what do you want done with your body when you die?

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Cut me open, plant a tree in my belly an bury me in the dirt so I can be reborn as a beautiful oak.

environmentally friendly, yet black metal at the same time. i like it.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Take my embers all my ashes...
Toss them in the forge
Press and hammer a dark diamond sword
Throw me past the moon and stars...
Far beyond the darkest sky.
A Never ending journey
Seen through reflections
In my metal memories from afar.
The Darkest Burning star.

;) first draft. never the final.

haha....

Odin... ::bookworm::

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaguwar

Wawa

Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
This thread makes me sad because traditional funerals strike me as terrible and I want nothing to do with one, but I don't think I know anyone who'd actually agree to steal my body and feed it to the scavengers :(

Hopefully I die somewhere no one can find me till I've done some decaying.

....I actually think about this often.

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Nomad Missionary & Tree Hugging Jesus Freak
Reaction score
I love cemeteries and spend a lot of time in them.

I love history and the older the cemetery the better. From the time I was 18 until just a few years ago and went through my "awakening" if you will, I had my gravestone and epitaph picked out.

Now, being as I have no family (I'm sure whenever hubs dies I'll lose contact with my step kids, despite the fact that I raised one of them from age, 2 1/2 - he's now, 24) I have no contact with my niece and nephews and am all but estranged from my brother, I'll leave instructions in my will that I'm to be cremated and my ashes planted at the base of a beautiful smelling, rose bush.

Reactions: Tude

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
@Andrea Van Scoyoc - I've traveled through several old cemeteries too - found a cool one in Pennsacola FL that was supposedly haunted - it looked like a mini NOLA cemetery ...

Reactions: Andrea Van Scoyoc

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Nomad Missionary & Tree Hugging Jesus Freak
Reaction score
@Tude ...if you're ever in the mind for a journey...PM me and I'll let you know about a sweeeet cemetery that is worth seeing. :)

I say, PM me, cause don't want to derail the thread. ;)

RobHASboots

Reaction score
not sure what the most appropriate place for this thread is, so here we go...

What do you want done with your body when you die?

I know that burying me whole, underground in a box, with embalming fluid is probably the worst option. It takes up space that could be good for walking, keeps my body around for longer than it needs to be, and the box creates unecessary waste. I would like to be consumed - whether it be by worms, coyotes, bears, fire, etc.

What about you?
meh... chop me up. feed me to the poor. or... the animal shelter.
but, seriously, once your dead, you've no longer use for the old vessel.
[organ donation, anyone?]

RobHASboots

Reaction score
When Hunter S. Thompson killed himself, his will explained his funeral arrangements. He was to be cremated, and then Bill Murray and Johnny Depp took his ashes up to a cliff and shot them out of a cannon somewhere in the Southwest. He always was ridiculous.

As for me, I would like to be cremated, and then have my ashes spread somewhere. No point in taking up land by being buried, and anyways, I don't think of the body as the person, rather just the shell and temple where we are temporarily housed. Sometimes imprisoned.
(grace, you deleted yourself) *this eccentric scene is featured in the documentary film 'gonzo' [Thompson had a funeral party, and his ashes were shot from a double-thumbed fist, multi-hundred ft-high cannon, to be spread over his property, somewhere in Colorado] -jesus, i forgot how crazy that is... niccce...

Magrom

Reaction score
Kingwood, TX (home)/Mississippi River (work)
I'm an organ donor so I want what's left and good to go to needs it most. Or to someone who doesn't so I can take over that persons body ala Body Parts.

In all seriousness I want my post donation body cremated and spread out in Oahu. That's where I was stationed and where my heart lies our side of wherever my family is.

Ridire

Reaction score
I want a pyre. No fuss, just burn me and be done with it. Or, if the people who survive me insist on a fuss, get a longship and throw all my junk on it and burn me on that.

D

Deleted member 13433

in the past, which I may or may not have posted in this thread under the user name Earth - I had hoped for perishing while underwater - as I am a free-diver, and my love of the life beneath the waters surface is so great, sometimes I forget I need to surface for air since I am a mammal.

Seriously - just yesterday - I witnessed a bait ball of bunker - 1000's of them, perhaps tens of thousands of bunker.... all in a big bait ball as I was diving in the area.

Then the bait ball turned into a cylinder as they swam around me, while I was submerged......

What an amazing experience !!
The sound - like chimes.... from their little fins...................... !!!

Later on, I dove again, and was amazed as the school of bunker mimicked my movements under water, I truly felt as I was a part of a religious experience !!

I caught myself forgetting about the whole need to breath process.......

I felt for a long time that that is the perfect way to go, to dive so deep that I could never physically surface again, then I had a sudden change of mind.

Now, I want to go way up north to retire and expire amongst the air, trees, water and animals....

This is still 10 to 15 years out.... but it is what I want to do.

I recently picked up me escape module - a 45 year old completely restored 17 ft canoe and a trailer.

Once the time comes - meaning once it is just me - I'm paying someone a ton of money to drive me and my trailer with the canoe and camping gear way way up north - and they will be sworn to secrecy, as my goal is to never see another human being again, as people disgust me.

I am hopeful that I will become part of the earth's food chain when the time comes.

some may say I am crazy, however I feel that those who buy into the supposed way of living and dying are the ones who are crazy.

at least this will be on my terms.

no.

mother earth's terms !!

totally works for me :)

and of-course, if this does not come to pass, I can always go with plan A as I am a Pisces, my last name is Waters, and my nickname is Otter :)

Last edited:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads