whatcha reading right now?

bryanpaul

Reaction score
after years out on the road, here I am back in maryland reading the Alcoholic's Anonymous "Big Book"........go figure....... a REALLY good one, about the building of the transcontinental railroad ive read is "Nothing like it in the World..." by Stephen Ambrose

Sandbeard

Reaction score
tom robbins... still life with woodpecker. he's fucking brilliant!

Finished 'Even cowgirls get the blues' a few days ago - first time I had ever read anything by Tom Robbins, he just got a new fan!

Currently reading 'A Colossal Failure of Common Sense' by Lawrence G McDonald. Its supposed to be an insiders story about the colapse of the Lehman Brothers, pretty interesting so far, seems you need a bit of a head for numbers to read it though.

trenwren

Reaction score
Besides my chemistry textbook . . . I'm reading Mannahatta: A Natural History of New York City by Eric W. Sanderson. It's this huge project that a bunch of scientists (ecologists, geologists, etc.) did that answers the question "What did Manhattan look like before Henry Hudson & his other white boys showed up, took over, and f*cked the place up?" I'm also reading Tom Brown's Nature Observation and Tracking field guide. Good stuff.

dharma bum

anarcho-transcendentalist
Reaction score
haha... peachfish! i couldn't think of a better name.
"another roadside attraction" is another good one by tom robbins

anyways

Reaction score
Just finished re-reading 'Dune', by Frank Herbert for reference. Startin 'Heretics of Dune'. I normally read political and ecological stuff, but this stuffs epic.

Just read Dune...fucking awesome book. Now I'm reading Jitterbug Perfume
Tom Robbins has a hilarious writing style.

Eden

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of quite a few books right now.

Difference Engine by William Gibson
Neuromancer by William Gibson again
The Man Who was Thursday by GK Chesterson
Black Christmas by Lewis Black
Behemoth by Scott Westerfield

RnJ

PilgrimAflame
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Steve Stockman's Walk On: The Spiritual Journey of U2

Sandbeard, nice reads on the go. I've read some Schaeffer before, but after you read one or 2 books of his, I feel like they all kinda repeat themselves.

JoeephGarcin

Reaction score
about to reread song of the silent snow by hubert selby jr, i realized this is my favorite collection of short stories.
does anyone have any suggestions of where to start, when trying to understand dawkins and dennett's overall themes/ideas?

dharma bum

anarcho-transcendentalist
Reaction score
Walden by Henry David Thoreau
Lectures of Robert G. Ingersoll
The Mysterious Stranger by Mark Twain

..all free downloads on audiobook @ librivox.org

ahhhh.. love thoreau! just started Lonesome Traveler by Kerouac last night. big thanks to squidaroo for the b-day kickdown!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads