Either way, when I heard it coming, I was out.

Rob Nothing

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Rather carry the flag all night till daylight and pass out in a park someplace than crawl into a dumpster, if it's really that cold. Unless it's an important phone call, then the wind makes me feel like I have anger problems cause I want to cuss out the person I'm talking to just for being inaudible. But yeah, lows will come. No shame friend.

K

Kim Chee

I've been on IM's and used multipurpose awesomeness cardboard to deflect the wind.

I bet a crafty individual could figure out how to sew that shit into a fort.

Rob Nothing

Banned
Reaction score
craftier people might try sewing themselves a crackhead skin blanket for those breezy nights. more weatherproof than cardboard. but now that's entrepreneurial territory and there are few craftsmen that advanced here. still though, in amarillo, I can't imagine a better way to kill time

K

Kim Chee

craftier people might try sewing themselves a crackhead skin blanket for those breezy nights. more weatherproof than cardboard. but now that's entrepreneurial territory and there are few craftsmen that advanced here. still though, in amarillo, I can't imagine a better way to kill time

Haha, yea. That skin thing reminds me of joe dirt.

I'm talkin' more like tackin' with knotted thread here and there with fishing line or whatever just to hold it rather than taking all damn day to create a hermetically sealed space. Gimme the materials and I'd have a shelter in 15 minutes.

It would be an effective means to hold off the cold/wind if it didn't get too wet.

Rob Nothing

Banned
Reaction score
Cardboard really is a miracle, when it's there.

There's this spot in Bend I always go to cause no one is ever there and there's never any trash and it was perfect sleep where I was laying in autumn.. But I came back through later over summer, and when I went to sleep in the same spot as usual, a sprinkler pops up out of the ground right under me. So I don't just get wet, I get soaked, and all three layers of my bedding soaked inside and outside. Fine, F it, it happens right? but can you imagine how happy I was to find an industrial sized box in the recycling bin? Soaked through but stayed just warm enough inside it to finally catch some Z's.

Reactions: Vulture

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads