What's the best way to stash your shit outside? | Squat the Planet

What's the best way to stash your shit outside?

D

Deleted member 125

i just find a bush away from where most people would be around and cover it up in there. if you dont mind paying a few bucks alot of greyhound stations or gyms will rent you a locker and a lock for a few bucks if you planned on not needing yer gear for a day or so.

Reaction score
i just find a bush away from where most people would be around and cover it up in there. if you dont mind paying a few bucks alot of greyhound stations or gyms will rent you a locker and a lock for a few bucks if you planned on not needing yer gear for a day or so.

Thanks for the suggestion <3 about the greyhound station/gym :) maybe stash my important paper work and ID there.

AAAutin

Reaction score
I've climbed trees before and tied it up where it wasn't super obvious.

Back in the highly-wooded parks of Portland, I used to tie/lock mine to the trunks of trees. (I'm not limber enough to climb.)

Depending on the size of your pack, you can stash it in a public trash can—under the liner, after it has been changed.

But my biggest piece of advice is this: wherever you stash your shit, make sure you do it somewhere where there aren't any eyes on you. Because no matter how hidden the spot, how strong the lock, how short you're away—if a thief covets your stuff, it's already gone.

angerisagift

Reaction score
All Great suggestions. Also when hiding it in bush try make it look like trash, so isn't to obvious like slightly torn garbage bag on outside but leak resistance garbage bag inside. Also don't alter branches like cutting them to much. Then it doesn't look natural. Good luck

D

Deleted member 2626

I got to remember the lock up thing at a greyhound. My pack becomes a burden sometimes when I wanna check out something in a some town. I haven't stashed my stuff too much in awhile. One time me and a buddy trashed bagged our packs behind a movie theatre we were going into and put them behind a dumpster an dguardrail near some brush. A few times and recently. I find a stellar little spot and set up my tent and leave my understanding dog in there and be gone 10 minutes to acquire food and or water and then come back. But you have to have confidence in the spot and know your animals if you have a said animal. I've been thinking of using my tree climbing fit self to rope my pack climb a tree and sling her up and tie it off where you can't get to it without climbing up for it. Anyone try that?

Reactions: Gin
D

Deleted member 2626

Just read @Geraldo okay nice. Believe I'm going by to try this. It's a pretty good feeling to be free of the pack for awhile and just traipse around with my mutt and a day pack or something.

anterrabae

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
754 Weather Vane Dr, Borrego Springs, CA 92004, US
I have had to do this constantly. Change out of my dirty clothes and into job hunting/civilian uniform and stash my sheit to avoid being pegged for homeless. And for the sake of my back and my sanity I will regularly hide my sleep system.

I have once or twice thought about tying things up in a tree since nobody would expect to find anything up there, beut then again you have to think about eye level differences / line of sight when coming from farther away.. and when something strange catches your attention in a tree its a lot more curious, worthy of note than if its just somebodys shit on the ground.

I will never use a trash can/bin, nor will I ever use a gym locker unless i absolutely need to, because a bus ticket way out to the countryside would cost just as much or less than that.

Normally I look for a likely place to crash that night first which is almost always in the bushes / gray zones near rails and rivers, and then spend an hour finding the perfect bush.. it has to be done invisibly and in the most inconspicuous way possible.

Watch for the telltail signs of junkies and homeless and highschool kids condoms and piss rags and seven eleven boxes and energy drinks and 211 cans everywhere. Or the smell of buried shit, or dogs, or trashbags... avoid - avoid completely. its gotta be some wild bushes

Last edited:

castler

Reaction score
I've currently got my stuff stashed in the woods in a city-issued trash bin on wheels, it's lying down and keeps the rain out and is super big to fit tons of stuff. I don't travel much, but I'll leave it and hope the next spot i end up in can use the same system. Gotta love the woods.

Reactions: JackSquat

sevedemanos

Reaction score
im lazy and dont keep in touch w friends.

was stealth camping while working in portland last year. ive gotten pretty good at sniffing out the right spots.

trash bags are smart, although ive never done that.

i folded a tarp up to 1/4th, buried a few stakes and strung it down as low to the ground as possible. in a way that it looked like the rest of it was buried by pine needles, so it looked like itd been cut down already. had most my things stashed there on a hillside in the woods for 6 months.. rarely went back. its important to keep the flora around alive. i mean so theres no discernible footprint/passage. else youre leading somebody right to it.

stow trash in strategic locations.. stealth camping is tricky but you figure out how to divvy things up in different areas.

my camp was robbed one day by bums around but i hadnt actually left anything there but for the tarp itself. belongings were stowed some hundred yards away bc i was expecting that to happen eventually.

not every city has greenbelts though so it can be difficult

Reactions: JackSquat

Usagi

Reaction score
Most people don't look up, so it's easier for things to not be noticed.

99% of people at least. I used to install drop ceilings for a living and the vast majority didn't notice all our lazy mistakes. I'm convinced the majority of people have never even bothered to look up at the sky. Someone I knew that grew a lot of pot in our area did it in 5 gallon buckets in the tops of trees. He'd spray paint the buckets green/camo and haul them up there using ropes. Plants pretty much took care of themselves. I don't think he'd bother with today's pot laws but back then a plant meant up to 25 years in prison in our area.

Just be sure not to hide your shit so good that you can't find it when you return. Has happened to me more than once.

WizardBlown

shake hands with beef
Reaction score
Back in the highly-wooded parks of Portland, I used to tie/lock mine to the trunks of trees. (I'm not limber enough to climb.)

Depending on the size of your pack, you can stash it in a public trash can—under the liner, after it has been changed.

But my biggest piece of advice is this: wherever you stash your shit, make sure you do it somewhere where there aren't any eyes on you. Because no matter how hidden the spot, how strong the lock, how short you're away—if a thief covets your stuff, it's already gone.

so true ive been in the middle of nowhere in the wood, set down my pack, walked 20 feet and took a shit and came back and it was gone

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads