Underestimated!

D

Deleted member 14481

Things I didn't know I needed until I traveled:
A hat
Something waterproof to cover myself and my pack
Hiking boots (wanted lightweight, waterproof)
Walking stick (I did a lot of walking in GA)

I traveled through of of the southeast, where it can be sunny and day and pouring down rain all day - the next.
For as much as I walk, I really needed the walking stick and comfortable, durable hiking boots.

Is there any piece of gear that you needed overall or in a certain area of traveling that you greatly underestimated?

BelleBottoms

Reaction score
I frequently underestimate my need for sunscreen. And overestimate the toughness of my feet.
The thing that always sneaks up on me is poor air quality. I never think about it being an issue beforehand. Windy conditions in arid areas or during heavy spring pollon days always have me wondering where my mask is. I also dig it out when fire season hits. Several seasons in Idaho have taught me better than to think "the smoke's not that bad".

D

Deleted member 14481

I frequently underestimate my need for sunscreen. And overestimate the toughness of my feet.
The thing that always sneaks up on me is poor air quality. I never think about it being an issue beforehand. Windy conditions in arid areas or during heavy spring pollon days always have me wondering where my mask is. I also dig it out when fire season hits. Several seasons in Idaho have taught me better than to think "the smoke's not that bad".

I didn't even think about sunscreen. Sometimes, I know I'm missing it. That's real! And, a mask. I haven't been to the dessert in a long time, tho.

Socks. Water. Waterproof stuff.

In what way did you underdog the socks? Not have enough? Keeping them clean? The diversity of use? I would like myself get dehydrated on my first around of travels, because I was trying too much and stressing myself out. I would like to think I was better about that on this past round. I very much missed out on the waterproof game! I really missed that going thur the southeast!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads