To ditch or not to ditch? | Squat the Planet

To ditch or not to ditch?

cultofsam

the messiah.
Reaction score
Website
thecultofsam.tumblr.com
So I have 3 people hitch hiking with me, I'm 20 years old, my husband is 22, my best friend is 21 and this kid is 17. Well, I found him in my home town and he was homeless with no where to go so I brought him home with me, he lived in my apartment and eventually when the time came to bounce he tagged along. Little did I know, the kids an asshole. He's really mean to me all the time and yells at me constantly, calls me really hurtful things and says really fucked up shit about me when I'm not around. He uses all my stuff, but then if I need something he freaks out. I told him and this random dude I met in WV I was going to try to get bus tickets to CA, him being 17 and the other boy 18, they can just call the run away hot line, for us older dks it was a lot harder to get them for, so basically this is what I need help deciding. I have found three bus tickets, paid in full from Wheeling, WV to Long Beach, CA...One for me, my best friend and my husband. Do I not get on the bus and deal with these two kids or do I leave tomorrow at 2pm and leave them to find their own way? I really need input in the situation, I'm torn.

Reactions: Mankini

MolotovMocktail

Subverting from within
Reaction score
It sounds harsh but they're really not your responsibility. You've already done a lot more for them than you needed to (letting one of them crash in your apartment, sharing your stuff, etc.), and that's great. But you're not obligated to stay with them.

It's one thing to help out people who you like, but it they're holding you back or being assholes, you have every right to ditch them. It's going to be hard but you should explain to them that you want to travel for a while with just your husband and friend and get on that bus.

That's my opinion, at least. Helping people is a good thing to do but if it's interfering with your life or making you unhappy, you should re-evaluate the situation. Your own well-being (as well as the well-being of your husband and best friend) should come first.

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
yea, what everybody else said. FUCK HIM! You offered him a place to stay and your stuff, but when time comes for him to help you out there are problems?!?!?! Sounds like a no brainer. Sounds like he is young and immature and needs to learn some respect. I would definitely tell him (or write him) how I feel so maybe it would sink in for him and he could learn something, and then ditch him. No use in being around someone like that.

Reactions: Mankini

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
and I know on your profile page it says you started this cult or whatever that is about family and helping people....but sometimes you really just need to put your foot down and tell someone to fuck off when they are dragging you down and being a douchebag. there's people that will take advantage of your kindness or ideas about "family" but you must look out for YOURSELF #1

cultofsam

the messiah.
Reaction score
Website
thecultofsam.tumblr.com
I think we figured out what we are going to do, my best friend told him we are done with him (I'm so happy I didn't have to do it) and gave him instructions on how to get where he wants/needs to go, so tomorrow when I leave he should find something to do with his life.

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Nomad Missionary & Tree Hugging Jesus Freak
Reaction score
Glad to hear it.

People only deserve help if they deserve it and once they no longer deserve it, it's time to let them sink.

I too, help people who need it, but there's a difference in helping and being an enabler.

You made the right choice.

MolotovMocktail

Subverting from within
Reaction score
Hey folks, this thread is from 2015. Please pay attention to the age of threads before replying to them! :)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads