what instruments do you play and in what musical styles? | Squat the Planet

what instruments do you play and in what musical styles?

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
First one I learned was flute. Then sax. Mostly jazz. Play guitar and sing too....been learning more classical and finger picking tunes these days. And folky stuff. Just got a fiddle to start learning bluegrass on too. Decent on didgeridoo too

Reactions: TheSlabsGengar

roguetrader

Reaction score
I play guitar and bass well, mind you I should do coz I been at it for 30 + years.... lately I've been trying to improve my singing coz thats the weak point in my performances - I wanna busk more but I don't think instrumental guitar will be as impressive as vocals / guitar so as I say I gotta improve .... one thing is simply finding songs that suit your natural voice - for example Johnny Cash wasn't the greatest most versatile singer but was still a brilliant performer... I've been trying to convince my partner to sing while I play coz she sings well and has a really good ear for pitch, but she's not keen on having an audience in front of her... myself I have absolutely no 'performance anxiety' - I used to DJ in front of big crowds for years and know that most people want to support a musician while they play not mock or jeer.........

Reaction score
I play guitar and bass well, mind you I should do coz I been at it for 30 + years.... lately I've been trying to improve my singing coz thats the weak point in my performances - I wanna busk more but I don't think instrumental guitar will be as impressive as vocals / guitar so as I say I gotta improve .... one thing is simply finding songs that suit your natural voice - for example Johnny Cash wasn't the greatest most versatile singer but was still a brilliant performer... I've been trying to convince my partner to sing while I play coz she sings well and has a really good ear for pitch, but she's not keen on having an audience in front of her... myself I have absolutely no 'performance anxiety' - I used to DJ in front of big crowds for years and know that most people want to support a musician while they play not mock or jeer.........
I feel that, I do sing but my road dog sings better. And one of my projects is me and her joining up with random traveling musicians making new songs, but a problem I run into is some kids have stage fright to a point they can't even perform in front of like 15 people and it's a challenge sometimes, you just have to convince them that they're good, and that people would love to hear them.

Cam3J

Reaction score
Folk. Story telling.
Mike Pinto is great story teller.
I like a lot of that old stuff from The White Stripes too. Albums like De Stijl or the self titled one. Good shit

roguetrader

Reaction score
@Cam3J - totally agree : the first three White Stripes albums are fantastic - such a shame they went downhill when they got famous, but that's the way of many a good band !

one of the songs I'm trying to master singing and playing is Death Letter Blues as covered by The White Stripes and written by Son House

Reactions: Cam3J

otch0z

Reaction score
I play the tin whistle (not a lot though, I should probably practice more), the uke, the musical saw and I sing (I'm actually taking opera singing lessons atm !)
I mostly play jazz and blues by myself, but my awesome band Les Insortables (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCI7EdyR0wps_154iVfGiJRA) plays a variety of stuff, which includes traditional south american songs, french variety and some more stuff in english. I don't want to sound like I'm bragging, but I'm having way too much fun with these gals not to say that we're awesome, go check us out !

Also @TheSlabsGengar , I'm curious, what the heck is jam music ? How do you describe it ? Is it a genre I'm unaware of ? oO

D

Deleted member 20683

Kind of a half assed musician but one of my oldest and most hopeless dreams is to be in a bicycle-touring folkpunk band.

My main instrument is accordion and main genre any kind of Jewish folk music, from Hasidic to Yiddish labor songs to Leonard Cohen... I like to say I can at least sort of play anything with strings, but mostly banjo, a lot of old timey and country...used to play a lot of guitar emo/hardcore type stuff; still play some indie and punk covers. Want to finally get decent at fiddle this year, maybe work on some Irish tunes...also want to get better on my electric keyboard and play in some kind of indie or metal band.

Reaction score
I play the tin whistle (not a lot though, I should probably practice more), the uke, the musical saw and I sing (I'm actually taking opera singing lessons atm !)
I mostly play jazz and blues by myself, but my awesome band Les Insortables (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCI7EdyR0wps_154iVfGiJRA) plays a variety of stuff, which includes traditional south american songs, french variety and some more stuff in english. I don't want to sound like I'm bragging, but I'm having way too much fun with these gals not to say that we're awesome, go check us out !

Also @TheSlabsGengar , I'm curious, what the heck is jam music ? How do you describe it ? Is it a genre I'm unaware of ? oO
Jam bands like stringed cheese incident or ween or the grateful dead. But not Phish, Phish sucks

Johny

Reaction score
@Cam3J - totally agree : the first three White Stripes albums are fantastic - such a shame they went downhill when they got famous, but that's the way of many a good band !

one of the songs I'm trying to master singing and playing is Death Letter Blues as covered by The White Stripes and written by Son House
Listen to the dead weather...

Johny

Reaction score
I listen to allot of death metal , tech death , thrash , grind core old School hardcore , classic rock , blues and jazz , and.old school country.
Been getting into more traditional things like blue Grass , and kinda a few folk punk bands .
Unlike most ppl here I just play bass and mainly prefer 5 string basses, thinking of getting a six, I can play guitar "good enough" to show someone kinda a ruff idea of what I'm thinking if I write song but by no means am I a great guitar player. IDK i got a drum set when I was 12 , then a bass , then a guitar , the bass just stuck.

CloudyESTL

Reaction score
Well I just got a banjo n have no clue but I'm going to figure it out..i fuckn hate that weird short string ..I just got out of prison and had saved sum state pays n found a banjo for 100 bebucks...i wanted the tenor 4 string but it was like 230...moneys sucks..mainly guitar tho...and drum machines n Gameboys..

D

Deleted member 20683

@CloudyESTL learn to frail(claw hammer) and you will love the short string. At least I do. It’s counter intuitive for a guitar player but once you get a feel for the style it’s so fun.

CloudyESTL

Reaction score
Thanx for the encouragement mentioned...it take a while to get a handle of it..I can finger pic guitar..but it' not the same....also the small string n the next one I keep knocking off the bridge....clumsy paws..

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads