Tucson, AZ to live?

D

Deleted member 14481

Hey community,

I'm considering moving from Minneapolis to Tucson, either at the end of this year or sometime next year. Does anyone have any wisdom on the area, that will help me survive for a long term stay? Community activity, punks and hippies, food shelves, connections, etc. I know the gem show goes on there and a lot of people from all over attend! I'm hoping Tucson has a large hippie and punk community. I'v already been told about their issues with snowbirds. If I move down there, I'm going to try to stay at least year - if I can stand the heat.

peacefulmonokai

Reaction score
You'll find plenty to do around the university area. Snowbirds do fly in during winter. It can get chilly during the winter not quite as hot as phoenix, but still hot. Think they put in a trolley near university. Bus system good to go - mostly on time, uncrowded and clean. Lots of parks. There's big dry river bed by 1st ave and northern good for camping. Be careful during monsoon season. The river bed is dry, but can fill quickly with 10 ft of fast moving water. Monsoon starts late August. In fact try to get indoors if u can during monsoon because they can get really nasty, sideways rain, high winds. No joke.

Reactions: Dmac

Satanic Botanic

Reaction score
I've been thinking about Tucson as a home base as well. It seemed pretty dope when I passed through. Met some cool people at an anarchist coffee shop called Revolutionary Grounds.

It has some of the cheapest rent and a high minimum wage. You could live comfortably with a shitty part time job there. Lots of cheap houses with backyards too. Would be great for working on camper builds n shit. I remember seeing some trailers for rent for like $300/month or some shit. Some studios were like $500/month. If you share a house with people, you could easily do $300/month ea.

Not too big, not too small either. 500k population. A bit of a college town vibe. There's also that cool strip with bars n shit on 4th avenue. Had no problem finding vegan food either. Oh, and lots of nature nearby. I spent most of my time out in the desert looking for bones of dead immigrants, so you got that too.

I didn't spend enough time there, unfortunately, so I didn't get a good enough feel of the culture and scene there. If anyone has any input on that, that'd be great. It seemed like it would have a dope arts scene, but I honestly have no clue. There were some hot ass hippie/punk chicks hanging out at that anarchist coffee shop. I feel like that'd be a good introduction to all the cool people in the area.

Last edited:

Tyler65

Reaction score
Website
whatatimetobealivenotesfromthefringe.blogspot.com
I might be staying there for part of this winter with my bff, ya boi!

Good to hear about some friendly, like-minded folks.

How is the vegan scene and intentional community type stuff?

D

Deleted member 20683

wintered there a couple times back in the day, loved it. i love trashy sun belt towns though. i was there again a few years ago and it seemed like the whole 4th ave/uni area gentrified a lot. gets super insanely hot in the summer if i'm not mistaken that's why i prefer the higher altitude southwest.

Object

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Nice place to visit. Shot in the dark cafe 24 hr. downtown and usfries has good poutine now called the crackhouse on 4th, there's free shower spot fourth floor of the natural history building on campus. . Be careful at night gets pretty wild..

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads