What do you feed your Pup on the road? | Squat the Planet

What do you feed your Pup on the road?

XanderMenanderer

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I am traveling with a American pitbull, named Kia. Shes 3 years old and extremely obedient. She listens to all me commands, in-fact she won't do anything without looking to me for the okay. Shes very nice and amazingly calm. I am currently feeding her a veggie diet, while using bacon and raw meat or fruits as treats. She loves carrots, bananas, oatmeal, with some celery and parsley well diced. Kia can still eat kibble dog food, though i try hard to steer away from expensive/processed food. This diet helps in many ways, it benefits her digestive tract and gives her the vitamins needed for a well rounded day of exercise. While giving us the ability to eat together as well as less weight in my pack, I'm nolonger carrying separate foods.

My question is: What do you or what have you fed your dog on the road?

Reactions: madcapcat

Fishkiss

Reaction score
i feed my dog alot of meat.i always keep some dog food in her pack tho.just to be safe.in fact when traveling i get so much dogfood kickdown that i usually turn it away.what i dislike and watch out for is other ppl trying to feed her without asking me.

XanderMenanderer

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Yeah I definitely am increasing raw meat into her diet. Though Lots of raw meat is actually not healthy for pups. If givin' in large amounts its extremely tough for a dogs digestive system to absorb the actual nutrients in the meat. Dogs in their natural environment; DO hunt/eat wild vegetables and fruits. Its a part of their daily diet for when they can't hunt and kill any prey. You'd be amazed at the amounts of veggies dogs Can eat. But nun the less Protein IS a must.

Shakou

Reaction score
Blue Buffalo. One of the best dog foods on the market. It's expensive, but way less expensive then all the health issues they could face later in life if dragged around for years on a shitty diet.

the wizard

Reaction score
go to the pet smart dumpster or sit outside somewhere and ask for dog food dummy. "oh, i feed my dog the finest veggies and meats" in my experience traveling with a dog the dog always had as much or more food than me. there are bookoos of dog lovers they will not let your pup go hungry.

travelin

Reaction score
agree on the blue food. its way good for doggies.

mine likes little carrot slivers and yes i checked, carrots good for doggies. she rejects chunks but will chomp down sliced slivers or thin chips.

mine simply LOVES the tiny teddy graham honey crackers, but she only gets about three a week. i try to keep most of the wheat products out of her diet.

if your are housed up a great home made food is hamburger mixed with cooked rice and eggs. go ahead and break up the eggshells into tiny pieces as the shells are good for her. mix it all up well. ratio i use is one pound hamburger to one cup cooked white rice and four eggs.

Reactions: p4r4d0x

TGandChunk

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Beef, brown rice (the "Uncle Ben's" microwaveable stuff works good), an egg, and maybe some carrots and peas. If we can't afford that, we usually go with Blue, and if we can't afford that, we go with something like "Purina One Beyond" or "Rachel Ray's Nutrish". Anything without by-products and digest, and of course without corn and such too. Our 60 lb pit loves any of that :)

Reactions: p4r4d0x

Zorila

Reaction score
Website
squattheplanet.com
Well, dogs can't really break down the carbohydrates found in veggies as well as humans... veggies are really good for the digestive system, and rich in vitamins... but you have to give her some easy to digest callories, meat and stuff... dogs don't need to eat as often as people, so if you could give your dog a good raw meat and fat meal a week, you're good to eat veggies together the rest of the time. :)

Reactions: Vonuist

Zorila

Reaction score
Website
squattheplanet.com
Well, dogs can't really break down the carbohydrates found in veggies as well as humans... veggies are really good for the digestive system, and rich in vitamins... but you have to give her some easy to digest callories, meat and stuff... dogs don't need to eat as often as people, so if you could give your dog a good raw meat and fat meal a week, you're good to eat veggies together the rest of the time. :)
PS, in romania, at supermarkets, you can find bones and pork skin and stuff, leftovers from butching, my dogs love that shit... dunno if you have that in the US

Vonuist

Reaction score
Website
trashwiki.org
Raw meat and bone forms the basis of my dog's diet, mainly chicken wings. He also gets organ meat (usually liver), vegetables once a week, dried meat, fish, whatever we can get.
I steer clear of the processed food, I won't feed that to a dog.

Shakou

Reaction score
Raw meat and bone forms the basis of my dog's diet, mainly chicken wings. He also gets organ meat (usually liver), vegetables once a week, dried meat, fish, whatever we can get.
I steer clear of the processed food, I won't feed that to a dog.

Be REAL careful feeding him chicken bones. Bird bones are a lot more brittle then pork and beef bones, and will splint easily. My mother in-law lost one of her dogs years ago by having him choke to death on a chicken bone after it splinted and got stuck in his throat...

Vonuist

Reaction score
Website
trashwiki.org
Be REAL careful feeding him chicken bones. Bird bones are a lot more brittle then pork and beef bones, and will splint easily. My mother in-law lost one of her dogs years ago by having him choke to death on a chicken bone after it splinted and got stuck in his throat...

Raw bones are fine, they just break. It's cooked bones that are the problem, cooked chicken bones are lethal and one of the reasons I hate going into cities with my dog, you end up staring at the ground all the time checking for bones and glass.

Shakou

Reaction score
Raw bones are fine, they just break. It's cooked bones that are the problem, cooked chicken bones are lethal and one of the reasons I hate going into cities with my dog, you end up staring at the ground all the time checking for bones and glass.

I missed the "raw" part, lol. Raw bones are a horse of a different color.

Reactions: Vonuist

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads