what bike / gear would you get if you had the extra cash? | Squat the Planet

what bike / gear would you get if you had the extra cash?

wildwerden

Reaction score
so i'm driving around the country with the jeep for a little bit then i plan to sell it (really don't want to deal with insurance / registration / gas / possibility of getting in an expensive accident / etc). i'm looking at hitch-biking and it sounds kinda awesome. i can ride out of a bad spot, take my time and really check out the landscape. plus it seems that more folks are open to stopping for a biker with a broken bike than a sketchy-looking hitch hiker.
i'd like a reliable, decent bike but not something too expensive / shiny. something that i wouldn't mind ditching along the way. did some reading around and antique, steel bikes seem to be the way to go. also anyone know of any good websites that i learn more about bikes and whatnot? i'm not handy with them yet. but yeah, what kinda bikes / brands / gear would you guys recommend?

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Here is one of the many bicycle forums I'm on - the Touring section - and pics of their bikes loaded up. Prices of course go all over the place, best place to look is craigslist. I go our for 3-5 day tours with front and back panniers - not packed real heavy though - I use a Trek roadbike with skinny tires on it. You would definitely need something like these people have here.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/69234-Pictures-of-your-loaded-rigs

And ya need to know how to fix the bike so you'll need tools and spare parts. Your local bike shops may have repair clinics - bike clubs as well (mine do).

Lots of online bicycle repair sites - I've had to use them more than once (have disk brakes on my mtb and they are in need of constant adjustment - pain in the butt, but they work very nice!).

https://www.google.com/search?q=bic...ome.0.57j0l2j62.6761&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• Useful
Reactions: wildwerden

wildwerden

Reaction score
i just remembered about my aunts old bike. it says its a gt outpost trail all terra but i cannot find the exact bike ANYWHERE on the internet and it's driving me crazy. internet says its a mountain bike? not so good for the road but then, this particular bike is nonexistent on the internet apparently. is it a decent bike?
Evernote Camera Roll 20130206 181152.jpg
thanks for all the tips and suggestions! will definitely be digging through that forum.

Wild Ty Laserbeam

Reaction score
GT is a good brand. It doesn't look like it's one of their top-of-the-line bikes, but they don't really make garbage. It'll definitely get you there if you fix it up right. Does it fit you? Use this:
http://simplybike.wordpress.com/2010/07/06/bike-101-finding-the-right-size-bike/picture-3-4/

Don't worry about it being a mountain bike. Most of my friends use old mountain bikes to build touring bikes.

Check around your/any area and see if there are any bike collectives. Bike collectives will usually teach you how to make and bike and help you build one to your specific wants in exchange for volunteer hours. They'll also help you get the one you have set up for distance tripping. Since you're out trampin' already, swing by knoxville and visit The Kick Stand. It's a real friendly place.

Reactions: wildwerden

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$20.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads