To ditch or not to ditch? (1 Viewer)

cultofsam

the messiah.
Current Location
Batavia, N.Y.
Website
thecultofsam.tumblr.com
So I have 3 people hitch hiking with me, I'm 20 years old, my husband is 22, my best friend is 21 and this kid is 17. Well, I found him in my home town and he was homeless with no where to go so I brought him home with me, he lived in my apartment and eventually when the time came to bounce he tagged along. Little did I know, the kids an asshole. He's really mean to me all the time and yells at me constantly, calls me really hurtful things and says really fucked up shit about me when I'm not around. He uses all my stuff, but then if I need something he freaks out. I told him and this random dude I met in WV I was going to try to get bus tickets to CA, him being 17 and the other boy 18, they can just call the run away hot line, for us older dks it was a lot harder to get them for, so basically this is what I need help deciding. I have found three bus tickets, paid in full from Wheeling, WV to Long Beach, CA...One for me, my best friend and my husband. Do I not get on the bus and deal with these two kids or do I leave tomorrow at 2pm and leave them to find their own way? I really need input in the situation, I'm torn.

Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!

MolotovMocktail

Subverting from within
Staff member
Current Location
Bellingham, WA
It sounds harsh but they're really not your responsibility. You've already done a lot more for them than you needed to (letting one of them crash in your apartment, sharing your stuff, etc.), and that's great. But you're not obligated to stay with them.

It's one thing to help out people who you like, but it they're holding you back or being assholes, you have every right to ditch them. It's going to be hard but you should explain to them that you want to travel for a while with just your husband and friend and get on that bus.

That's my opinion, at least. Helping people is a good thing to do but if it's interfering with your life or making you unhappy, you should re-evaluate the situation. Your own well-being (as well as the well-being of your husband and best friend) should come first.

montucky

Lurker
Current Location
Visalia, CA
Ditch, they took advantage of your kindness and generosity. People like that need to get with the fucking program and be cool, and generous themselves. Sorry that happened to you, happy travels to the LBC.

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Current Location
Darrington, WA
yea, what everybody else said. FUCK HIM! You offered him a place to stay and your stuff, but when time comes for him to help you out there are problems?!?!?! Sounds like a no brainer. Sounds like he is young and immature and needs to learn some respect. I would definitely tell him (or write him) how I feel so maybe it would sink in for him and he could learn something, and then ditch him. No use in being around someone like that.

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Current Location
Darrington, WA
and I know on your profile page it says you started this cult or whatever that is about family and helping people....but sometimes you really just need to put your foot down and tell someone to fuck off when they are dragging you down and being a douchebag. there's people that will take advantage of your kindness or ideas about "family" but you must look out for YOURSELF #1

OP
cultofsam

cultofsam

the messiah.
Current Location
Batavia, N.Y.
Website
thecultofsam.tumblr.com
I think we figured out what we are going to do, my best friend told him we are done with him (I'm so happy I didn't have to do it) and gave him instructions on how to get where he wants/needs to go, so tomorrow when I leave he should find something to do with his life.

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Sock Monkey Queen
Current Location
Port Richey Florida
Website
www.thebohemiancelt.com
Glad to hear it.

People only deserve help if they deserve it and once they no longer deserve it, it's time to let them sink.

I too, help people who need it, but there's a difference in helping and being an enabler.

You made the right choice.

lone wolf

Pilgrim
i have a hard time hanging out with people i like... this kid would have been out on his ass along time ago.

Durp

Wayfarer
Current Location
VA for now
I would have got em drunk and left them in the middle of a field somewhere. If he was a really little prick maybe taken all his things and close to give them a lesson in respect.

Draggyn

Lurker
Current Location
Texas
If they cannot respect you, your family, or friends. BOUNCE!! Easy come, easy go..

MolotovMocktail

Subverting from within
Staff member
Current Location
Bellingham, WA
Hey folks, this thread is from 2015. Please pay attention to the age of threads before replying to them! :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MetalBryan Travel Stories 1
N0MAD General Gear Discussion 19

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$40.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $40.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $40.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $40.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $40.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Just then walking through the stupor market carpark when I saw this 13/14 year old kid saying to his mates ( while making the gestures)" you get the smack in this arm and the ice in this arm it's filth"!!!!!!
The user account self-delete system is back online.
siid wrote on raincheck's profile.
gang goin dummy bitch yiiizzzZzzzzZz love u :👽:

Trains in 2017: 0
2018: 1
2019: 32 and counting
croc wrote on bowldog's profile.
Love ur profile pic. She looks so sultry peeking thru the trees
dumpsternavel wrote on Rhubarb Dwyer's profile.
So clevar
The only good part about the ER is the BE that comes before-hand! :p
forgot how fast people'll throw the first blow in the street
got complacent having only sparred with friends recently.
was socked in the head,
only managed to block the second blow or so
before being knocked to the ground

(to be fair, knocking us off our feet isn't hard when we require a cane or smth to support ourselves most days)
Currently in Louisiana , I'm off the road. Had Hep C an liver cancer. Don't ever forget to be free from the man you have to leave it all behind, each an every time.

Members online