Traveling Tomahawk

West

Squatter Fodder
Current Location
Central Texas
I'm planning on forging a tomahawk head that slips on and off of handles of any length. A train Graff writer i met would carry a tomahawk head and handle separately in a satchel - both are legal to carry so long as they're not attached.

I'm curious whether this is true everywhere? I'd make a leather belt sheath for the head and a loop for the handle if so, and wear both in sketch areas.

Thoughts in general?

Dmac

Hobo
Current Location
outside omaha
I carry one and have never been hassled for it. i also carry it with the ax head removed from the handle. also sometimes carry a folding pruning saw and have only been asked why, never been hassled for that either.

Reactions: West
Current Location
Texas
If you buy from Amazon it comes out to $50 and some change with shipping. But if you buy it directly from the makers website they're like $69 plus shipping.

Driftwoodbnsf

Rambler
Current Location
Livingston, Montana
I have forged railroad spike knives. I would like to make an axe head. Do you have any information on the process? I just saw all this and was curious.
I've seen a video on youtube of a cool tomahawk made from a railroad spike. Don't remember the exact title but with a little searching you should be able to find something. I also knew a guy who forged knife blades out of old leave springs from cars. He used a battery powered blower fan and charcoal as his forge. Worked pretty well.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

Donate to StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$30.00
Goal
$50.00

Latest Status Updates

Gotz trainz on the brainz
I just got back to LA from the Bay - it was a very busy but happy trip. Went to Mt. Diablo, went to Berkeley and the City, even met up with @beyondthepaleogender! I did Craigslist rideshare both there and back, and both rides went fucking awesome :) Gonna post up for a bit and then I will (finally) begin hitchhiking east. Also - as of yesterday, I have been modding /r/Runaway for exactly a year now! :)
Been a while since I last posted on this thing.
Being stuck in PDX for the winter sucked n I’m looking to hit the road to NorCal in May.
Why would anyone wan to love like you?
Live by their rules or live by your own. . don't have kids
Today I am most grateful for water towers
Gonna be in Cheyenne for the first time today. If you’re in the area, stop by the crown bar and come rage!
I have a day/night to kill in the Bay Area if anyone is bored.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Threads in last 24 hours
Messages in last 24 hours
Members in last 30 days
Latest member
chief