Thoughts on florida | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Thoughts on florida

D

Deleted member 125

I'mma give you a hug if I ever see ya in person.

[Edit] Originally said mouth hug but then I googled it and realized it's a blowie. I love my boy but I don't think I'm ready for that one. Idk what else I thought it would have meant. Let's start with a hug.

You don't have to back peddle our relationship is well documented. What else would a mouth hug possibly be besides a hummer?

@Irate Pirate Miami had been long gentrified by the time I was a teenager, and having pretty high expectations from growing up reading SCAM I tried for a lot of my youth to find florida anything but a awful place filled with the worst kind of people. I've been to all the cities you mentioned and unless a shit ton has changed they are all pretty miserable with Miami being top of the list for me. Cuban coffee is great and the drive through fruit market/liquor store was neat, but that's gotta be gone now. I would say my opinion is super biased because I grew up mostly in south Florida but especially for traveling it's just a lousy state.

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
You don't have to back peddle our relationship is well documented. What else would a mouth hug possibly be besides a hummer?

Well, I thought maybe it was like giving you a hug with my mouth. Like verbally, as in I adore you my friend. Like something sweet I might say, a mouth hug right? We're gonna get in trouble for derailing, shhhh. Say no more. Hey how bout them oranges tho huh? Are the oranges decent at least? Or just hype?

• Haha
Reactions: Doobie_D
D

Deleted member 125

It's a god damn orange jason of course it's decent, but that's all it will ever be. "Come to Florida, the oranges are decent." There I just saved the state millions of dollars on this summers state slogan. Decent oranges, mosquitos all year round, and a lot of dudes walking around in flip flops. That's all anyone ever needs to know about florida, if that sounds like yer thing then come on down and get a dui.

croc

Reaction score
Florida: Home of the DUI

Irate Pirate

Reaction score
So, an entire city of selfish coked out assholes, a place where rich white men walk between raindrops(per this video) Yeah.. sounds fuckin cool bro!

Careful with those JRE plugs, you're gonna summons STP user voted "Friendliest Mod" @SlankyLanky I think if you say JRE three times he appears, never pretty.

It was! Not for that reason but I just kinda dug the general lawlessness of the place myself. I didn't hang out with any rich white men though. Mostly broke ass punks of various ethnic backgrounds. I feel like the kind of rich white men they were describing in the video "walk between the raindrops" the world over. Also the only difference between the selfish coked out assholes in Miami and any other city is the Miami part. There's assholes coked out and not coked out everywhere. I posted the video mostly just because it's funny but as they say there's a little truth in every joke. I just like how that dude Billy Corben clearly loves where he's from but can still see it's (very obvious) terrible side too and doesn't just ignore it or not talk about it. He made a documentary called Cocaine Cowboys and I can't recommend it enough. It's fucking crazy. The dude Mickey Munday in that movie used to hang out at a bar we'd all go to sometimes in North Miami. It was like meeting Macgyver (but actually cool and not a cop or whatever Macgyver is) in real life. Sorry for taking weeks to write back to you.

Irate Pirate

Reaction score
@Irate Pirate Miami had been long gentrified by the time I was a teenager, and having pretty high expectations from growing up reading SCAM I tried for a lot of my youth to find florida anything but a awful place filled with the worst kind of people. I've been to all the cities you mentioned and unless a shit ton has changed they are all pretty miserable with Miami being top of the list for me. Cuban coffee is great and the drive through fruit market/liquor store was neat, but that's gotta be gone now. I would say my opinion is super biased because I grew up mostly in south Florida but especially for traveling it's just a lousy state.

@SlankyLanky
Yeah I'm sure growing up in south Florida might not have been all that fun. I grew up in New England and I'm really not a big fan of a lot of it. The weather's decent like 4 months out of the year but I stay here mostly for the people and that's usually what makes or breaks a place for me. If the people suck I'm planning my next move pretty quickly but if there's a bunch of cool folks around I'll stay a while. I haven't lived in FL in a while so maybe it's all completely different now but I had a good time living and traveling around when I was there. When I was in Miami I lived in a house with I think 12 other people who were all fun, cool, talented people so that definitely made a difference. There was always something going on. I don't know if you or anyone else on here remembers The Firefly but it was a house that had shows and a zine library and a bike workshop and stuff like that. We all lived in a house right behind them so we had this little punk community of around 20 or so people going on. It was really fucking rad. And while it's definitely different now I gotta think there's still cool people and cool shit to do there.

My recommendation to anyone thinking about going there would be obviously if you know someone there and can crash on their couch for a bit, that is the optimal situation so I'd absolutely go hang out and see Miami. If you're hopping trains and sleeping outside it might not be great. That said though, there's all kinds of out of the way wooded areas and parks to sleep in so I don't know. You could probably get by doing that for a while. Virginia Key and Key Biscayne come to mind (both on the Rickenbacker Causeway).

Doobie_D

The Slack Action Hero
Reaction score
I suppose now that I'm a card carrying resident of deaths waiting room I should list my pros and cons.

Cons :

The crack of the east coast.. it seems like all the worst, rich, old , Yankees from up north comprise about 60% of the state.

Extreme summer heat and humidity

lots of creepy crawlies which make it wise to bring a hammock with mosquito net

Permanent tourist season (which I find annoying as a resident but it's great for busking)

Having to keep an eye out for gators in all the good swimming holes

Hurricane season..as if the threat of hurricanes wasn't bad enough .. It also tends to rain hard/ thunderstorm damn near every day during the season.

Hitchhiking is challenging (it's no Oklahoma though )

Pros

Warm in the winter, spring, fall

The ocean AND the gulf. Both a nice warm swim

Trees that, at the right time of years contain: oranges, limes, lemons, mango's, lychee, Logan, jackfruit, bananas, papaya ect.. Ect.. Seriously check out fruit and spice park in Homestead, Fl.

Gator despite being a possible danger to you in the water is also on the menu in alot of places. One of my favorites for sure.

Low growing Palmetto dominate most of the understory of the pine woods and it'd a great set up for making camp. Seriously.. You can walk 4 feet into the woods and be completely hidden.

Great fishing , crabbing, scalloping (you can just pick them up off the gulf floor), and lobstering in the keys (they don't even freaking have claws!!!).. While you do need a license for all that...if one were... To Be lost and starving 😉

Unlimited Flakka!!!

Unlimited free entertainment in the form of "Florida Man"

There is a cubensis and pan cyan season.. Not to mention Chantrelles, oysters, lions mane, chicken of the woods..no morels tho

FEC.. While I hate on them alot.. it sure is purty. Especially when it runs along the Indian river. It's fast, on an impeccable time schedule and no matter where you get off your no more than a mile or two from the ocean.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 20975

I just heard from a Brazilian rubber tramper its the best place to plate a car if you arent an American citizen. "Heres an address, no questions asked, kind of thing" dont know about price tho. Otherwise ive only been to disneyworld. (Passes dont expire :)

Attachments

• 15629800542774089267126600103491.jpg
    15629800542774089267126600103491.jpg
    659.1 KB · Views: 271

Cici Carmella

Reaction score
Hello friends,
I am new to this website, but am finding it to be very helpful so far. I have recent found myself in a predicament leaving me backpacking I guess you could call it. I am currently living in ocalay Florida, looking for any kind of either ride out to California, a road partner to travel with, or someone going on an adventure who wouldn't mind need coming along with them I am friendly spiritual and I really love music I like to write songs and poems about my experiences. I love adventure and am hoping to find a new journey and a new path, away from drama and fake friends, and towards something new and enriching. (352) 340-0021.
Lots of love,
Carmella

Irate Pirate

Reaction score
Hello friends,
I am new to this website, but am finding it to be very helpful so far. I have recent found myself in a predicament leaving me backpacking I guess you could call it. I am currently living in ocalay Florida, looking for any kind of either ride out to California, a road partner to travel with, or someone going on an adventure who wouldn't mind need coming along with them I am friendly spiritual and I really love music I like to write songs and poems about my experiences. I love adventure and am hoping to find a new journey and a new path, away from drama and fake friends, and towards something new and enriching. (352) 340-0021.
Lots of love,
Carmella

If I were you first I'd get out of Ocala asap and go to Gainesville. There's more people there, more young people there and just more of a chance you'll find a ride and/or someone to travel with. When there I'd check out rideshares on Craigslist or on here. The Civic Media Center is a cool place to check out too if you've never been to Gainesville and there's rad people that work there. Good luck!

• Agree
Reactions: Doobie_D and croc

void gaze

Reaction score
I’m based out of SW FL with family this winter. Trying to scare up a good road bike to explore the surrounding counties with or maybe grab a train to Tampa?? Maybe a seasonal job...anywhere good to busk? Definitely most of these crackers seem square as hell...been telling people “this is America’s trash can I always knew I’d wind up here” lmaooo

• Haha
Reactions: Doobie_D

zenchop

Reaction score
Im not in Florida was thinking about going there ...everyone says irs a shit hole can't be much worse than jndiana
trust me, it can be. I grew up here and am currently stuck here for another six months before i can get back to Vegas and then slab city. Fuck Florida, Panama city used to be cool don't know if it still is. Gainesville sold out, Orlando is tolerable but unforgiving, Ocala is garbage cop wise Flagler was decent and fun. Daytona is alright if you live off edge ive heard. Come on vacation leave on probation

jimbo slice

Reaction score
trust me, it can be. I grew up here and am currently stuck here for another six months before i can get back to Vegas and then slab city. Fuck Florida, Panama city used to be cool don't know if it still is. Gainesville sold out, Orlando is tolerable but unforgiving, Ocala is garbage cop wise Flagler was decent and fun. Daytona is alright if you live off edge ive heard. Come on vacation leave on probation
Live off edgr
Live off edge

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads