Thoughts on this van?

iflewoverthecuckoosnest

Reaction score
It's cool. I appreciate all of your advice so far! I will give them both a ring tomorrow and root around a little bit. Also couldn't hurt to find an independent mechanic to check it out for me before I drop any cash. I have a really good gut feeling about the Station Wagon, but maybe that's just my eagerness to hit the road again, lol.

iflewoverthecuckoosnest

Reaction score
It's finally settled! Picking up this Subaru Station wagon about 12 minutes away from my house tomorrow morning :) Countless thanks to the fantastic, strange and increasingly cosmic wanderer we all know as @creature for pointing it out to me and guiding me through the purchase of my first gypsy mobile. And, of course, thanks to the rest of you glorious hobos for helping me discern what NOT to buy, and offering various examples of what might work. Just... thanks all around. I'd buy us all beers if I could. Cheers ::drinkingbuddy::

https://goldcountry.craigslist.org/cto/5238953409.html

Reactions: 4t7 and milkhauler
D

Deleted member 13433

wow - that looks like a real nice ride !!

Glad the owner is up-front about any issues [***only issue with the car is the check engine light comes on (car is being sold as is)and about 1/3 of the time it starts a little rough but then runs fine after 20-30 seconds...this car has never let me down..no accidents...never had an issue...]

See if you can find out what kind of maintanence has been done [timing belt, brakes, tires, those kinds of things... if it's ever had a tune up, if the exhaust system is original.... nothing there I would say is a deal breaker as there's nothing better than a solid car [something my white jeep isn't] but it's good to know if there is any thing which should be looked at or should be replaced as all cars need to be maintained.

When I bought my Country Squire - the trans fluid was brown and varnished which would tend to send many people running away, but we changed the fluid a couple of times and 10,000 miles later the fluid is still nice and red and smells like it should.

Again, that's a real nice car - I'd certainly buy it - but again, ask about what's been done to keep it on the road just so you have an idea of any work which you should consider doing.

Enjoy !!

iflewoverthecuckoosnest

Reaction score
Brought her home today :) I am wondering if the rough starting could be an issue with the transmission fluid levels... I don't know. It doesn't do well with long periods of idling, either, but once it's up and running it's solid as hell. Runs quiet and smooth. Accelerates, breaks, and cruises all fine and dandy. I really enjoy the feel of driving it. I'll check the fluid levels and go from there.

The guy I bought it from hadn't used it too much, said it hadn't given him much trouble. He was mostly using it for trips around town. One of those guys who really likes collecting vehicles and has more than he knows what to do with, much to his wife's contention :p

I might be able to hunt down some info on carfax, or maybe ask if he could get me in touch with the previous owner.

It's a lovely gypsy wagon, all in all. Can't wait to stuff her with blankets and mischief so that we can gallop off into the wild blue yonder together.

D

Deleted member 13433

I know this sounds crazy... I had a 1970 Plymouth Duster which was all souped up, and I went through a period of time where she did not want to start and it was attributed to a bad torque converter [part of auto trans] but since your car has the check engine light on, my guess is you have a bad sensor somewhere.

I am assuming your car is fuel injected.

My 1990 Jeep stalls all the time at first, but that's a choke issue [she's carburated]

Sometimes idling problems can also indicate a clogged catalytic converter - which my 1993 Jeep has experienced lots of times :(

Might just need a tune up, maybe fuel filter is clogged..... gosh, could be anything.

Car fax comes in very handy if wanting to know the truth of your car, I use it quite a bit when need be.

I also have several vehicles, only two run properly and 1, well I use it only when doing river clean-up.
The other vehicles sit in my yard.................... so I guess I know how that man who sold you your ride feels, except that I am single and don't have anyone complaining :)

iflewoverthecuckoosnest

Reaction score
Yeah, who knows. I'm hoping it's something simple that I can resolve with my entry level mechanic skills, lol. Maybe some air in the gas tank.

If not, I've got a buddy traveling in a converted short bus who contacted me and offered up his mechanical expertise if I should find myself having trouble with the wagon. Plus, Creature offered to teach me how to work on her a little. I think that between all of us, the internet, and your suggestions, we'll be able to get to the bottom of it.

In any event, she does run, and she doesn't seem to have any other odd problems or noises. So, for a thousand dollar station wagon, not shabby at all. Pretty beautiful, in my book :)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads