Walking from SF to Big Sur

yarn and glue

Reaction score
Website
couragequail.bandcamp.com
Hi all,
I've been hopping freight, hitching, working on farms and playing music in a loop around the country for the past year, and now I'm staying with friends back where I started -- San Francisco.

On March 31st there's a Bonnie 'Prince' Billy show in Big Sur that I've got myself a ticket for. Will Oldham's been a big part of the last year for me so this is sort of a pilgrimage.

So why not walk?

I've decided to leave on Tuesday (10th) or Wednesday (11th) of next week (after my food stamps kick me down some Ramen and peanut butter!). I'll be walking the California Coastal Trail -- between 150 and 200 miles -- down to Los Osos where the show is being held. I figure it'll take me well under two weeks if I average 10-15 miles a day (easy: backpacking I used to push 20), and I'm allowing myself three weeks so I can hang out in Santa Cruz for a minute. The CCT mostly follows the coastline, much like Highway 1, with a few rough spots that require walking on 1's shoulder for a few miles.

Despite the rain, I'm super excited for another adventure -- I haven't been back in the city for long at all but it's already wearing on me.

Does anyone feel up to joining me for all or part of this epic stroll in the woods? I'll be doing it either way but it would be great to have some positive company!

p.

Reactions: Mankini

compass

Lost
Reaction score
Los Osos is a good ways south of Big Sur, but if you're walking from SF, that isn't too big of a deal I guess. Of all the places for a show, Los Osos? There really isn't much out there. Is it at Sweet Springs Saloon? I'm down to meet up if I'm still around. I literally just got back into the area, but don't think I'll be staying long, though I might camp out at Montana de Oro for a while, which is where Los Osos ends at the ocean.

yarn and glue

Reaction score
Website
couragequail.bandcamp.com
Yeah, there isn't a whole lot in Los Osos, but in this case that's half the point -- Will Oldham usually goes out of his way to play a smaller, more intimate show in between the big city dates. Last year it was at the Henry Miller Memorial Library in Big Sur -- great venue! -- and this year it is at the South Bay Community Center. Then Port O'Brien is playing at the Sweet Springs Saloon for the "afterparty" for five bucks. I'm pretty excited.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads