The StP Bandana Project

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
uploadfromtaptalk1411350266881.jpg

Small update, I got the frame finished today! My carpentry skills suck but it turned out pretty okay.

Tomorrow I'm going to start the emulsion process and burning the image into the screen.

Reactions: nomad89 and Kye

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
okay, latest update!

so... it's funny how things turn out when you actually print them out in real life as opposed to looking at it on a computer screen:

IMG_20141001_165610.jpg

ignore the print quality, my printer was running out of ink.

IMG_20141001_165604.jpg

so it seems that the bandanna fabric i got is actually 20 x 21 inches, and the design i've been working on is 22 x 22. also, as you can see, the current size of the circle n's and a's are waaaay too big. also, most of the other symbols are far too large as well.

so... i got a bit of reworking of the design to do. i gotta shrink the symbols, fill the space with more symbols and shrink everything slightly to fit the space of the bandanna fabric.

man, bandannas are a bitch! i'll have a new design up soon.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Nah it's gonna get printed on transparency and done via emultion fluid method of silk screening

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
very cool. How much do you plan on selling them for?

i think we're shooting for $10 + shipping. i'm going to post an update here hopefully later today!

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
okay folks here's the latest update. like i stated before, when going to print the symbols and road/tracks were way too huge, so i shrunk them down to a more reasonable size. this created a lot of blank space for more symbols, so a spent a few hours searching for some and came up with a few which you can see in the image below. at this rate, it looks like i'll need another 12 images to fill in the rest, and then we'll be ready to print. so if you have suggestions, please let me know! it took me several hours to find the 9 new images i put in, so i could really use the help :)

now, as for printing... like i said before, i ordered about 50 black bandannas, but the quality wasn't that great, and they were cut weird (21 x 20 inches???) and so i decided to say fuck it, and eat the cost, cause the fabric just isn't up to spec. in the interest of time and trying to make these available as soon as possible, i've decided to pony up the $360 (+shipping) it'll take to have a real screen printer print this on proper fabric (and in the correct size :p).

so... as soon as i can get the design done, i'm sending it out to print. when it gets back i'll start taking orders. the more ideas you give me, the sooner the design will be finished!

So enough talk, here's the latest version:

Bandkerchief_StPv2.jpg

wombatt

Reaction score
Website
nogodsnomasterz.tumblr.com
Microcosm is owned and operated by rapists and because of that reason I think you should not include that symbol. Some other images that could be cool to put on could be little rucksacks or a wheelchair squat sign (I know there are already 2 squat related images but whatever) or perhaps a thumbs up (for the hitchhiker folk). Just my two cents

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Microcosm is owned and operated by rapists and because of that reason I think you should not include that symbol. Some other images that could be cool to put on could be little rucksacks or a wheelchair squat sign (I know there are already 2 squat related images but whatever) or perhaps a thumbs up (for the hitchhiker folk). Just my two cents
Yeah, I don't know the whole story but I heard the main (former?) owner was accused of that... But what symbol are you referring to? I didn't realize I'd borrowed something from microcosm...

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Not to get too off subject here, but from what I understand of that situation it's pretty unfair to say the whole operation is owned by rapists because of the actions of one person. I'd be willing to bet that there are a lot of good, innocent people there who would resent that kind of blanket statement. Just sayin' :-\

Reactions: Spooner
D

Deleted member 9332

idk about the four symbols on the right bud, they look real clean and don't fit really, plus man.....im a outlaw I cant wear a bunny. also two cents

hey, fuck you, man, goin' round sayin outlaws can't wear bunnies. what's your problem with bunnies?

okay folks here's the latest update. like i stated before, when going to print the symbols and road/tracks were way too huge, so i shrunk them down to a more reasonable size. this created a lot of blank space for more symbols, so a spent a few hours searching for some and came up with a few which you can see in the image below. at this rate, it looks like i'll need another 12 images to fill in the rest, and then we'll be ready to print. so if you have suggestions, please let me know! it took me several hours to find the 9 new images i put in, so i could really use the help :)

now, as for printing... like i said before, i ordered about 50 black bandannas, but the quality wasn't that great, and they were cut weird (21 x 20 inches???) and so i decided to say fuck it, and eat the cost, cause the fabric just isn't up to spec. in the interest of time and trying to make these available as soon as possible, i've decided to pony up the $360 (+shipping) it'll take to have a real screen printer print this on proper fabric (and in the correct size :p).

so... as soon as i can get the design done, i'm sending it out to print. when it gets back i'll start taking orders. the more ideas you give me, the sooner the design will be finished!

So enough talk, here's the latest version:

View attachment 17742

Although on the other hand that Guy Fawkes mask is a 100% no go, it looks bad on the bandana, and the mask isn't really a great symbol as it's been used by a group with pretty racist/sexist/homophobic tendencies from a website populated mostly by straight white males.

kaichulita

soul rebel
Reaction score
It looks great so far with the symbols Matt!

As for the extra symbols, I think it's going to be hard to find more to fill in the empty space so maybe make the bandana look something like this?

657564-black-bandana-with-white-ornaments--no-transparency-and-gradients-used-in-the-vector-file.jpg

The little designs spaced out around in a circle could be the symbols and then you could fill the space with a cool abstract design. The four corners and the middle would be replaced with the symbols you already have. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Xan

Raskolnikov

Reaction score
Against the Guy Fawkes mask.
Displeased with the decline of Catholicism in the UK, he decided to blow up parliament.

Do we really want to promote religious extremism?

Last edited:

nomad89

Reaction score
Against the Guy Fawkes mask.
Pissed with the decline of Catholicism in the UK, he decided the solution was to blow up parliament.
Do we really want to promote religious extremism?
While I understand the historical significance of Guy Fawkes, I feel like the modern usage of the mask has more to do with subverting unjust governments and (more specifically) is a reference to Anonymous and other groups of activists fighting for social justice.

Kal

Reaction score
Looks good could use a thumb for the hitchhikers and a freight train on the tracks would be cool. How do I order one and how much does it and when can I order one?

Reactions: buffalobill

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
While I understand the historical significance of Guy Fawkes, I feel like the modern usage of the mask has more to do with subverting unjust governments and (more specifically) is a reference to Anonymous and other groups of activists fighting for social justice.

yep. what he said.

The little designs spaced out around in a circle could be the symbols and then you could fill the space with a cool abstract design. The four corners and the middle would be replaced with the symbols you already have. Hope this helps.

I'll play around and see if I can come up with something. My Illustrator skills are limited :p

Love the bolt cutter addition :)

thanks, i was hoping you'd like that :)

Looks good could use a thumb for the hitchhikers

ok, i think i got a good one in there now. i'm working on the train.

How do I order one and how much does it and when can I order i'one?

i'm hoping to finish the design in the next 2-3 days. i'm guessing perhaps about 2 weeks after that i'll have the finished product in hand ready to sell. so hopefully, middle of november they'll be ready?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads