Thoughts on this van?

iflewoverthecuckoosnest

Reaction score
My car finally gasped its last. Been looking into trucks and vans and am considering this van. I am hoping to haggle it down a bit. I like the 8 cylinders. Would prefer diesel, but have yet to find a diesel van in my price range. The gas mileage on passenger vans is decent, though, so I am willing to compromise.
What do all of you rubber tramp extraordinaires think, in your professional opinions? Will it take me far?

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/5234091591.html

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
yeah.. 320,000 is huge..
almost 40,00 per year..
that probably means either all highway or hwy with a delivery mix.

also has a tow hitch that looks like it's been used..

i wouldn't touch it, i dun think..

Preacher

Reaction score
I agree. Over 300k in 12 years? Too many miles. Unless maybe it was a fleet van and they have maintenance records gong back to the beginning. Was the tranny replaced within the last 100k miles? Those are some things that MIGHT make it worth a second look. But in any case, not for over 1k.

creature

Banned
Reaction score
mm.. yah.. good point.. only if the records are intact.. if it has a tranny with 100k, AND was run using a synthetic oil from the get go, it could still have some good guts left..
both are highly, highly unlikely, though.

iflewoverthecuckoosnest

Reaction score
I don't think I'll be in the bay until the 1st or so. I hope we get to meet up soon, Creature, you glorious and strange beast! We keep just barely grazing by each other.
I'm going to give some of the CL sellers a call tomorrow with some questions to weed out my options. Will post the remaining contenders for opinions, perhaps :)

So, looking for:
- 8 cylinders
- Less than 100,000 miles, preferably, but AT LEAST under 200,000
- No weird noises or major mechanical issues
- Chevy preference (but not a requirement)
- Look out for tow hitches and rust
Sound good, guys? Any additions?

creature

Banned
Reaction score
there is a *huge* amount to say..

how much travel do you expect to do?
how much stuff do you have?
how much will it be a work vehicle?
how much daily driving?

DO NOT get an 8 cylinder if you aren't going to use it for heavy hauling..
if you *do* get an 8, get an extended van..

if you want to travel, there are threads here on all wheel drive vans & mini vans..

iflewoverthecuckoosnest

Reaction score
I plan to travel all around the country in it, possibly even up to Canada. Not much of a work vehicle, though. Mostly just need mileage durability. I also won't be taking much cargo in it. Just some clothes, my guitar, basic necessities, and a few books. I suppose that a 6 cylinder would be fine, since I'm not hauling much.
I'll look up those threads! Thank you!

milkhauler

Reaction score
How far can you go to look at a van? I'm down here in Fresno about 2.5 hrs away. Plenty of good low mileage vans around here in the central valley. Keep looking on CL. I just picked up 94 Chrysler LHS. Owned by some old lady had stowed away in garage. The interior looks like it was never sat in. Body is mint! Black leather and a sunroof. All for $1400.

I found it by accident, was browsing CL out of boredom. If a passenger van will do ya, look for a church van. Ever seen them speeding? They take good care of those vans. Something will pop up. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

milkhauler

Reaction score
Yeah. You never know with CL. They have an app that will integrate with CL and will send you an email the second something is posted that meets your criteria. Good luck. Let us know what you get. [emoji1]

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads