Toronto or Montreal?

gortex

Reaction score
i'm in my hometown cleveland right now, but looking to venture into canada once winter passes. i was wondering what is a better city to be in: toronto or montreal?

a large determining factor is whether there is a good art scene or not. i'm looking to sell my artwork on the street as a means of getting by.

also, should i get my passport, or is it not really necessary?

any information is greatly appreciated.
also add anything else that you think i should know.

thanks!

steelcitybrew

Reaction score
your gunna need your passport to get across the border if your doing that legally. Id say prolly montreal man, but you could probably get away with doing that in any city, if I were in your shoes i would choose one of the coasts.

Dirt tribal

Reaction score
Montréal is a artistic city of canada, alot of street festival all summer long(free shows), bunch of music shows in bars, bunch of bars all over the streets(cheap beer), cheapest rent of canada, street arts. Sale art in the street is commun, you mait nead a permit but not nessecerly. Old Montréal is popular for that. If your bored of the big city, you can mouve to Quebec city(a predy city)) where you can do the same hiven easyerly. If you like to ang out and play Djembe you can go to Mont-royal Montréal: you can also sale artwork overthere, there is a bunch of peaple doing that over there.If you have question juste ask. Have a good trip :)

DisPanik

Reaction score
Yeah MONTREAL!

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
More of a Toronto fan myself but ya art scene in MTL is a little more condensed....you will have to deal with the french English thing though.

Permafrost

Reaction score
From here: http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/security-securite/admiss-eng.html
If you are a citizen of the United States, you do not need a passport to enter Canada. However, you should carry proof of your citizenship, such as a birth certificate, certificate of citizenship or naturalization, as well as photo identification. If you are a permanent resident of Canada or the U.S, you should bring your Permanent Resident Card with you.

I'd say get your passport anyway, it's easier and always good to have.

As of today there's no snow on the ground in Toronto, so spring may come early there. Others have already covered the arts scene, but I'd highly recommend Montreal. There's no need to speak a word of French, but don't assume everyone you meet speaks good English (most do).

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Reaction score
How about Quebec City? I have not been there since the early 90's, but I remember there being lots of artists on the streets all throughout
the old city. I remember the whole English-French language barrier being a little more of a problem though. It's an interesting city, the "new" city surrounds the "old" city, and the old city is surrounded by a massive wall full of old restored canons. On the inside it's mostly narrow cobblestone streets and practically everyone speaking French, you feel as though you are in some little bubble of Europe. If I'm not
mistaken, I think it's the only walled city in North America?
Anyway, like I said, I havn't been to that part of Canada in a looong time.
Maybe picking up a few words in French wouldn't hurt either. Simple stuff like...
thank you, please, yes, no, hello, goodbye, where's the bathroom? Stuff like that.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads