Walking the Florida coastline | Squat the Planet

Walking the Florida coastline

Memphis

Reaction score
Well, we came back to Florida to try to save some money and rest awhile, but homelife is driving us crazy. We are planning on selling everything, breaking our lease and just walking up there East Coast.

Anybody have any experience just hugging the shoreline as far North as possible? I don’t foresee any major holdups or detours that we would have to take if we literally stay on the beach...

Just wanted to throw our plans out there and see if you guys have any thoughts..

• Haha
Reactions: croc

AAAutin

Reaction score
Doing something similar now. (Almost to Delaware.)

Your plan is going to hit a snag once you hit the James River in Virginia—the easternmost pedestrian crossing is the Jamestown Ferry, so if you want to stick to the shore, you'll have to hitch/bus across. (I opted to head inland toward Richmond.)

Last edited:
Reactions: croc

Memphis

Reaction score
Doing something similar now. (Almost to Delaware.)

Your plan is going to hit a snag once you hit the James River in Virginia—the easternmost pedestrian crossing is the Jamestown Ferry, so if you want to stick to the shore, you'll have to hitch/bus across. (I opted to head inland toward Richmond.)
Thanks, yeah that’s a long way off. I was concerned about private beaches, but there are a bunch of those where we are and we nevertheless get hassled hanging out there.

Did you start in Florida? I feel like the shorline would be pretty easy and safe going.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i feel like you would constantly be running into other people's private property and have to detour quite a bit?

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i just don't think the beaches go as far as you think. but, i'm not trying to tell you it can't be done, go and try it! come back here and post a story about it with some pics if you can and let us know how it went. im sure there are others here that would be interested in knowing more about this as well.

• Love It
Reactions: JackSquat
D

Deleted member 125

I know there aren’t fence lines that extend to the ocean, so we most likely wouldn’t be physically barred from walking..

yer right about peoples fence/property lines not extending onto the actual beach at least as far as i know. have you done much walking on the beach? its a fucking drag, sands not the most forgiving surface to walk on. walking at night sounds like a good idea because its god awful hot in florida right now but at night on the beach yer gonna be SWARMED by bugs. ive also heard of people being ticketed for simply being on the beach after dark. its even posted on alot of beaches at least around where i am right now.

ironman

Reaction score
Thanks, yeah that’s a long way off. I was concerned about private beaches, but there are a bunch of those where we are and we nevertheless get hassled hanging out there.

Did you start in Florida? I feel like the shorline would be pretty easy and safe going.
What town you starting in

AAAutin

Reaction score
Did you start in Florida?

I came through the panhandle, so I can't really help with the Florida coast—which I now realize was the whole aim of your post, ha ha. Sorry.

But I do dig your plan: there's nothing quite like strolling along a moonlit beach! I walked from Santa Monica to San Diego and only had to head inland twice: cutting through Torrance from Redondo to Long Beach and then hitching from San Clemente to Oceanside in order to bypass Camp Pendleton. (Different coast entirely, but hey, I hope it serves as encouragement!)

Last edited:
Reactions: JackSquat

Memphis

Reaction score
I came through the panhandle, so I can't really help with the Florida coast—which I now realize was the whole aim of your post, ha ha. Sorry.

But I do dig your plan: there's nothing quite like strolling along a moonlit beach! I walked from Santa Monica to San Diego and only had to head inland twice: cutting through Torrance from Redondo to Long Beach and then hitching from San Clemente to Oceanside in order to bypass Camp Pendleton. (Different coast entirely, but hey, I hope it serves as encouragement!)
Thanks yeah, we are weighing options right now. Have two older dogs in tow, so we have to be cognizant of that. We may wait til fall to Mack it more comfortable for them. Will keep posted.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads