Uluru | Squat the Planet

Uluru

Benji91

Gone Walkabout
Reaction score
Website
www.instragram.com
Spent a bit of time in the NT recently, couldn't believe how many people were flocking to climb Uluru before the ban comes in this October. It's not my place to share the intricacies of why (aside from it being terrible for the environment, eroding the rock and the fact it's fucking tough climbing and you may die), but if you're out that way visit the Uluru Kata Tjuta Culture Centre and see the history and learn the ways of the Anagu People.

Just my two cents, the centre is amazing but people are dicks. Respect the land you're on and do a bit of reading.

Peace.

Attachments

• IMG_20190813_211405.jpg
    IMG_20190813_211405.jpg
    698.3 KB · Views: 320

Barf

Staff member
Reaction score
Where is that located?

It kinda reminds me a little of Devil's Tower in WY, except people can still climb that.

I dig great big natural formations like that. The energy they put off, man, it's something else.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Juan Derlust

Benji91

Gone Walkabout
Reaction score
Website
www.instragram.com
Where is that located?

It kinda reminds me a little of Devil's tower in WY, except people can still climb that.

I dig great big natural formations like that. The energy they put off, man, it's something else.

Yulara, NT, Australia

A lot of Aussies are butthurt because of the upcoming ban (that's been on the cards for years). One of the largest monoliths in the world, close to the centre of the country. The Aboriginal culture and history surrounding it makes for some great reading.

roughdraft

Reaction score
Yeah, that's cool there is an actual ban happening. I mean, I'm hardly the biggest "environmentalist" but most of yall need to leave the fuckin giant rock be, people.

this girl from Perth told me before whitie came, there were...i dunno 1000 nations on what is now called Australia.. and they worshipped Uluru like a sort of holy deity that watched over all the nations on the island...and of course it was unheard of to climb on it (?)

Cliffnotes my aussie fren?

Benji91

Gone Walkabout
Reaction score
Website
www.instragram.com
Yeah, that's cool there is an actual ban happening. I mean, I'm hardly the biggest "environmentalist" but most of yall need to leave the fuckin giant rock be, people.

this girl from Perth told me before whitie came, there were...i dunno 1000 nations on what is now called Australia.. and they worshipped Uluru like a sort of holy deity that watched over all the nations on the island...and of course it was unheard of to climb on it (?)

Cliffnotes my aussie fren?

Eh, haven't heard much about it being worshipped. But every nation is different, it's seen differently to different groups. Whitey just tend to pass on easy stereotypes and tall stories. As for the custodians, it's key to Tjukurpa (their philosophy) which, from my learnings, encompasses the balance of land, people, animals and ancestors...however, I may be off the mark there as I've been researching a lot of different Aboriginal history recently. There are stories passed down about climbing, but they aren't my stories to tell...but the respect for the land was always paramount.

And yeah, there were a hell of a lot of ingenious nations prior to the English came here. Sadly, a lot of these didn't survive settlement. Through genocide, the stolen generation and countless other atrocities (felt I'll reading about the Myall Creek Massacre which occurred in the early 19th century) some remarkable cultures have been lost all over the country.

I'm rambling, don't mind me. Ha.

Attachments

• images (1).jpeg
    images (1).jpeg
    27.6 KB · Views: 306

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
that's interesting, australia is high on my list of places i want to see, and uluru is definitely a place i want to see. didn't know about the upcoming ban though. that's fine for me tho, i'll be just as happy to see it at ground level as i would have on top.

Benji91

Gone Walkabout
Reaction score
Website
www.instragram.com
that's interesting, australia is high on my list of places i want to see, and uluru is definitely a place i want to see. didn't know about the upcoming ban though. that's fine for me tho, i'll be just as happy to see it at ground level as i would have on top.

Get in touch if you do start planning a trip down here mate, happy to help out where I can.

The base/ground walk around Uluru is bloody fantastic. So much information, history and beautiful. I've spoken to people who have climbed it who had no idea of the cave paintings and waterholes (when we not in drought at least) around the bottom. It's more than the walk in the sand people think it is.

WyldLyfe

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Ay man cool. Could have gone there about two months back but had to do other stuff. Its good that you respect the land Benji.

Benji91

Gone Walkabout
Reaction score
Website
www.instragram.com
Yo, the climbing ban has been in place for over a month now. Hoards of bogan wankers flocked to the rock during the last days to stroke their egos and "tick the climb of the bucket list" but it's closed which is brilliant!

After the rangers did a final sweep to make sure no one was left the awful metal chains were removed and a little more peace was brought to the land.

If any of you are at all interested in the history and Aboriginal culture surrounding all of this I'd suggest reading up on the Anangu people and Tjukurpa (which forms the basis of their social and belief structures - of anyone knows different or has a better authority to speak on this please correct me).

This cartoon have me goosebumps
FB_IMG_1575425156901.jpg

• Love It
Reactions: Juan Derlust

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads