Things to know if yer in Sacramento

R

rideitlikeyoustoleit

So, I'm moving away from Sacramento, but I figure before I should post helpful info in case your stuck here. I know Sac gets a bad rap, and we're kinda short on punk houses (really, punks in general) right now, but it's not all that bad.

As I said, there are not really any traveler friendly punk houses at the moment, unless your friends with someone at one of the houses, but sometimes if you ask around people will be nice and let you stay. The majority of the punks live in North Oak Park, so walking around this area you should be able to pick out the houses.

There is also an area ripe for squatting called Alkalai Flats. This area is north downtown (think around 13th St and E St) and is full of awesome houses ripe for the picking! Also, there might be some squats there already that occasionally have house shows.

There are decent shows pretty often, but relatively at the same couple of places. Java Lounge has the majority of punk and metal shows, they are on 16th and Broadway. Right across from them on 16th and Broadway is R5, which has free shows pretty often. Also there is a tiny place called the Hub (23rd and S) that has shows a lot of the time too.

It's hella hard to hitch out of Sac. So, if your going to the bay, amtrak is REALLY easy to scam. You can hide in the bathroom the whole ride. And, if you have the patience to figure it out, you can pretty much take the bus system pretty far out of Sacramento to the north, west, and east (I'm not sure about south so much). You can piece it together from this Transit Links - Sacramento Regional Transit

Food Not Bombs in Sacramento is every Sunday at Cesar Chavez Park ( J and 10th St) at 1:30. There are also free food servings at Loaves and Fishes at various times (1321 North C. St). I think they also hook it up with clothes and showers. Also, they do other homeless services like pet veterinary care and stuff like that.

If yer interested in dumpsters, there are quite a few. Savemart (56th & Folsom) is pretty constitant, La Superior (stockton & Perry), 99 cent store (folsom & julliard) are all cool. This is assuming you like veggies. Also, you can get bagels at Noah's Bagels (19th & J) and popcorn at the Tower Theatre (Broadway and 16th, it's vegan!).

Thats about all I can think of for now.

mylon

Lawn Care Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ha! That's funny I ended up unknowingly opening up a waystation here like 3 hours after you posted this.. Anyway, good post! Only thing I would add is that easily accessible rooftops are EVERYWHERE here, so at least during the summer it is no problem at all finding a place to sleep.

R

rideitlikeyoustoleit

Thats hella true. Also, there are two rivers here with nice camping spots. I would stay away from the american river, though, and check out the Sacramento river, south past Broadway Blvd.

Another note, at Miller Park (all the way west on Broadway) there are not only nice camp spots along the southbound bike trail, but a string of abandoned train cars to play on and an abandoned train tunnel for those of you with an affinity for graffiti.

And now theres a waystation! GO MEATROLL!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads