U.K. Travel

Stinkyyy

Reaction score
I know this is a really old post, but thought I might as well add a post anyway! I didnt realise there were so many people from the UK on here.

I'm in pretty much same situation as you Ash, really want to get out and travel, but no experience and not enough guts to just go and do it!

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I know this is a really old post, but thought I might as well add a post anyway! I didnt realise there were so many people from the UK on here.

I'm in pretty much same situation as you Ash, really want to get out and travel, but no experience and not enough guts to just go and do it!

have you traveled around the UK at all?

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
also, nice avatar pic :p

Smell The Magic

Reaction score
I've travelled the UK a lot, what is that you want advice on?

I really want to travel through Europe but have no idea how to get started and at the moment i've got nobody to travel with.

Hopefully if i ever rase enough funds head back to the states! I was there for three months when i was 18 but ended up coming home when my dad was in a bike accident and i've never raised enough to get back.

Stinkyyy

Reaction score
I've travelled the UK a lot, what is that you want advice on?

I really want to travel through Europe but have no idea how to get started and at the moment i've got nobody to travel with.

Hopefully if i ever rase enough funds head back to the states! I was there for three months when i was 18 but ended up coming home when my dad was in a bike accident and i've never raised enough to get back.

Thats what I want to do. Well, mostly the states. Ive never been, but have always wanted to go to New York (among other places..)

Stinkyyy

Reaction score
Nowhere near London, sadly!
Yeah, Wwoofing looks like a great idea, ive been reading up on it a while! i think its just a problem of just finding the right time to say 'fuck it' and go. I'm pretty good at taking care of myself alone, however travelling alone is definately not on my cards so finding a friend who wants to go as well is proving difficult!
So many people complain about wanting to leave where they are and when they get a chance they never take it!

RockerBilly

Reaction score
It seems us English people love to complain about where we live and never leave or do anything about it. I was getting fucking sick of London so I hit the road 2 months ago and things have just kept getting better. Travelled all over Europe for free but it was really fuckin hard as you cant really hop trains here (except for France), and also because it was me and another guy. But for a guy and a girl, it's sooo easy here in Europe.

If either of you do want someone to travel with, I'm ur man. I have tramp'd it in the USA for several years and I've just done Southern Europe too. Was hoping to get up to Scandinavia where I have family and friends. Also potential to make a bit of money there.

I just got back to London and plan to leave asap. Would be nice to have a new road dawg.

Ash Ludd

Reaction score
I'm kinda tied to the UK at the moment because I have gigs coming up at the end of the month and stuff but always up for going on week-long trips about the UK if any of you want a partner! I went on a 2 week busking tour with my friend a few weeks back and it was awesome, we always busked up enough to eat and have a few drinks :) definitely be up for doing something similar again! In fact I really want to do the same again but this time hitching, last time we booked cheap trains and buses in advance so it was all planned, I'd like to do it more spontaneously and just see where the road takes us. I defo want someone to do it with and not do it alone though! need to hurry up though because it's going to be getting cold again soon maybe and won't be able to sleep rough unless we wanna freeze our asses off. We could always do what we did on my last busking tour though and go to open mic nights in the evening and play a few songs and let people know we're in need of somewhere to sleep. It worked both times we needed to do it! (all other nights we had arranged to sleep with friends).

I have a feeling this message was very disjointed and may not have made much sense... sorry if that's the case... i hope not.

love from Ash Victim <3 xoxo

P.S. If anyone else has any badass travel ideas I'm well up for hearing them and maybe carrying them out :D

Stinkyyy

Reaction score
That sounds awesome (both of you)
I'm still unsure of whether i'm going onto further study in september, though it seems likely at least for a year. However i'll be in Bristol by then which is a pretty great place to be around anyway. I'd be more than up for some short UK travels. In fact, that seems like a good thing for me to do, having no previous travelling experience. Keep it short n sweet and not too far from home if things do turn out wrong (which I doubt)

Ash Ludd

Reaction score
I'm currently based in Basingstoke, living with my dad and he goes to Bristol pretty much every weekend so I can get a lift there off him most weekends if there's ever anything decent going on there or you wanna meet up.

Stinkyyy

Reaction score
I'm currently based in Basingstoke, living with my dad and he goes to Bristol pretty much every weekend so I can get a lift there off him most weekends if there's ever anything decent going on there or you wanna meet up.
Don't know whether its your kind of music , but SFH are playing Thursday 23rd this month. I should be there if all goes to plan.. If not , yeah, ill be in Brsitol permanently from September and am more than up for meeting some new people while im up there! Gonna be lonely as fuck for the first few weeks haha.
There's always something good on in bristol.

RockerBilly

Reaction score
Thats cool yeah Bristol is rad I got a lot of friends up there.

Ash Victim that sounds so cool, your busking adventure idea sounds great and I would love to be your partner on that but I think the horrible truth is that you need a female partner. 2 boys hitching in England fucking sucks. Me and my friend had to wait about 6 hours one time to get out of London, while I've never heard of a male-female duo having to wait more than 30 mins.

Although I warn you guys, the nature of hobo life is free and sporadic, especially when you cant hop trains. So hitch hiking while trying to keep to a tight schedule can prove impossible.

Also I think you can do it in the UK in Winter. It never really gets that cold here. I did it in Oregon which is even colder and wetter than England. It's all about having good tarps and knowing how to stay dry

Stinkyyy

Reaction score
Thats cool yeah Bristol is rad I got a lot of friends up there.

Ash Victim that sounds so cool, your busking adventure idea sounds great and I would love to be your partner on that but I think the horrible truth is that you need a female partner. 2 boys hitching in England fucking sucks. Me and my friend had to wait about 6 hours one time to get out of London, while I've never heard of a male-female duo having to wait more than 30 mins.

Although I warn you guys, the nature of hobo life is free and sporadic, especially when you cant hop trains. So hitch hiking while trying to keep to a tight schedule can prove impossible.

Also I think you can do it in the UK in Winter. It never really gets that cold here. I did it in Oregon which is even colder and wetter than England. It's all about having good tarps and knowing how to stay dry

Luckily I could be the much needed female addition to a group - although i'd fucking hate to travel with other girls. Obviously there are exceptions but I really dont click with them. Im moving into housing with 3 girls later this month and shit im dreading it.

landpirate

campervan untilising nomadic traveller
Reaction score
I've spent a winter on the streets/in the woods in the UK. it's not so bad. It's the rain that gets to you more than the cold. Stay down south it's warmer. I'm sure I have better advice to give but i'm typing this on one of those silly smart phones and I can't get the hang. when I get to a computer I'll tell you something life changing, I promise!

Stinkyyy

Reaction score
I've spent a winter on the streets/in the woods in the UK. it's not so bad. It's the rain that gets to you more than the cold. Stay down south it's warmer. I'm sure I have better advice to give but i'm typing this on one of those silly smart phones and I can't get the hang. when I get to a computer I'll tell you something life changing, I promise!

I dont find street/woodland sleeping in the UK a problem at all, its more the lack of companionship that gets me. I could easily rough it with a decent mate to talk to but the second you're alone its just watching the fucking clock tick. At least thats me anyway. I like company!

But yeah, even in the middle of winter its nothing a decent sleeping bag and tent won't take care of. I'd rather be cold with a sleeping bag than sweating in a tent in the middle of summer...

Ash Ludd

Reaction score
Don't know whether its your kind of music , but SFH are playing Thursday 23rd this month. I should be there if all goes to plan.. If not , yeah, ill be in Brsitol permanently from September and am more than up for meeting some new people while im up there! Gonna be lonely as fuck for the first few weeks haha.
There's always something good on in bristol.

Yeah SFH are totally my sort of music, I played a show with them here in Basingstoke the other week haha. I have a gig in Reading on the 23rd though so won't be able to go to that one.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads