Uninhabited Patience Island

Hillbilly Castro

Reaction score
From a Yelp review, not my writing:

An island
where
patience
is a virtue

Patience Island is a small, very uninhabited island of a little over 200 acres. I say very uninhabited because nobody goes here. It's only about 500 or so feet away from the north part of Prudence Island and although people will land boats on Prudence on occasion, I've never seen anyone on Patience.

At one time Patience Island used to have a year found population, working farms and various buildings. The British burned the whole island back in the Revolution and various hurricanes periodically wiped it out and now it's totally over grown with vegetation. Deer, rabbits, ticks and gigantic flies, but no people. Not even a path to get to the interior of the island so you really have to wait to fall or winter if you want to do some serious exploring. If you look closely you will see remains and ruins of buildings but most of of the signs of civilization are once again swallowed up by nature. I don't know of any serious archaeological digs that have ever been done on the island, but I imagine it is ripe with artifacts and history.

The best way to get to Patience by kayak is to leave from Oakland Beach, go around the lighthouse at Warwick Point and then east across Narragansett Bay. Only about 4 miles or so and you even get to see a cool lighthouse. I guarantee the island will be all yours when you arrive. A cool place to explore and poke around, how often can you say you have a entire island to yourself.

• 348s.jpg
  • o.jpg

• o.jpg

• o.jpg
https://www.yelp.com/biz/patience-island-bristol

Is this the new StP east coast headquarters?

Irate Pirate

Reaction score
Oh shit that's cool! I live in the area & I've heard of this island but didn't know it was deserted...which is weird because there's another island just east of there called Hog Island that looks to be about the same size but it has a bunch of people living on it. I'll have to check this place out when the weather gets a little nicer and maybe stay overnight. It looks like there's at least one small structure with a roof on it on google earth but who the hell knows what that is. Thanks for posting this!

Reactions: Hillbilly Castro
D

Deleted member 125

for having zero people there that lighthouse and building next to it sure look pretty damn well taken care of. also it may be just the images but that grass looks cut and those bushes seem to be trimmed also, looks like at least somebody sometime goes there to keep the place looking nice for whatever reason. looks rad though!

rusty

Reaction score
I've sailed there a couple times, some boats frequent the shores in the summer. haven't noticed any activity besides that... inspired to scout the island a lil more now that you mention it. also, its likely easier to take the ferry to prudence and get to patience from there. haven't tried it but its worth looking into.

Last edited:
Reactions: Testicool

Irate Pirate

Reaction score
I've sailed there a couple times, some boats frequent the shores in the summer. haven't noticed any activity besides that... inspired to scout the island a lil more now that you mention it. also, its likely easier to take the ferry to prudence and get to patience from there. haven't tried it but its worth looking into.

@rusty
That's cool you've been there/around there before. I looked up Prudence Island & watched a few videos on YT and I was thinking the same thing too. You can take a ferry from Portsmouth apparently so I was just going to load up a truck with some kayaks & people, get on the ferry and just kayak over from Prudence Island since it's a lot closer than Oakland beach. Plus if I/we end up staying the night out there there's no fucking way I'm leaving my car all the way over in Warwick over night to get towed or worse.

Hillbilly Castro

Reaction score
Oh shit that's cool! I live in the area & I've heard of this island but didn't know it was deserted...which is weird because there's another island just east of there called Hog Island that looks to be about the same size but it has a bunch of people living on it. I'll have to check this place out when the weather gets a little nicer and maybe stay overnight. It looks like there's at least one small structure with a roof on it on google earth but who the hell knows what that is. Thanks for posting this!

dope I'm headed to RI with my girl for Easter, maybe we redenzvous?? would love to go via Prudence if we get a decent weather day

Irate Pirate

Reaction score
dope I'm headed to RI with my girl for Easter, maybe we redenzvous?? would love to go via Prudence if we get a decent weather day

Oh hell the fuck yeah! That'd be awesome! I already started making plans with my friend to go and I say the more the merrier. Anyone else in the area who also wants to join us come on down! We haven't picked a set day or anything yet. She said she'd been to Prudence Island before but it was a long time ago. She also said something about Patience Island maybe being protected (which makes sense seeing as it's been deserted for a long ass time) so camping there overnight is probably not a good idea but who knows. We'll figure something out. We were planning on kayaking around there too so if y'all are driving & have some kayaks then bring 'em but if you're traveling "other ways" then I can probably scare some up for ya. 

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Oh damn... This is great to know... I want to live in that lighthouse. Keeping an eye on this thread for future.

Hillbilly Castro

Reaction score
Oh hell the fuck yeah! That'd be awesome! I already started making plans with my friend to go and I say the more the merrier. Anyone else in the area who also wants to join us come on down! We haven't picked a set day or anything yet. She said she'd been to Prudence Island before but it was a long time ago. She also said something about Patience Island maybe being protected (which makes sense seeing as it's been deserted for a long ass time) so camping there overnight is probably not a good idea but who knows. We'll figure something out. We were planning on kayaking around there too so if y'all are driving & have some kayaks then bring 'em but if you're traveling "other ways" then I can probably scare some up for ya. 

fuck yeah dude will keep ya in the loop as we head down that way! sounds like a kickass day. I bet we could camp, too, if no one goes there. If there was some kind of steward there that'd be another thing.. we'll scope it

rusty

Reaction score
after a little asking around, i heard patience is a bird sanctuary or more so an "important bird area". heres a link with more info about patience and prudence; http://www.audubon.org/important-bird-areas/prudence-patience-islands
and a map
http://web4.audubon.org/bird/iba/maps/RI/RI3473m_PrudencePatience.pdf
in the meantime i'm planning to check out a couple islands, hope and despair.(also a protected area https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narragansett_Bay_National_Estuarine_Research_Reserve) but close by, anyone been? it being so close to quonset airport is :/ but there seems to be a cove on the southern tip near jamestown.

hope and despair
it just resonates

Last edited:
Reactions: todd

rusty

Reaction score
@rusty
That's cool you've been there/around there before. I looked up Prudence Island & watched a few videos on YT and I was thinking the same thing too. You can take a ferry from Portsmouth apparently so I was just going to load up a truck with some kayaks & people, get on the ferry and just kayak over from Prudence Island since it's a lot closer than Oakland beach. Plus if I/we end up staying the night out there there's no fucking way I'm leaving my car all the way over in Warwick over night to get towed or worse.
im ridin down to richmond for a couple weeks, but im def down to plan an island venture with whoevers down. anytime in may should be good for me. i have access to a lil dighy and a canoe but dont personally own anything

Irate Pirate

Reaction score
fuck yeah dude will keep ya in the loop as we head down that way! sounds like a kickass day. I bet we could camp, too, if no one goes there. If there was some kind of steward there that'd be another thing.. we'll scope it

Awesome! Yeah man, keep me posted. I'll send you my number in a direct message that way y'all can just call or text me when you're around here and whatnot. I'm kind of apprehensive about camping there since it's some kind of protected wildlife area or whatever but if we can't camp on Prudence Island we can camp somewhere around there on the mainland...or wherever, I personally don't give a shit where. I just want to make a fire and sleep outside somewhere.

Irate Pirate

Reaction score
after a little asking around, i heard patience is a bird sanctuary or more so an "important bird area". heres a link with more info about patience and prudence; http://www.audubon.org/important-bird-areas/prudence-patience-islands
and a map
http://web4.audubon.org/bird/iba/maps/RI/RI3473m_PrudencePatience.pdf
in the meantime i'm planning to check out a couple islands, hope and despair.(also a protected area https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narragansett_Bay_National_Estuarine_Research_Reserve) but close by, anyone been? it being so close to quonset airport is :/ but there seems to be a cove on the southern tip near jamestown.

hope and despair
it just resonates

Hope and Despair? Whoa. That's awesome. I want to go to there. Thanks for posting this Audubon society stuff. I'd heard it was a protected area or something like that but I wasn't sure. I'll still probably go walk around on the beach and check the place out a bit but i'm not going to camp out there and fuck shit up for all the lil bird pals.

im ridin down to richmond for a couple weeks, but im def down to plan an island venture with whoevers down. anytime in may should be good for me. i have access to a lil dighy and a canoe but dont personally own anything

Cool, yeah hit me up whenever you're back around here. I'm always down for kayaking/canoeing/boating/fun and the later in the spring/summer the better, really (aka the warmer the water the better). I have access to a couple of kayaks (one of which can hold two people) and my friend Sam has a kayak and she's always down for fun shit too. Have fun in Richmond (I'm guessing Virginia and not the southern RI town). It's probably too cold for Hadad's but if not & you've never been check it out. It rules.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads