van island | Squat the Planet

van island

incognita

Reaction score
Hi every body! Not really looking for a road dog but definitely looking to meet up. Just moved to the island (moved in with my bf) and loving the lifestyle! I've picked up a dozen hitch hikers in the last couple of months (kinda makes me miss it! ) brought a kid home last night and feed him supper before taking him out to a better spot to catch a ride.
My bf has shown me how to gather oysters, mussels and clams (so effin yummy!) And there's mushroom picking on the island. I just feel like this place can't get any better. Anyway, if there's anyone around me I'd be happy to show them how to get an easy free meal from the beach and how to cook it on a fire.
Happy travelling!

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
That's awesome of you!! I love shellfish - and oysters OH MY!!! I was going to just suggest you register in the Krust Surfing area with this exact info and thought - meh - I'm just going to move this to Krusy Surfing. That is just awesome that you can gather that yummy free meal and just cook it there..... I envy the people that are able to go through there. Thank you. :)

kaichulita

soul rebel
Reaction score
I love oysters!!! If I'm ever around I will definitely take up your offer :) thank you for helping out travelers!

Reactions: incognita

Tude

Reaction score
I love oysters!!! If I'm ever around I will definitely take up your offer :) thank you for helping out travelers!

Now I want some oysters - I used to live down the street from a small fish place and I was able to go in there and buy 2 or 4 of them - nothing big but it satisfied the want.... Used to have another larger fish place that I could walk to and get some fresh fish - :( they retired. I'm stuck with big box grocery stores and their prices or having to travel out to the burbs and that is not feasible. Man it would be nice to go "catch" yer own. Yep - I envy the travelers who get through there :)

kaichulita

soul rebel
Reaction score
Now I want some oysters - I used to live down the street from a small fish place and I was able to go in there and buy 2 or 4 of them - nothing big but it satisfied the want.... Used to have another larger fish place that I could walk to and get some fresh fish - :( they retired. I'm stuck with big box grocery stores and their prices or having to travel out to the burbs and that is not feasible. Man it would be nice to go "catch" yer own. Yep - I envy the travelers who get through there :)
Oh man, I guess I'm lucky down in South Florida. They serve oysters at a lot of restaurants/bars I've been to. Come to Florida @Tude!!

Kal

Reaction score
You all posting about food made me hungry.:D

incognita

Reaction score
I don't actually have a couch to offer though... that's ehy I posted in the meet up forum?

P.S. you can easily collect as many mussels and oysters ans you could possibly eat in minutes here! Fucking love this place!

kaichulita

soul rebel
Reaction score
I don't actually have a couch to offer though... that's ehy I posted in the meet up forum?

P.S. you can easily collect as many mussels and oysters ans you could possibly eat in minutes here! Fucking love this place!

Hahah, I'll move it back to the meet up forum for ya

incognita

Reaction score
Thank you. Wish I could but my bf works in camp for 3 weeks out of the month and he would kill me if I let a stranger crash here, let alone a hitch hiker. He always grumbles whenever I stop or whenever I make him stop for someone :(
he doesn't understand what a big part of my life being a crusty traveller was.

Tude

Reaction score
ahh - ok I understand. How about I move the thread to the Regions area and not offer couch - but rather info and some help if needed. I'm liking that one. Yeah and it took a bit for my bf to understand about couch surfers with just me and 3 cats here. But what it is too is that I do try to talk to people for a bit first too. I have not had any problems and have also met some pretty dam cool people too. I will change you out. :) New at this and understanding the behind the scenes.

AND I CANNOT IMAGINE all the mussels and oysters you want!!! Reminds me of a party in the 90's - some friends went to Maine and brought back fresh lobsters packed in seaweed in a cooler. I have never gotten full off of lobster enough to say - "another one? Oh no I cannot - I'm full ..." haha - that will most likely never happen again :D

Last edited:

kerouac

Reaction score
i've always had a good time travelling on the island in the summer, but how common is it to see travellers there in the winter?
i've always thought that with some decent rain gear it could be possible to travel/camp there year-round. i know it does get pretty cold, but not quite cold enough to kill you right?
i'm tired of these brutal east coast winters and very tempted to go check out the island in february or march.
if anyone has experience doing this (and tips for cool towns, good places to camp, etc) i'd love to hear about it....

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads