What is your favorite form of activism? | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

What is your favorite form of activism?

Spirit Freeman

Reaction score
Website
m.youtube.com
I have helped out DXE. Also I have been doing my own Activism that I call demonstrations of empowerment where I get people together to hold signs saying stuff like "You are Powerful" "let's unite and resist" and then I pass out pamphlets that I write up and print or that explain many things that show our government is corrupt and encourage them to become active. It is all about educating ourselves and then helping to educate others. Revolution starts in the Mind. What about you Cornelius? :)

Spirit Freeman

Reaction score
Website
m.youtube.com
@Drengor Exactly. I believe boycotting is the first step. And to my surprise, I believe it is the one of the most brushed off, inconsistent things that supposed activists pay any mind to- these days.

Beyond that, is action.
Walking the walk, more than just.. talking the talk. Or, engaging in boycott.

I used to be vegan; for the sake of boycott toward meat production, and the excess- as well as terrible/confined treatment of animals. For capital, and food that isn't even good for you. i.e. Chicken farms that abuse, and harvest chickens only for their eggs.

Now, I have a special needs dog. That, without the patience, and compassion from myself- would be put down. Since I have gotten my new companion, I have drifted from my supposed importance I held toward my act of Veganism. And have now begun to eat animal products again within a tasteful, and non wasteful manner. I still pay much mind, to my consumption, and support of the meat, and animal based food production.

With this type of realistic tactfulness, I believe that I am aiding toward the cause I have felt so passionate about for years in a much more powerful way. And actually making more of a difference, by having my hand in the pot more intimately.

Just because I wasn't eating the burgers random people had already purchased, and given to me based on their own thought of kindness toward a traveler, wasn't helping the cause. At that point, the capital was already spent. Thus, giving support to these companies, and/or fast food chains. I was participating in the waste of such, and I was still hungry. So one day, I decided to eat the burger patty, instead of just the starch.

This was the day I began to no longer be so staunch, about ideology. And be, what I believed in.
Why exactly did you stop being vegan?

Hillbilly Castro

Reaction score
In my mind, "activism" is tied to "society", and I simply don't believe that anything like "society" or "community" exists meaningfully. Individuals can freely associate, but the moment the abstraction of their coming together takes on a life of its own, the shitshow begins.
So, if an egoist iteration of "activism" could be allowed to exist, where my actions are oriented around the improvement of myself and the individual capacities of my immediate associates, then my activist life is characterized mostly by engineering alternatives for the Future Primitive and for rewilding / going feral.
Which is a fancy way of saying I'm a goddamn survivalist wildman individualist. I've figured this out: You can't make someone take freedom for themselves. And if you give them freedom, they won't know what to do with it. The free life most envision is only really relevant or applicable to a tiny sliver of the population. I'm a member of that sliver, and I think a lot of hobos and tramps are. We can make that sliver larger by aesthetic revolt - if my way of being and living is shocking and enriching to passers-by, they may be shocked right into wondering whether they can make another step up the ladder, toward Neitzsche's bridge to the overman.
So I build bike-towed RV's, secret houses throughout the US, I write essays which expand people's understanding of the presently-unfolding ecological collapse and their place in it, I travel around the US and try to understand people's point of view without the "middle-class lordship" complex that university sociologists have.
That's another thing. I highlight the hypocrisies of city folks, yuppies, liberals, PC anarchists-cum-maoists, and every other strain of degenerate ultra-civilized collectivist-moralist-plebeians. And I aim to set the record straight on the multi-ethnic history of resistance of hillbilly and redneck peoples, and aim to encourage white trash folks to celebrate their roots - by engaging in anti-racist action, increasing their self-sufficiency, and so on.

Well, there's my cantankerous coffee-fueled rant. Good morning.

I'm more of an anti fascist activist right now especially because of the rise of fascism in the US since Trump got elected. But usually, more of an animal activist or earth activist.

• Best of Luck!
Reactions: Drengor

All Who Wander

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I volunteered for a popular pro medical marijuana activism group and helped organize a large anti-NTF demonstration (made all 3 networks national news) and candlelit walks through the big events in my town in support of the people arrested (21 charges dropped in my county, no convictions, and the NTF was disbanded in California the following year). I also participated in the Occupy Oakland march that closed the port of Oakland for three days, but now...

I go to Milo Yiannopoulos speaking engagements and laugh at how amazingly stupid that crap is, and then turn right around and laugh at how outrageously ignorant and close-minded the people protesting him are.
"Free speech! Unless you say something I don't agree with, then your a Nazi and it's hate speech!" :rolleyes:::facepalm::::rules::

funny true story... my dad is an incredible racist, he decided last minute to go to that Milo speech. To counter the Milo speech the inclusivity and diversity office of the college put on comedian Kamau Bell in the same building at the same time... In his rush to get there on time, my dad went to the wrong auditorium, and they shut the doors before he realized...

When the black woman with the giant afro started talking about the black lives matter movement and everyone started cheering and applauding, my dad couldn't escape, had to sit there quietly and listen to the rhetoric that gets him spitting angry until somebody else got up to use the bathroom as not to attract attention to himself. I died after he told me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cornelius Vango

Cornelius Vango

Chaos Magician
Banned
Reaction score
My current form of activism is running an off-grid library squat which is an outpost for Squat The Planet. I've hosted three STP Jambos. I also help to distribute dozens of books and materials for free 24/7. I make youtube videos which expose people to the world of squatter, punk and traveller culture. I interact with sometimes hundreds of people a day about our sub-culture dispelling myths and misconceptions about what it means to be anarchist/traveler/queer/punk/off-grid etc. I have about 6,000 subscribers...

I guess the short answer would be that my favorite form of activism is freely distributing information through as many mediums as I possibly can.

BelleBottoms

Reaction score
My current form of activism is running an off-grid library squat which is an outpost for Squat The Planet. I've hosted three STP Jambos. I also help to distribute dozens of books and materials for free 24/7. I make youtube videos which expose people to the world of squatter, punk and traveller culture. I interact with sometimes hundreds of people a day about our sub-culture dispelling myths and misconceptions about what it means to be anarchist/traveler/queer/punk/off-grid etc. I have about 6,000 subscribers...

I guess the short answer would be that my favorite form of activism is freely distributing information through as many mediums as I possibly can.
That's great!! I want to start a library also! I've started drawing up plans, but it's a couple years down the road still.

D

Deleted member 20240

Im a donation junkie. Anything that promotes human rights or helps kids. I try to give what I can. Thiers a ton of things I'd like to take more direct action regarding. But where to start? I wanna do more. I just try to keep my eyes and ears open for opportunities to help whenever, wherever and however I can. Guess that maybe if everyone did that instead of being worried about themselves all the time, we'd all be better taken care of. I also enjoy working on my art. Its kinda abstract, intricate and psychedelic. I enjoy it when someone breaks out of Thier box for a sec to check it out and see what they see. If I can get someone to expand thier viewpoint, I feel like that's healthy for all of us to advance as beings.( If that makes any sense ;)) Its kind of a rewarding feeling, to blow someones mind. Its good for them :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I do a lot of education. But less correcting people I view wrong and more answering the questions of people seeking knowledge. I'm pretty disabled both physically and mentally, so I don't have the ability to do as much action as I'd like. So I do my best to add my voice to the places where it will really count.

I'm slowly working towards building a (mostly) self sufficient community to provide a safe place for the mentally ill & trauma survivors to exist and heal, while also being an open minded crash pad for travelers of all kinds. I say mostly self sufficient because I don't really want to baby sit the place constantly and get tied down, even if I am passionate about meeting this need in the community.

I also do a lot of self improvement and self reflection. How can I expect the world to change for the better if I'm not willing to commit to do the same thing within myself? Do I not live within the world?

Though I can be quite philosophical as I encounter the various barriers in life that affect myself or other marginalized people, I like to think that my activism is as practical as it can be considering my current abilities.

D

Deleted member 20975

Boycotting is my number one (i havent bought anything from walmart in what feels like forever). I used to like spray paint, but with my record its usually not worth it now, unless i really have something to say. Sadly its mostly just circle jerk activity anyway. I love seeing graffiti though (not gang shit or when someone makes something already beaitiful look trashy though). I hit up protests and riots if im around. Also i try to open the eyes of any ignorant person i see. Im with @Drengor with the cleaning up bit. I hate seeing trash everyhere. Some jungles are fucking shit because of it.

WanderLost Radical

Reaction score
I think the only way to make an actual difference in this world, is direct action. Considering that everything is ruled by profit, the only way to make people and companies stop doing stupid shit, is by making it unprofitable to do it. Boycott, monkeywrench, picket lines, name it...

Send a clear message: if you do this, you'll lose money.

They'll stop.

D

Deleted member 20975

Oh i forgot to mention volunteer work. I try to do as much as i can. Basically helping your neighbour/fellow human right. As simple as helping a fellow on the street (though thats more humanity work than activism i suppose). I would like to do some real shit like teaching poor kids somewhere or construction after a disaster.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads