The weapon that makes you feel safe? | Squat the Planet

The weapon that makes you feel safe?

D

Deleted member 14481

Hey all,

What do you have on you that makes you feel safe, with or without having to use it? What are it's pros and cons? You can also post what you want to have, and it's known pros and cons.

I have mace. Legal in most states, and people just seeing that you have it makes most of them back off. It's also disregarded in some places as a weapon. The downside is some scumbags know one is less likely to use it, depending on the space. In enclosed spaces, the inhaling values of mace hits EVERYONE - including the defender. Sometimes, it doesn't get past security.

I want a flip knife - a weapon and a tool. People see it or hear it flip, and it's scum repellant. The downside is it wouldn't be able to get past security (easily).

I'm also going to make a sling, and get a slingshot. Easy to hide. No one thinks of it as a weapon on it's own. I can wear them. No metal or chemicals, so they can get past scanners. The con is they need ammo... and they would be easier for me to lose.

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
My brain...

Sounds cliché but it's served me well over the years. Using it keeps me out of situations where I may need the use of a second weapon.
I've been around the world and found myself in some pretty vile places. Had guns pointed in my face, had my life threatened many times. Never once needed a weapon other than a little critical thinking to get out of things.

99% of the situations where you may need a weapon, can be easily avoided with a little foresight. I've been on this earth 36 years now, never once had to stab a biatch.
There was once in Haiti where I came close but I quickly realized if I actually did anything, my situation would have gotten a million times worse.

I know that's not what your looking for in this thread, but it's worth considering before people get gung hoe over weapons.

D

Deleted member 125

...a sling? seriously? yer going to use a sling as a self defense weapon? im no weapon expert but im pretty sure theres alot of skill involved in using a sling as a even somewhat effective weapon. and im not sure if a flip knife is exactly scum repellent, i have one that i carry for day to day use. when i travel/camp i wear a 12 inch knife on my hip, if anything its basically a "dont fuck with me" kind of thing that i also use for splitting wood, and gutting fish. if it came to a fight ide be somewhat reluctant to stab somebody with it for the same reason wizehop said, but i dont go looking for trouble and it seems to not find me anyway.

mace is brutal, that shit hurts like hell and if yer in any kind of closed space you better bet yer as you are going to get it in yer face too. also be sure to wash up after using mace or being maced. touching yer junk with mace on yer hands is a awful awful thing.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
...a sling? seriously? yer going to use a sling as a self defense weapon? im no weapon expert but im pretty sure theres alot of skill involved in using a sling as a even somewhat effective weapon. and im not sure if a flip knife is exactly scum repellent, i have one that i carry for day to day use. when i travel/camp i wear a 12 inch knife on my hip, if anything its basically a "dont fuck with me" kind of thing that i also use for splitting wood, and gutting fish. if it came to a fight ide be somewhat reluctant to stab somebody with it for the same reason wizehop said, but i dont go looking for trouble and it seems to not find me anyway.

mace is brutal, that shit hurts like hell and if yer in any kind of closed space you better bet yer as you are going to get it in yer face too. also be sure to wash up after using mace or being maced. touching yer junk with mace on yer hands is a awful awful thing.

hehe - ok back in the day I hung most exclusively at biker bars and twice, dam it, the cops rushed in and snagged a guy - who for some reason was always standing next to me - so I got tossed aside too and then received some of that nice mace intended for the guy they were taking out. Nasty shit, can't breathe or see cause your eyes hurt. ugh. wrong place/wrong time :(

Reactions: beersalt
D

Deleted member 125

hehe - ok back in the day I hung most exclusively at biker bars and twice, dam it, the cops rushed in and snagged a guy - who for some reason was always standing next to me - so I got tossed aside too and then received some of that nice mace intended for the guy they were taking out. Nasty shit, can't breathe or see cause your eyes hurt. ugh. wrong place/wrong time :(

yea mace is seriously some nasty shit. the coughing/crying/throwing up is damn near unbearable. i wouldnt say im against carrying mace, but ide sure be pissed off if somebody i was with busted some out and used it while i was around because i do not want to go through that shit ever again.

MirandaLeigh

Reaction score
Being in Canada means bears...lots and lots of bears. So yeah, mace when I'm camping. I have a pocket knife but it's not for self defence, it would be shit for that. Honestly just dumb luck and a good head on my shoulders seem to be the best thing I have. I want a taser gun though.

Reactions: Coywolf and Mankini

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I need to get me one of those taser/flashlight combo tools, they are rechargeable, if you like to tase people alot, I guess. I carry bear mace. And I also started carrying this awesome thing I found, its a small hatchet/hammer/prybar combo tool, coolest thing I have ever owned, actually. as far as security goes, where exactly are you going that you need to pass through security? And Airport? Border crossing? Just ditch yer weapon and get another one on the other side.

But ya, your mind is #1. I have been able to outwit scumbags with verbal judo and the like 99% of the time. But there have been a couple times when I've had to display my weapon to get out of being robbed. So I am a proponent of always carrying one.

lone wolf

Reaction score
The only time I ever feel like I need a weapon is when I'm sleeping outdoors. I know the feeling of being unsafe is all in my head but that doesn't stop me from keeping a sharp piece of steel close by.

Reactions: Mankini

Killjoy

Reaction score
I carry a crowbar that fits in my vest if I need it close by, when I sleep its next to me. Its legal aslong as I never say its for self defence, its a way for me to crack squats. dont for a second even try to intimidate someone with the sound of your weapon. Thats childish. Im going to be blunt because if words offend you on here you have no business doing anything that you feel could make you vunerable you need a weapon. I would like a fixed blade thats short and can be hidden. I choose fixed because I find pocket knives and assisted take too long to deploy or ppull out in a situation I find to be realistic. Im assuming in most cases the threat has the upper hand so my reaction time would be shorter, leaving me to possibly use my fist. Gloves could be a good item to have if you think youll be in a fight anytime, depending on the material it would save your knuckles from blunt force, and palms from lacerations while serving all utility purposes. In any other scenario if you have time to react a folder knife would be good i think. Emerson makes folder knives that will deploy when you tug it out of your pocket. High end kit. Besides weapons your mind is most important, think of ways to avoid trouble, places to sleep you can narrow down chances you wont be found or get a heads up or even thinking of how youll be able to move in a fight. If you have a back pack can it be easily dropped? Tons of things to consider other then a weapon. Hope you have the other factors covered before you focus on the tool. Not trying to preach, hope no one thinks romantically about their weapon cause thats possibly more dangerous then being unarmed.

Horrid

Reaction score
All I've ever carried on me was a small thing of mace and I've yet to have to pull it out. They're right when they say your go to weapon should be your mind. If something ever feels off don't go forcing yourself into it, your gut instinct is probably right even when you think it's not.

wombatt

Reaction score
Website
nogodsnomasterz.tumblr.com
I keep a small fixed blade on my side and its relatively intimidating if taken out but is never something I'd use for self defense. Knives take skill to manouver and are generally not great weapons for people with no training but they are very intimidating and if you just want to feel safe or ward off creepers they are a good choice. For actual self defense though I Cary a smiley, it's legal (as long as you untie the bandana or have the key) and is much easier and more reliable for dealing blows. As for the power of the mind yeah most conflicts can be avoided but I am a small houseless queer person and sometimes trouble just finds me and there's not much I can do about it so I trust my smiley to fix any problem my words can't.

K

kokomojoe

THESE FISTS! But seriously I usually have a knife of some sort and never have to use it. I'd have to be in a pretty crazy situation to actually use it. Like mentioned above, your mind. Use it to avoid what you can and learn to avoid bad situations.

pakratpatthemule

Previously packmuler
Reaction score
long firm wooden umbrella that I found in a dumpster.

useful for rain, looks casual/non-threatening enough, can be used as a walking stick, it's got at least one good surprise jab in it before you switch to hands, can be used to distance yourself from a person, maybe even disarm a knife.

• Useful
Reactions: Chaseur and Mankini

Seeds21

Reaction score
When traveling a knife is always a usefull tool anyway but im surprised no one has mentioned this yet. A flathead or phillips screwdriver its legal to carry anywhere and fits in your pocket nicely not the most intimidating thing but i sure as hell wouldnt want to get stabbed by one. If your road tramping old style tire iron under the drivers seat.

EphemeralStick

Andie of the House of Queer
Reaction score
I don't carry weapons, besides a small pocket knife but it's tiny and more for utility than anything else. In a pinch I'll use what's around me. Bottles, debris, anything I could get my hands really.

Chillawhile

Reaction score
Again, your brain! Common sense is the most effective self defense "weapon" humans have.
Knives are great tools and you should probably have one at all times, however they are pretty bad weapons. As wombatt said, knives take skill to use properly, your just as likely to cut yourself as an attacker. And a flip, butterfly knife is even more likely to result in self injury (tho they sure are cool...)

Mace, great for outdoors, against bears. And only useful in close combat.
Tazers, ouch! in my experience if you have a tazer you are 100% more likely to "try it out" on yourself and friends while drunk or otherwise fucked up than in a fight.
Smiley, good for keeping distance. A whack or two to the head I imagine will give you enough time and space to get out of dodge.

Be smart and cautious, that generally reduces the risk of confrontation in the first place.

Also, your attitude helps a lot. If you carry yourself like a strong tough kid, scumbags are less likely to wanna mess with you. Be confident and smart and you should never need to use any other weapons.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads