Well here I go then... | Squat the Planet

Well here I go then...

Fimdridil

Reaction score
Hi there stranger! How weird that you are viewing this through a screen somewhere far away from me.
Would you, as a stranger, be so kind to lend me some advice? I hope I don't sound too naive but atleast im honest hihi, here it goes:
I am 18 years old and I am planning to leave my home very soon. I want to go to spain and start busking there (I'm not that good at guitar, but I know a few songs and chords, I think it's enough to earn money for food). I have my gear ready since like.. 2 years ago. I will be sleeping in a tent or under my tarp in a bivi pack. I have also saved up some money on a GPS which will save me when my card reading skill fails me.
I have around $3000,- in my posession and plan on earning around 600 the coming month. After that, I'll leave.

Does anyone of you have experience in the Netherlands, Spain or generally Europe? I plan on doing the first part with a bike I have customized, but I will sell it somewhere om the road.

Any tips are welcome, if you want to travel together, I'll give you my number so we can call and hear voices instead of this weird typo shit which is great for messages, not for meeting people.

Sorry for the wall of text. I would love to hear from you.

Reactions: JackSquat

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I have around $3000 on me and plan on having around $600 more

if you want to travel together

I realize I've taken your words and paraphrased them but more or less my tip would be.. don't do this. We have a lot of really good folks here but guaranteed we have some insufferable dickbags too. They're probably not frequent posters but guaranteed like in any crowd there's a couple shady people lurking. It isn't wise to tell anyone how much money you have on you, especially strangers. Keep it simple- I have what I hope is enough to get by on and plan on busking to supplement. This says you're not completely fucked and that you have some means to support yourself as you travel without saying "Hey, let's meet up and you can jack me."

roguetrader

Reaction score
I'm in SW England and have spent lots of time in France / Spain / Holland / Portugal - if you have any specific questions I'll try and offer advice....

regarding busking in Spain I'd seriously look into the legality / practically of it - I think you need some kind of permit over there which is difficult to get - otherwise you get moved on by the police all the time.... if you search this site I've a feeling it's been discussed in other threads...

Reactions: Fimdridil

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i've heard spain is in super shutdown mode due to covid-19 due to the high amount of infections there, might be best to hold off on that one and visit some other countries.

Matthias

Reaction score
Spain is really easy to live for free (from what ive heard, and from experience). Food is everywhere if you don't mind a bit of digging. Busking will get you enough money for beer, but dont expect the 10+ euro/hour you get in other countries. Squatting is very popular in spain, find the right people;).
If I could give any advice on transportation around europe, it would be to ride passenger trains (everywhere except Germany, cops are meanies there). Really fast and generally less bullshit than hitching, especially during covid.
I don't have lots of experience around europe, but might be able to give some advice if you get in touch with me. I'm hoping to get back on the road soon if circumstances allow it :)

roguetrader

Reaction score
I think what the above poster means by 'ride passenger trains' is that you can often get away with having no valid ticket - the conductors only give you a piece of paying asking you to pay later - as a foreign national there is usually no comeback when you fail to do this...

Johnny Glue

Reaction score
I have also saved up some money on a GPS which will save me when my card reading skill fails me.
I would take a telephone with sufficient internet abroad instead of that, you will have it in no time. I am also a lot in Spain with a minimal budget so I can give you tips etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

KingViper

Reaction score
Hi there stranger! How weird that you are viewing this through a screen somewhere far away from me.
Would you, as a stranger, be so kind to lend me some advice? I hope I don't sound too naive but atleast im honest hihi, here it goes:
I am 18 years old and I am planning to leave my home very soon. I want to go to spain and start busking there (I'm not that good at guitar, but I know a few songs and chords, I think it's enough to earn money for food). I have my gear ready since like.. 2 years ago. I will be sleeping in a tent or under my tarp in a bivi pack. I have also saved up some money on a GPS which will save me when my card reading skill fails me.
I have around $3000,- in my posession and plan on earning around 600 the coming month. After that, I'll leave.

Does anyone of you have experience in the Netherlands, Spain or generally Europe? I plan on doing the first part with a bike I have customized, but I will sell it somewhere om the road.

Any tips are welcome, if you want to travel together, I'll give you my number so we can call and hear voices instead of this weird typo shit which is great for messages, not for meeting people.

Sorry for the wall of text. I would love to hear from you.
thats cool and wish you goodluck i have no balls to do that and my parents will never let me lol.I think 2020 is a bad year tho there might be another lockdown i mean they wanna cancel christmasss what?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads